login

Author Topic: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge  (Read 8050 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 03:09:57 PM »

OK, we have a lot of ties here, so these will be some capsule-sized entries.

Spoilered for size.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Baltar is #48 as well ???
Is he #48 or 49? :-\

Edit: Ok looks like #49 has been revised..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:12:12 PM by RVR II »

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 10:07:28 PM »

The Ur-Quan

24 Points, 1 List, #1 CJones

The Ur-Quan are the villains in the Star Control game series

From the Ultranomicon:

The Ur-Quan are one of the oldest species known to the Alliance and are by far the greatest political and military power known to the galaxy for the past twenty millennia. Until their recent defeat by the New Alliance of Free Stars they were the dominant force in our galaxy, and countless sentient races' development have been halted by enslavement or genocide at their hands.

The Ur-Quan as we know them today are divided into two subspecies, the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za and the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah, which form separate cultural and political units and are thus treated in separate articles. This article is about the Ur-Quan species as a whole, including their development before the formal creation of the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah subraces.

What makes the Ur-Quan such great villains is because, as the story progresses, you find out about their tragic history. They were once part of a coalition of species known as the "Sentient Milieu". They formed the bulk of the military. On a routine survey mission, they happened upon a life form known as the Dnyarri, a species with extremely powerful mind control powers. They forced the Ur-Quan to destroy the Milieu, the only friends they had ever known. For thousands of years they were slaves to the Dnyarri, until they discovered that intense pain could break the mind control. They thought they had exterminated all the Dnyarri, but you stumble across one, and the Ur-Quan are terrified of it.

The Ur-Quan vowed they would never be slaves again, but the two factions disagreed on how to do this. The Kzer-Za gave all other species a choice: either work for them as battle thralls, or be confined to their homeword. The Khor-Ah favored just exterminating everyone who might be a threat. The two factions decided to circle the galaxy in opposite directions, and when they meet again, they would determine once and for all the fate of the remaining sentient species. This is where the game starts, with the two fleets converging.

Star Control 2 (aka The Un-Quan Masters) is easily one of the best games ever made, with some truly ingenious writing. It's not unlike Mass Effect, but with a much more diverse collection of aliens. And you can download and play it for free, completely legally, from here:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ 

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 02:37:09 AM »
Fung Sheng Wu Chi, FYI:

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 02:37:55 AM »
Those number ones are the most whacked out villains ever.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 03:09:06 AM »

Pazuzu

25 Points, 2 Lists, #9 Cleat

Your mother's in here, Karras. Would you like to leave a message? I'll see that she gets it.

Wanted For Possession, which is, like, 9/10ths of the law.

Pazuzu is the main antagonist of the Exorcist novel and film series.  Ancient and cruel, Pazuzu is based on an actual mythical demon from ancient Messopotamia.  In The Exorcist, Pazuzu possesses 12 year old Regan MacNeill and proceeds to hurt anyone who gets close to her and causes Regan and her family suffering from within.  Pazuzu returns to haunt Regan in the sequel (Which. Is. Nuts.) and Legion (which is actually better than you might expect) after being successfully exorcised (sort of) in the first story.

Pazuzu is powerful, though exactly how powerful is unclear.  Pazuzu states it could do more but it would be “far to vulgar a display of power”, which smells like BS to me.  I mean, Pazuzu’s other deal is that it lies, telling just enough truth and using enough info that can’t be verified to make one stop and think, even if for a moment.  Pazuzu likes to throw anyone and everyone off their game and upset them through words and acts of obscenity and freaking people out.  But despite the fact that much of what Pazuzu does is to get into people’s heads, it also has raw dangerous power and actual dangerous knowledge, such as predicting a deadly plane crash and causing it’s surroundings to change temperature and various telekinetic tricks.

