login

Author Topic: So how was it?  (Read 478 times)

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 292
So how was it?
« on: June 08, 2019, 12:46:42 AM »
I won't see this until it's a VOD.

How was it? Was there a short?

~sings Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There~

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 40
Re: So how was it?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »
I thought this was a better effort by the guys honestly, and I have been enjoying the LIVE's, but between the pacing of the newer brand of bad movie, and the riffs, they flowed together so there was always something ridiculous to riff on. Apparently Casper brings out the best in the guys. Theater was also packed. Normally if it's half full it's good around here. By the time I bought a ticket there were only two seats left that weren't in the front section next to the screen. Everyone seemed to have a good time as well. I thought this was a very strong effort. There was always something terrible going on the guys could comment about and no dead space where they had to stretch it out, like with the cave dwelling in Octoman.

Yes, there was a short. It was about lying. Except only the last minute of it actually dealt about lying. The rest was 3 kids hanging around.

I'd give it a 9/10 myself. The humor just flowed in time with what we were seeing.

Offline zmcvay

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
Couldn't make the first broadcast, am planning to go to the encore, but after seeing a trailer my 9 year old wants to go as well.  Usually don't have trouble watching Rifftrax with him, but just wanted to get a heads up if there's anything in the show that would be a problem for kids, or if the guys are working bluer than usual.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »
Couldn't make the first broadcast, am planning to go to the encore, but after seeing a trailer my 9 year old wants to go as well.  Usually don't have trouble watching Rifftrax with him, but just wanted to get a heads up if there's anything in the show that would be a problem for kids, or if the guys are working bluer than usual.

Nothing in the movie comes to mind. Evil bad guy's zit head it probably the grossest thing in it, (Casper Van Dien hitting on women notwithstanding). Nothing in the riffing that jumps out either, though I can't say for 100% certain since I don't remember every line.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:01:34 PM by dbsommer »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 07:57:18 PM »
Yeah, I don't recall any nudity. Violence? Someone's arm gets chopped off, but I can't recall if that happened on screen or not.  One or two people get impaled, but not graphically. Swearing? A bit. The full thing is on Amazon as part of Prime if you want to scan through it quickly to double check though.  (Future me- doubled checked on the arm. Happens off screen, but with a blood splatter. The severed arm is later seen, but I don't think that would raise any flags.)

Online stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 339
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »
Yeah, I don't recall any nudity. Violence? Someone's arm gets chopped off, but I can't recall if that happened on screen or not.  One or two people get impaled, but not graphically. Swearing? A bit. The full thing is on Amazon as part of Prime if you want to scan through it quickly to double check though.  (Future me- doubled checked on the arm. Happens off screen, but with a blood splatter. The severed arm is later seen, but I don't think that would raise any flags.)

Just gonna kinda reiterate, fast-forwarding through it on Amazon Prime is probably your best bet. No riffs that are hugely off-color as I remember. But, yeah, that zit-head guy was quite disturbing. Here's an image if you don't have Prime:
https://www.scifihistory.net/uploads/3/0/6/7/30676431/004_orig.jpg

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 151
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »
I couldn't get into Star Raiders the same way I got into Octaman. Maybe I was too tired to enjoy it. Maybe I didn't feel the riffing was up to snuff. Maybe I don't like the Star Wars/Star Trek ripoffs the same way other riffing fans do. Whatever. I just felt disappointed in this. I did laugh at it, but it felt more like an obligation than a natural response.

I'll give it another shot once the window expires and I can see it DRM-free at home (or on my iPhone).

Offline zmcvay

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 06:34:23 AM »
Thanks guys, he had a lot of fun, especially during the Lying Short.

My thoughts on it, fun show, but middle of the road.  The guys did a good job, but they didn't have much to work with.  The movie wasn't spectacularly bad in any way, just meh.  The special effects were the worst part, but they didn't seem incompetent so much as very low budget.  The acting wasn't anything special, but nothing memorably awful.  No interesting characters, just that weird costuming choice for the villain(s).  It was as close to a generic sci-fi movie as I can remember.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:06:10 AM by zmcvay »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 151
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
Thanks guys, he had a lot of fun, especially during the Lying Short.

My thoughts on it, fun show, but middle of the road.  The guys did a good job, but they didn't have much to work with.  The movie wasn't spectacularly bad in any way, just meh.  The special effects were the worst part, but they didn't seem incompetent so much as very low budget.  The acting wasn't anything special, but nothing memorably awful.  No interesting characters, just that weird costuming choice for the villain(s).  It was as close to a generic sci-fi movie as I can remember.

Good take on it. And you're right, Star Raiders was So Okay it's Average, rather than So Bad It's Good or So Bad It's Horrible.

Offline donmac

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 07:28:14 AM »
I saw "Star Raiders" at the live recording in Nashville and liked it better than "Octaman" which was the reverse of what I expected going in (I tend to like the shows with unintentionally bad movies more than the ones with intentionally bad movies).

Maybe I liked "Star Raiders" better because it was the first night or maybe because it had a better short as a lead-in, I don't know what it was, but I laughed more than I did the next night with "Octaman"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:29:56 AM by donmac »

Online stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 339
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
I feel the same way. Unintentional bad movies are typically so much better. I think Octaman was such a slog though. I'm surprised they got Bill to even come back at the end!  ;D

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4313
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
I think Star Raiders could still qualify as unintentional.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
I think Star Raiders could still qualify as unintentional.

Agree. They were trying to make a good movie on a limited budget, like Octaman. Not a self-aware bad one like Sharkando or Blood Theater. They even set up for a sequel because they hoped people would like it enough. And the entire cast looked like they were trying to be legit. They probably were trying to the best of their abilities, which is damning with faint praise. But it does move an actor up a notch for trying like Clint did in Ice Cream Man, and not Jan Michael in the same.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:16:03 PM by dbsommer »

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4313
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 12:10:05 PM »
Anyone else get Enemy Mine vibes from the blue alien?