login

Author Topic: E3 2019  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1475
Re: E3 2019
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »
Oh I get it. Trials of Mana is the Secret of Mana 2 that never came to the US, and is out now on the switch in Collection of Mana. And then they are also doing a 3D remaster version later. After watching the Collection of Mana trailer, I am much more interested in that than the 3D remaster.  Might pick it up now actually.

Really makes me want to play Secret of Evermore again. It was the first RPG I ever played. I think my dad bought it for more back when we’d just pick out games based on the box. I got very frustrated and had very little idea how to progress, because I didn’t understand the concept of experience and leveling, having only really played Mario and Star Fox at that point. Eventually I came back to it and got the hang of things. I hear it’s a fairly easy RPG, which is hard to wrap my head around when that first boss was sooooo hard for tiny me to beat.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
So while Trials of Mana is available today digitally, there is a link on the official Square website to preorder a physical version that comes out in August, if you're into that sort of thing.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kJvzzivkK28" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kJvzzivkK28</a>

A shit load of FF7:Remake info, but more importantly, full gameplay.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2019, 04:14:07 PM »
I’ve never played any of the Mana games, so I might take a look at that collection...
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
I’ve never played any of the Mana games, so I might take a look at that collection...

I remember them being fun. But this was in my rom emulator days. I should probably buy the collection just for karma’s sake. I probably will, but maybe I’ll wait to see some impressions on how good of a port it is.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »

I played Seiken Densetsu III (What would have been Secret of Mana 2) in Japanese. Despite being generally highly praised, I didn't particularly like it. But I am glad it's finally seeing a proper English release.

I'm much more excited by the remake of Romancing SaGa 3. Just so long as they don't nerf the difficulty. RS1 already got a very good remake in the form of Minstrel Song on the PS2. Now we just need RS2 and SaGa Frontier to be remade. I would buy either one in a heartbeat.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2019, 05:12:54 PM »
OK, read and watched a bit more on the train ride to work.

Animal Crossing looks perfect. I don't hate that it is delayed because I have plenty of catching up to do on games already, and lots of big titles still coming this year.

Cadence of Hyrule is out this week  (13th I think I read). I'm super into it!

Never played a Panzer Dragoon game. From what I just read (didn't have time to watch the trailer yet) it sounds fun.

I'm still not sold on Astral Chain. It looks like a less over the top Bayonetta? And the over the topness is really what makes Bayonetta so great. Maybe I'm just not getting the right idea from the trailers though. I hope there's a demo.

Never played a Dragon Quest. Always torn about picking up anything that looks like that large of a game :P

Don't care for Contra.

Already guaranteed to pick up Luigi's Mansion 3, so I didn't even bother reading/watching it.

Ditto with Fire Emblem.

Haven't watched the trailer yet but Empire of Sin has my attention.

Ran out of time!

Also
Julie and Jack is an excellent Rifftrax.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2019, 05:14:35 PM »

I played Seiken Densetsu III (What would have been Secret of Mana 2) in Japanese. Despite being generally highly praised, I didn't particularly like it. But I am glad it's finally seeing a proper English release.

I'm much more excited by the remake of Romancing SaGa 3. Just so long as they don't nerf the difficulty. RS1 already got a very good remake in the form of Minstrel Song on the PS2. Now we just need RS2 and SaGa Frontier to be remade. I would buy either one in a heartbeat.

That does sound/look cool, but if it doesn't come to Switch it's pretty much certain I won't play it unfortunately.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »

That does sound/look cool, but if it doesn't come to Switch it's pretty much certain I won't play it unfortunately.

Although I see the 2nd one is one Switch and on sale right now... Hmm
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »
There's a demo out for Cris Tales.  It's... meh.  The art is cool, but areas feel so small because of it.  They can't make big areas with that much hand drawn art.  To make them feel bigger I think they made the movement speed kind of slow, but that just feels annoying.  Plus, everyone feels kind of wooden.  They are drawn really well, but the characters are rarely animated beyond normal walking and breathing.  Plus it all feels very simple.  I think perhaps the target audience is much younger than I am.  It's not bad.  It's just all very cliche and simple and slow, which is something perhaps a younger person wouldn't care about.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »

But they didn’t mention anything about Crosscode, which is supposed to be coming to the switch in 2019.
Cross Code did show up in the Microsoft conference.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »

Also
But it is not a very good film. I've also seen it quite a bit lately, so that comes into play as well.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »

Also
But it is not a very good film. I've also seen it quite a bit lately, so that comes into play as well.

...I mean... Rifftraxes mostly lean towards not very good films...
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »

Also

...I mean... Rifftraxes mostly lean towards not very good films...
I will posit that there is a different level of "bad" between, say, "Day of the Animals" and a James Ngyuen film. It's like going to the hospital for a broken leg and going in for a heart bypass.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2019, 01:39:43 AM »
Roundup of day 1 news:

*Konami announces a Turbo-Grafx mini Console. No release date, price, or complete list of titles yet, although R-Type, Alien Crush and Ys have all been announced as included so far.

*Limited Run announced a physical reprint of a bunch of old Lucas Arts titles. Monkey Island, Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, Shadow of the Empire, Tie Fighter,  X-Wing and a lot more. One a month for quite a while.

*The mysterious "Simpsons are at E3" event ultimately was about nothing. EA tried to do a "Mario Party" style Simpsons game at one point, but it fell through. The conference was just the folks from The Simpsons talking about the various game projects over the years. Oh, and Tapped Out, which is still running,  is getting a Fortnite style update as an event.

*More news about Xbox Scarlett in November.

*The Pokemon Home thing will have rather severe limits on what can get transferred over to Sword/Shield. I don't know the exact details. Sorry.

*Microsoft has its eye on an unnamed Japanese studio. Still trying to crack that market.

*Square Enix has no idea how many games the FFVII remake will actually be. Oh, that's not a good sign.