Author Topic: What powerful things did you learn?  (Read 362 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
What powerful things did you learn?
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »
I learned that in a movie you need not really introduce your main characters or drive of your story until 20-minutes into it.   The best movies start with you thinking you're watching an anthology movie about a series of vignettes about a demonic idol.

You need not really know who these characters are or the relationship to one another.

You need not know the powers and boundaries of your paranormal antagonist.

The 80s were just full of hairy men with bad hair and unsettling shorts.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:45:34 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline PontifexPrimus

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 14
Re: What powerful things did you learn?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 02:06:24 AM »
I learned that you sometimes think "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if movies didn't just feature Hollywood prettypeople but instead normal, average-looking humans?", and that that thought is wrong.

I learned that something that has some kind power apparently does evil for... some reason. Seriously, I don't need a complex backstory, but more than "just because" would be nice. "The Dark Power" had more lore than this!

I learned that, for the nth time, a movie does not know how a garbage disposal works. They do not have whirring blades inside! They do not chop of fingers or arms! Stop that stupid, stupid trope!

I learned that you can allot around 90% of your movie's budget to - admittedly pretty decent - special effects, but then have nothing left over for the writing.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 02:54:20 AM »
Yeah, it constantly bugs me the way garbage disposals are portrayed on TV/movies. 

Offline TriffRax

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 02:25:29 PM »
I learned that, much like Twilight Zone twist endings, X Years Later endings should be illegal.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
I was having a Werewolf moment there, I was going "Okay, Movie, I'm going to have to call "time" on this one. I'm way ahead of you on this."

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »
I learned that in a movie you need not really introduce your main characters or drive of your story until 20-minutes into it.   The best movies start with you thinking your watching an anthology movie about a series of vignettes about a demonic idol.

My thoughts during the first 30 minutes: "So now we're onto movie 3? Make that 4? How does this doll keep getting around?"

Offline TriffRax

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
I learned that screenwriters can actually forget whether a character is another character's brother or their boyfriend and nobody else in the production team will notice.