login

Author Topic: Vote on List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains Return!  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
Vote on List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains Return!
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:57:14 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iqzDAQaDQzY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iqzDAQaDQzY</a>
Its time for the bad guys to shine.  I believe I read somewhere a hero is only as good as his villain and while I don't agree (I can think of many stories where one is great but the other is a dud), I understand why: when they do a good time complimenting each other, it is magic.  But sometimes a villain doesn't need a hero.  Sometimes he needs a journey.  Or an interesting character.  Heck, sometimes just interesting aesthetics can count for a lot.  How else do you explain the popularity of Boba Fett, the guy who stood around, then got thrown into a belching toothy anus (the fact that David Cronenberg almost directed the movie explains a lot) and is still one of the most popular Star Wars characters.  Dude still looks cool, friend.

But villains are great.  Sometimes, it is interesting to see how a character can take the wrong path.  Sometimes it is just the fun of seeing an outlandish character.  Regardless, I think the villains we are interested in and why says a lot about us.  Heck, even the etymology says something about us as a society.

The term villain first came into English from the Anglo-French and Old French vilain, which is further derived from the Late Latin word villanus, which referred to those bound to the soil of the Villa and worked on an equivalent of a plantation in Late Antiquity, in Italy or Gaul.

Vilain later shifted to villein, which referred to a person of a less than knightly status, implying a lack of chivalry and politeness. All actions that were unchivalrous or evil (such as treachery or rape) eventually fell under the identity of belonging to a villain in the modern sense of the word. Additionally, villein became used as a term of abuse and eventually took on its modern meaning.

This seems pretty classist, doesn't it.  Really a villain can come from any social standing.  They can represent our evils in society or a twisted worldview or something out of control.  They can be fun and silly or tragic and sad or simply just awful.  They con be complex or simple.  There's a variety of ways to present and enjoy (or enjoy to hate) them.

Now over a decade ago, we did a villain list but times and foreign members have changed.  So we are ready for a new villain list. Check out the original list if you want some ideas.

Evil Rules!
1. Submit a list of your top 25 favorite villain, with 1 being your very favorite and 25 being your least favorite among that subset of 25.  Submit this list to me via Rifftrax Forum private message.
2. Fictional villains only.  Sorry real life jerks.
3.  Characters from mythology and religion are allowable.
4.  No teams.  I'm going for individual characters only.  MAYBE a couple of duos, but only if they are inseparable, like Double Trouble from the Carmen Sandiego game show.
5.  When I say fiction, any form.  Literature, screen, stage, a painting (I knew Christina from Christina's World was up to something!)
6.  As for multiple portrayals of the same character... I'd prefer we do things in the macro sense.  This is to say, I'd prefer if you just said "Dracula" as opposed to "Univeral Pictures Dracula".  That said you can note that this is your preferred version of the character and I'll keep that in mind when doing the list.  Also, I'll make exceptions for villain interpretations that are extremely divergent from the regular take (and we'll discuss it on a case by case basis, if need be).
7.  Remember, a villain and antagonist are different things.  Sometimes a hero is the protagonist, but don't forget about protagonist villains, lead characters who are bad guys.

I'll be accepting lists until Sunday, June 9th.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GgnClrx8N2k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GgnClrx8N2k</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Vote on List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains Return!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
Now to decide whether I like legitimate-threat villains or evil-cackling-Saturday-morning-cartoon villains more. It's genuinely hard to decide.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
Looking at the list I submitted over 11 years ago. Who ARE you, 30-year-old self? Snidely Whiplash at #8? I don't even think he'll make my top 50...

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
I don't mean to brag but it appears as though my vote broke the tie between one choice and another, so hooray for me I guess. Anyways I got to working on a list last night and honestly, it wasn't that difficult. Villains are in no short supply.

I want to pre-emptively thank you Johnny for hosting another list yet again.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
Does Willy Wonka count as a villain? He lured a bunch of children into his factory with candy, then killed most of them.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »
Nope, he's just a dick (plus, in the original book, we see that all kids survived, they were just all horribly deformed.  You know, good guy).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
How do we feel about Wreck-It Ralph? A self-professed bad guy, but not a bad guy.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »
Yeah, he's not a villain.  I mean, that's like choosing Tor Johnson in the movie Ed Wood because his character played some villains.  In the world of Wreck-It Ralph, they are essentially actors, Sports Entertainment-style.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
Theoretically speaking, does David Naughton's character in American Werewolf count as a villain?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
I personally don't think so, but I think that's for your to decide.

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »
Submitted.  I considered movies, TV shows, cartoons, anime, science fiction, literature, anime, comic books and fairy tales.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:30:23 AM »
Very cool, this will be fun! Villains are some of the juicer roles for sure.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:15:39 AM »
what about someone like loki--MCU or mythological, they're both about the same level of mischief (i'm still waiting to see tom hiddleston turn into a horse to stop a guy from building a wall)?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 245
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 03:10:45 AM »
A few gray areas:

What about fictionalized versions of real people? Such as Judge Holden in Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" (and in this specific example, he really is a ramped up version of reality... for example, he doesn't sleep)

What about anti-heroes? Or those that have been both bad or good (or used for bad or good... like Mechagodzilla, though on second thought, wouldn't that make him more a tool? Like a knife isn't a villain? It depends on whose wielding it). Anyway, someone like Catwoman?

And lastly, would Nosferatu be his own thing, or would he be wrapped up with Dracula (who inspired him)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:34:51 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 05:27:20 AM »
A few gray areas:

What about fictionalized versions of real people? Such as Judge Holden in Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" (and in this specific example, he really is a ramped up version of reality... for example, he doesn't sleep)

This (though not this particular example) was discussed.  Fictionalized versions are fine.

What about anti-heroes? Or those that have been both bad or good (or used for bad or good... like Mechagodzilla, though on second thought, wouldn't that make him more a tool? Like a knife isn't a villain? It depends on whose wielding it). Anyway, someone like Catwoman?

Antiheroes I take on a case by case but here is my rule of thumb: are they an antihero as an evil/villainous protagonist or a hero who is unafraid to do bad things.  Obviously one can become the other.  Catwoman in the last few decades was rarely an outright villain as much as a hero who was also a criminal (in the words of Mike in Better Call Saul "There are good criminals and bad criminals") while in earlier appearances and in the Adam West show (and in some of the Brave and the Bold episodes), she was an outright villain.  So you can.  BUT think of what incarnation comes to mind when you are voting for them.

And lastly, would Nosferatu be his own thing, or would he be wrapped up with Dracula (who inspired him)

Yeah, Nosferatu pretty much took on a life of his own.