Pazuzu really is a cancer.  It doesn’t seem to have much of a larger game beyond possessing people and debasing them to cause suffering.  Though there are moments it seems to be enjoying it, it is also unclear if this is the endgame.  Pazuzu also knows it wants to possess Karras but this is also unclear if this is to get more powerful or just cause suffering with a new toy.  But it is something that just basically sits in this family’s house and causes pain for those who love each other.  Though Pazuzu’s claims of being “the devil” are pretty questionable, it still remains an apt description as it seems to want to punish humans for their humanity and is otherwise something of a cipher, an unknowable stain on the world that tries to taint all that we value.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mYbKYyYkx1o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mYbKYyYkx1o</a>

Trivia
On the first day of filming the exorcism sequence, Linda Blair's delivery of her foul-mouthed dialogue so disturbed the gentlemanly Max von Sydow that he actually forgot his lines.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »

Norman Bates

25 Points, 2 Lists, #3 George 2.0

Uh-uh, Mother-m-mother, uh, what is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today.

Wanted For Multiple counts of murder, having terrible taste in grilled cheese sandwiches

Norman Bates is the main villain in the book and the movie Psycho, as well as the sequels to those things (yep, the book had a sequel, too).  Norman Bates is the proprietor of the Bates Motel, left to him by his mother and stepfather after their deaths.  With few customers since the highway was put in, he had little to do beyond his taxidermy and looking after his mother.  No, I didn’t type that in the wrong order but considering pretty much everyone knows the twist of Psycho, lets not beat around the bush.  In fact, if you find that amazing unicorn who DOESN’T know the twist, sit them in front of the movie ASAP as I did.

Anyway, Norman is sort of a good person… unfortunately, he was brought up by a truly abusive mother who warped him.  Norman eventually murdered her by poisoning her tea when she started seeing another man.  However, Norman also didn’t know how to go on without her and he snapped, stealing her corpse and keeping it preserved (in a mummified sort of way).  Soon he began speaking to and as the corpse, hurling abuse upon himself.  He, at times, would truly become his mother, even to the point of murdering “dirty” girls that Norman had an attraction towards.  Norman seems quite unaware of his murderous other side, thinking his dead mother is doing the killing.  That said, despite being an otherwise good guy, he doesn’t hesitate to cover up for the mother he loves, hiding bodies and lying to anyone who comes snooping around.

In the original novel, Norman is described in quite unflattering fashion, implying he is fat, homely and unlikable.  The film takes a different approach, with Norman being a fresh faced young man who is shy but kind to the character of Marion Crane, though there conversation slowly reveals his character’s edge.  As serial killers go, Norman is one of the more tragic ones, living in, in his words, a “trap of his own making”, built of a warped love for his mother and a desire to keep the two of them together, no matter how cruel she is to him/he is to himself.  In the films, Norman is played by Anthony Perkins, who does a fantastic job with the role, making him truly a sad monster of a man.  The film also makes the brilliant choice of killing off the character mid-way through the movie and forcing us to spend time and follow the film, for a while, through the eyes of Norman as he desperately tries to clean up “mother’s mess”.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Nv88ASiLmgk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Nv88ASiLmgk</a>

Trivia
When Marion is having a conversation with Norman in his parlor, Norman says in reference to his mother: "She had to raise me all by herself after my father died. I was only five and it must have been quite a strain for her." Anthony Perkins (Norman) was his parents' only child, and he, like Norman, suffered the loss of his father when he was five-years-old. From then on, he was raised by his mother.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 248
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
Psycho was one of my mother's favorite movies. The film and all its plot points are so well known these days, we might not even think about what it was like for an audience member who went in without any clue as to what was going to happen. I think a later commentary track spoke of this, but I first heard it from mom... She said that when Marion died it was jolting, "b-but, wasn't that supposed to be our protagonist?" and left without the protagonist, her sympathy first, briefly, shifted to Norman.

"That poor guy, what's he going to do with that mad mother of his?"

Of course, viewers like me didn't have that experience, we knew who mother was. We knew what was going to happen to Marion. As much as I love the movie, the look and the acting and story, I'll never know what it was like for those who saw it first and saw it cold. It must have been thrilling.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:52:21 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »

Anton Chigurh

25 Points, 3 Lists, #6 Cole Stratton

So this is what I'll offer - you bring me the money and I'll let her go. Otherwise she's accountable, same as you. That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't.

