Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame - SPOILERS HERE  (Read 2484 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Re: Avengers: Endgame - SPOILERS HERE
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
So can Spider-man buy beer now?

That's just one of the many, MANY things that will need sorting out. Or I think of like the parents who return and find out their baby is in first grade and calling someone else "Mommy".

Granted, I'm from the midwest, so I'm USED TO being five years behind everyone else, but a lot of people aren't trained to handle this shit.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
The HBO miniseries The Leftovers is apparently about this very thing (based on a novel).

Premise: The series begins three years after the "Sudden Departure", a global event that resulted in 2% of the world's population disappearing, and follows the lives of those who were left behind.

Honestly, I'm really interested in watching this and pretending it's MCU canon. Well, unless they find out the cause isn't an omnipotent alien with magic crystals. And maybe if they don't stress the 2% number too much. Ok, I just want to see these ideas fleshed out like everyone else.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
The HBO miniseries The Leftovers is apparently about this very thing (based on a novel).

Premise: The series begins three years after the "Sudden Departure", a global event that resulted in 2% of the world's population disappearing, and follows the lives of those who were left behind.

Honestly, I'm really interested in watching this and pretending it's MCU canon. Well, unless they find out the cause isn't an omnipotent alien with magic crystals. And maybe if they don't stress the 2% number too much. Ok, I just want to see these ideas fleshed out like everyone else.

The Leftovers is one of the all time best TV shows.
FINE

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
I don't mean the lives of people left behind, I mean dealing with everyone suddenly being BACK. I find it hard to believe the world is just gonna just slip right back to normal by the time of Spider-Man: Far From Home.

That's gonna be as much of a logistical nightmare as the first snap was. To say nothing of the severe mental and emotional trauma of it all. The survivors aren't gonna just be able to shake off the last five years, and the returned dead are gonna have a lot of crazy shit to deal with-- they're not gonna be able to just slip right back into their old lives.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »
Yeah, half the world is at least probably unemployed.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
and the returned dead are gonna have a lot of crazy shit to deal with-- they're not gonna be able to just slip right back into their old lives.

nah, it's all cool, bro. let's go look at some european landmarks!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 01:22:37 AM »
It drives me NUTS, man.

These big superhero movies get made fun of for that all the time, and Civil War even tried to address it, and I remember thinking "BOO, Government DICKHEAD who's keeping the Avengers from avenging! You are the Skyler White of the MCU!!!!"

So I hope it's not as glossed over as all that. Even watching with the mentality of: "It's a comic book movie, they're just roided up wizards, essentially"

...in addition to a couple real wizards... I kinda forgot about them. DAMN there were a lot of characters in that movie. Okay, that's a tangent. Point is I'm pretty good at letting stuff like that go but I just can't get over how much they're understating that.

But I should have faith in them. I get that they didn't wanna dwell on that just then. They wanted a MOSTLY happy ending. And I get why they didn't want the Spider-man trailers to be a dour gloomfest. If the genre wasn't notorious for sweeping that stuff under the rug, I'd be less bothered by it, because this leaves a HELL of a cultural scar. How long before you think any of them could sleep easily again?

It'd be like if World War III broke out, and then five years later all the cities were magically rebuilt, and the radiation gone, and all the dead people were alive again. But the it all still happened, and everything you went through didn't go away.

It's one thing to be able to compartmentalize the things that could kill us, but this would be like an existential crisis kinda thing. It'll be fun to think about if nothing else. Definitely a new kind of apocalyptic fiction, I'll give it that.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2019, 03:57:51 AM »
These big superhero movies get made fun of for that all the time, and Civil War even tried to address it, and I remember thinking "BOO, Government DICKHEAD who's keeping the Avengers from avenging! You are the Skyler White of the MCU!!!!"

You thought General Ross was the only right and reasonable person in the movie?
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »
Speaking of Ross, he did attend Tony's funeral. I hope this is the writers way of saying he's changed his mind about some things. We don't even know if he vanished in the snap or not. I'm guessing he did, especially since the Avengers were back at their HQ in New York for a full five years.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
It still pisses me off that Ross suffered no consequences for his actions in The Incredible Hulk, he even got promoted.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »
Sounds right in line with real life military ranks. Failing straight up through the chain of command.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2019, 06:08:12 AM »
Sounds right in line with real life military ranks. Failing straight up through the chain of command.
This is true, but it's not exactly the kind of gritty realism I expected from my fun MCU movies. Especially since it's not even commented on! You'd think at least Banner would have a bit of a problem with that.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »
I always thought it was interesting that it was Ross who was approached at the end of The Incredible Hulk. I wonder if SHIELD struck a deal with him.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »
I always thought it was interesting that it was Ross who was approached at the end of The Incredible Hulk. I wonder if SHIELD struck a deal with him.
I thought there was something in one of the other shorts about SHIELD sending Stark to talk with Ross because they knew Stark would annoy him and keep Ross off their backs or something.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2019, 10:58:36 PM »

You thought General Ross was the only right and reasonable person in the movie?

In a way, yeah, or represented what would be a right and reasonable position in real life.

Just like Skyler.

I think a big reason Skyler was so disliked is because everyone WANTED to see Walter White continue his downward spiral into villainy, and there was no place for a realistically concerned and suspicious spouse.