login

Author Topic: Rifftrax-Live  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Torlygid Racihmopt

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • The Mysterious Message -- The minor inconvenience!
Re: Rifftrax-Live
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 08:34:32 PM »
Up your game boys.  Samurai cop, Space Mutiny, Sharknado Starship Troopers, Birdemic were good stuff.  Octaman, Krulll, Manos not so much.  I missed a bunch though like Dr Who, Mothra, and Time Chasers, and reunion.
I completely agree with your list aside from Sharknado. You can skip Mothra and Time Chasers, in my opinion. Dr. Who was pretty good but you probably missed it for good since there isn't even a just-the-jokes version of it. The Reunion show, though, was fantastic. It completely exceeded my expectations and all of the riffers had me laughing out loud. Do yourself a favor and watch it (as well as the Summer Shorts Beach Party if you missed it).
The Mysterious Message! Could the author be -- you?
No, it's Torlygid Racihmopt. You just showed us!

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
Up your game boys.  Samurai cop, Space Mutiny, Sharknado Starship Troopers, Birdemic were good stuff.  Octaman, Krulll, Manos not so much.  I missed a bunch though like Dr Who, Mothra, and Time Chasers, and reunion.
I completely agree with your list aside from Sharknado. You can skip Mothra and Time Chasers, in my opinion. Dr. Who was pretty good but you probably missed it for good since there isn't even a just-the-jokes version of it. The Reunion show, though, was fantastic. It completely exceeded my expectations and all of the riffers had me laughing out loud. Do yourself a favor and watch it (as well as the Summer Shorts Beach Party if you missed it).

On it, thx!

Offline stonedauwg

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 06:35:37 AM »
There were a handful of good laughs but honestly I wanted to leave several times. 
One of the more "meh" rifftraxes IMO.  Riffwise I would have put Krull above this one, and Krull wasn't the super-greatest to begin with.

100% agree. I'm a big RTLive fan but feel like the quality has been steadily going down the past few shows. Then this. This was rock bottom - It felt like they were mailing it in this time. And just one short and a shorter movie too? Not a good value for the high price they charge for a special event ticket

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
There were a handful of good laughs but honestly I wanted to leave several times. 
One of the more "meh" rifftraxes IMO.  Riffwise I would have put Krull above this one, and Krull wasn't the super-greatest to begin with.

100% agree. I'm a big RTLive fan but feel like the quality has been steadily going down the past few shows. Then this. This was rock bottom - It felt like they were mailing it in this time. And just one short and a shorter movie too? Not a good value for the high price they charge for a special event ticket

I disagree. I feel this episode is up there with the MST3K Manos in that they took a slow, dreadful movie and made it a lot better with hilarious riffs, the experience improved by the visible suffering of the riffers. For me, sometimes the film is so bad the riffing couldn’t save it (MST3K’s Starfighters or Rifftrax’s Retro Puppet Master). Sometimes the riffing is hilarious but the film lends itself to it (MST3K’s The Final Sacrifice, Rifftrax’s The Wizard and The Room), but experiences like Octaman take an otherwise dull film and improve it vastly through its riffing.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
Boy am I glad that you guys are preparing me for this. I'll be watching the encore showing on Wed. I agree that Krull was kinda meh. Manos took me yeeears to fully appreciate because the movie was so intolerable (I love it now). Preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:25:51 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
Boy am I glad that you guys are preparing me for this. I'll be watching the encore showing on Wed. I agree that Krull was kinda meh. Manos took me yeeears to fully appreciate because the movie was so intolerable (I love it now). Preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

Perhaps the film would be an acquired taste like how the MST3K episode Carnival Magic is to some people (like me).

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
Saw the encore show last night. Wow! What a stinker of a movie! "This is making the Manos guys start to feel better" (or however that was worded). Haha.

The movie certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Any time Octaman was onscreen, it was so hilariously inept. I was expecting more ineptitude start to finish (Birdemic, Manos, etc.). Certainly comes close.

The riffing was... pretty good, I guess. Second half was way better imo. I mean, that boat scene killed the movie. And the cave scene almost killed Bill! Speaking of which, poor guy flubbed a lot of lines. I like it though, because it's that tight rope walk that comes with live riffing.

There was a young kid in our audience who I was concerned for as far as getting the jokes. Then they dropped a Fibber McGee reference which really reminded me how they don't care how obscure they can go. Haha. Speaking of which, I was hoping for more laughs from Lisa Simpson's Florida costume joke. I heard one guy clapping in the audience. I just needed to know someone else got that. And I loved how the philosophy jokes really landed. "I made it out of the cave! Take that, Plato!" got the applause it deserved.

Whole show was 90mins long. That was perfect. Sooo glad it wasn't 2hrs. More shorts could've been funnier, but nobody could've made it through the movie's last 30mins if they did that. Kudos to whoever made that decision!

Overall, glad I went. Nothing like a room full of laughing RiffTrax fans.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
It's funny that what usually makes these kinds of movies bad is lack of monster action. Low budget movies often show the creatures little, and in parts, or in the shadows. Not this movie! The Octaman suit is shown near the beginning and throughout the movie. Often in full daylight (despite them promising Rick Baker they wouldn't). And yet despite that, this movie still draaaags.
And movies like this often only have one segment that really slow. Whether it's sandstorm, or rock climbing, or the like. But it's really the 1,2, 3 punch of of having three sections being aggressively slow, and the worst one being at the end, the cave crawling, that makes this movie far worst than a lot of it's contemporaries.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 07:10:47 AM »
It's funny that what usually makes these kinds of movies bad is lack of monster action. Low budget movies often show the creatures little, and in parts, or in the shadows. Not this movie! The Octaman suit is shown near the beginning and throughout the movie. Often in full daylight (despite them promising Rick Baker they wouldn't).

That's probably my favorite part. How you film your monster 100% key. Octaman is the most unimaginative way to do it. Wide and flat. Or medium and flat. Or close-up and flat. There was literally no dynamic to the camerwork.

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 04:37:56 PM »
Box Office Mojo sometimes posts RiffTrax Live totals, and they’ve updated for Octaman:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=rifftraxliveoctaman.htm

Here’s the other Rifftrax Lives they have listed:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=RiffTrax

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
Box Office Mojo sometimes posts RiffTrax Live totals, and they’ve updated for Octaman:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=rifftraxliveoctaman.htm

Here’s the other Rifftrax Lives they have listed:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=RiffTrax
Those numbers are smaller than I expected.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
I love BOM. Can't believe I never thought to look these up. Thanks for sharing!   

And, yeah, I expected those to have higher numbers. Then again, 3x a year, you're looking at $900-$1.2M, and suddenly it makes at least a little more sense.