Wanted For Murder, theft, flagrant misuse of captive bolt pistol

Anton Chigurh is the main villain of the book and film No Country for Old Men.  Anton is a professional assassin and hitman who has a long line of bodies in his wake.  Devoid of compassion or humanity, Anton is willing to kill anyone or anything that gets in his way.  And even sometimes flips a coin to see if anyone unfortunately enough to cross his path deserve to die.  Strangely, he often acts as if his many acts of murder are out of his hands (often forcing others to flip the coin for him), sometimes giving people he threatens ultimatums they cannot survive (or have a 50/50 shot at in the case of a coin flip) saying it is “the best he can do.”  He is quiet and methodical, often talking in a low, measured deliberate voice and taking out targets with gradual precision.  One of his key weapons of choice is a captive bolt stunner, a device designed to stun/kill animals prior to slaughter and used air, which he uses to kill and even open locked doors.

In the story, Chigurh is tasked with finding stolen drug money, taken by ex-Vietnam vet Llewelyn Moss who ran into an exchange gone wrong by chance and hoped to use the money to make a better life for himself.  Anton ruthlessly tracks down Moss, forcing the two to battle in the streets and beginning a dangerous cat and mouse game between the two.  Chigurh also ends up facing Carson Wells, a bounty hunter also hired to find the money who makes a deal with Moss to trade the money for protection from Chigurh.

Chigurh has been described as the personification of evil and death but my take is he’s a guy who choices to assume that role, for whatever reason.  Perhaps it makes him feel more powerful and above it.  I also heard people say (spoilers)

My take is that this maniac believes making himself an idea puts him above in some fashion and if he has this weird cosmic role, he doesn’t need to consider anything he does his responsibility as much as him playing his part.  He is completely out there and beyond understanding of regular humanity.  Whether he is death or just brings it, he is nonetheless terrifying and strange many villains aim for but few excel at nearly as well as Chigurh.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OLCL6OYbSTw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OLCL6OYbSTw</a>

Trivia
His background and nationality are left undisclosed and largely open to speculation. When writer Cormac McCarthy visited the set of the film, the actors inquired about Chigurh's background and the symbolic significance of his name. McCarthy simply replied, "I just thought it was a cool name."

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
Speaking of No country for old men I play a game from time to time with my friend Lynn(who lives in Illinois). I'll text her "I'm looking for Lewellyn". She'll reply "He ain't here", and I'll say "...okay". Yes, I know that sounds stupid as shit but it cracks me up without fail.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
Diabolical countdown so far, heinous good stuff.

I've only seen the Tony Hopkins Hannibal flicks, interested to check out the TV show and 80s movie.

Also that Lexx villain sounds entertaining, I only ever saw the first mini-series or season, and a little bit of the later years stuff.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »
Nice writeup on Pazuzu.  Legion really was awesome.  I didn't know anyone knew that.

Anton Chegur is the personification of the abandonment of morality in a capitalist society. When the two boys witness him crashing a car one of them offers the shirt off his back to help him.  The boy is stunned and visibly sickened.  Chegur gives the boy money.  You can hear the boys abandon their concern almost immediately to squabble over who gets the money.  A person's entire existence is boiled down to the "flip of a coin" if you catch my meaning; money determines your fate.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 03:05:29 AM »

Dr. Evil

26 Points, 2 Lists, #12 RVR II

I like to see girls of that... caliber.  By "caliber," of course, I refer to both the size of their gun barrels and the high quality of their characters... Two meanings... caliber... it's a homonym... Forget it.

Wanted For Threatening the world for One Million Billion Dollars

Dr. Evil is the main villain in the Austin Powers film series.  An evil criminal mastermind, Dr. Evil has his own army of loyal criminals and assassins, secret underground layers, dangerous super-weapons and many plots to take over the world.  However, he’s also constantly being thwarted by libidinous super-spy Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery.  Dr. Evil, during an escape, has himself cryogenically frozen in 1967 in order to return in the future and spread his evil once more.  During this time, Austin also freezes himself until the day Evil returns.

Dr. Evil was raised by a bizarrely insane father who claimed that he invented the question mark.  Eventually he went to Evil Medical School where he received his PhD and then started his criminal empire.  Evil also has two “children”: Scott (who was believed to be a clone of Dr. Evil until it was revealed that he was simply his son) and Mini-Me, a short mute clone of Dr. Evil.  Evil’s right hand man Number Two runs Virtucom, a company so wealthy that they don’t need to commit elaborate crimes and could just continue gaining money and power simply by continuing to exist.  Meanwhile, his right hand woman is Frau Farbissina, the founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

Dr. Evil loves being, well, evil.  Specifically, he loves classic supervillainy, even when it is not practical.  He seems well aware of that fact but also seems to think that is the best way to play the game.  A loving tribute to classic James Bond villains, particularly Stavros Blofeld, Dr. Evil comes with all the fix-ins: a cat to stroke (Mr. Bigglesworth), death traps, a hollowed out volcano lair.  But he is also constantly awkward and weird and has to put up with the weird inconveniences of supervillainy.  The fun of Dr. Evil is that while he is… Evil, we actually spend of lot of time with him in his personal life and the humor with that juxtaposed with his cartoonish supervillainy.  In addition, we also see him butting heads with Number Two and Scott Evil on the subject of practicality as opposed to doing villainy the old fashioned way: as ridiculously as possible.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7edeOEuXdMU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7edeOEuXdMU</a>

Trivia
Mike Myers originally wanted Jim Carrey to play Dr. Evil, but Carrey eventually passed, due to scheduling conflicts with Liar, Liar. Myers then took the iconic role himself.  While I am extremely curious what that would have looked like, it’s likely for the best that it never happened.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »

Sephiroth

26 Points, 2 Lists, #11 Russoguru

Only death awaits you all. But do not fear. For it is through death that a new spirit energy is born. Soon, you will live again as a part of me.

Wanted For Becoming one with everything but not in that good zen/hot dog way.

Sephiroth is the main villain of the video game Final Fantasy VII.  A soldier for the militant group… uh, SOLDIER, Sephiroth was a powerful warrior and a celebrated veteran of war.  However, during one mission, he discovered the truth about his past… he was genetically engineered using the DNA of an ancient entity known as Jenova.  Upon learning that Jenova attempted to conquer the Earth years ago, Sephiroth decides to do the same, believing it to be his destiny and deciding to crash a meteor into the Earth, exposing the flow of life that would heal the Earth and becoming part of it.

Sephiroth is an angel-like creature with a black wing.  Even in his human form, Sephiroth is extremely powerful and becomes moreso later when he mutates into a being similar to Jenova.  He also has a part with the games main character Cloud Strife that I won’t get into since it is a twist and I actually don’t remember the specifics enough to get into it.  Regardless, there’s bad blood, man.  Sephiroth’s weapon of choice is an incredibly long nodachi sword known as Masamune (a reference to the legendary swordsmith of the same name).

Sephiroth is in many ways the fighting opposite of Cloud, as Cloud, while a skilled sword fighter, relies on the massive striking power of his heavy sword, Sephiroth is a precision based fighter, using speed and agility in his style.  Sephiroth also committed the sin of

Which definitely made for one of the most famously dramatic moments of the series.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3ws7BeK6DS0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3ws7BeK6DS0</a>

Trivia
The rivalry of Cloud and Sephiroth was inspired by the famous duel between swordsmen Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro, respectively.  Like Sasaki, Sephiroth’s style is centered around speed and precision.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
I can almost guarantee if this were a list of top video game villains, Sephiroth would probably be number 1.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 07:17:50 PM »
Like Sasaki, Sephiroth’s style is centered around speed and precision.

That never really occurred to me, but they also both use the nodachi (a type of long katana).