login

Author Topic: Rifftrax-Live  (Read 1057 times)

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 56
Rifftrax-Live
« on: April 18, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
Well, just got back from the show. Man that was a garbage movie. Boggy Creek level bad. Perhaps marginally better than Manos... or not. Meandering. At one point the cast whose names are all forgotten run around in a circle in a cave which led no where, unless when they got back to the RV was supposed to be the payoff? Easily what might have been the most wrong science fact using fire in any film. I mean it was bad enough Bill checked out for a while.

So yes, there was a lot of fodder for them to use except for the dead space in several spots. I thought they did a good job with a classically bad monster movie. And it was digitally restored so wonderfully you could feel the cheek sweat on the actors. I enjoyed it more than Krull from a riffing standpoint.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Rifftrax-Live
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »
Wow, that movie was so boring!

Offline Torlygid Racihmopt

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • The Mysterious Message -- The minor inconvenience!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
I left before the end of the show. I got some decent laughs at the floppy costume but the entire experience was ruined by the jerk two rows ahead who texted through the entire movie. I expected better from RiffTrax fans but obviously we are just as shitty as the rest of the population. I didn't put $50 into the Kickstarter and another $15 into seeing the live show to not be able to watch the movie, so I cut my losses. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy the movie when I get the digital download, if I can forget about tonight's experience.

Sorry, it's not the fault of the RiffTrax crew but it was a very bad experience for me. I've had too many of these bad experiences at theaters and have almost gotten myself into fights by confronting texters, which definitely isn't worth it. Sadly, neither is going to a theater anymore. And that's coming from someone who has loved movies since I was a kid. My first job was at a movie theater. I managed a theater for several years. I have had incredible experiences seeing movies in packed theaters. It's no longer worth it, though. We have all ruined it. It was good while it lasted, but this is why we can't have nice things.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Mysterious Message! Could the author be -- you?
No, it's Torlygid Racihmopt. You just showed us!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:01:06 AM »
There were about 12 people in the theater overall, and there was no sound until one of the viewers bugged somebody and we FINALLY got sound, fortunately in time for the McGruff short. As for the movie itself, what a stinker. I actually cheered for Octaman to kill everyone. But, like Manos, the riffing was skilled enough so it made for a far more pleasant experience than without the riffing.

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »
Well, just got back from the show. Man that was a garbage movie. Boggy Creek level bad. Perhaps marginally better than Manos... or not. Meandering. At one point the cast whose names are all forgotten run around in a circle in a cave which led no where, unless when they got back to the RV was supposed to be the payoff? Easily what might have been the most wrong science fact using fire in any film. I mean it was bad enough Bill checked out for a while.

So yes, there was a lot of fodder for them to use except for the dead space in several spots. I thought they did a good job with a classically bad monster movie. And it was digitally restored so wonderfully you could feel the cheek sweat on the actors. I enjoyed it more than Krull from a riffing standpoint.

You said it.  Painful.  They digitally restored that piece of shit?  Appalling.

There were a handful of good laughs but honestly I wanted to leave several times. 

One of the more "meh" rifftraxes IMO.  Riffwise I would have put Krull above this one, and Krull wasn't the super-greatest to begin with.

Up your game boys.  Samurai cop, Space Mutiny, Sharknado Starship Troopers, Birdemic were good stuff.  Octaman, Krulll, Manos not so much.  I missed a bunch though like Dr Who, Mothra, and Time Chasers, and reunion.

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 06:36:55 AM »
There were about 12 people in the theater overall, and there was no sound until one of the viewers bugged somebody and we FINALLY got sound, fortunately in time for the McGruff short. As for the movie itself, what a stinker. I actually cheered for Octaman to kill everyone. But, like Manos, the riffing was skilled enough so it made for a far more pleasant experience than without the riffing.

Oh god why would you make me imagine watching that without the riffs!  Moannnn...

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 06:49:54 AM »
I left before the end of the show. I got some decent laughs at the floppy costume but the entire experience was ruined by the jerk two rows ahead who texted through the entire movie. I expected better from RiffTrax fans but obviously we are just as shitty as the rest of the population. I didn't put $50 into the Kickstarter and another $15 into seeing the live show to not be able to watch the movie, so I cut my losses. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy the movie when I get the digital download, if I can forget about tonight's experience.

Sorry, it's not the fault of the RiffTrax crew but it was a very bad experience for me. I've had too many of these bad experiences at theaters and have almost gotten myself into fights by confronting texters, which definitely isn't worth it. Sadly, neither is going to a theater anymore. And that's coming from someone who has loved movies since I was a kid. My first job was at a movie theater. I managed a theater for several years. I have had incredible experiences seeing movies in packed theaters. It's no longer worth it, though. We have all ruined it. It was good while it lasted, but this is why we can't have nice things.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have difficulty with other people in movie theaters too.  What bothers me are certain types of laughers.  I can't explain it.  If they are late laughers, or self-conscious laughers, or laugh-at-every-joke laughers, or laugh-when-there's-no-joke laughers it bothers me, and then you have Mr crinkly-wrapper or Mr perpetual-motion-face-stuffer-in-line-of-sight.  I get up and move a lot.  I find the front corners of the theater work fine for Rifftrax because what really matters is the audio. I wear one earplug towards the center of the theater. 

A texter I wouldn't tolerate though. I find it best to speak up right away and assume they'll be generally receptive before I start thinking about it too much.  If they aren't receptive then I'd blast them with my 45.  Just kidding.  I'd just bail to another part of the theater.

Offline fodder650

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »
I'm writing this after looking at IMDB and seeing what happened to the single actress in this and it was during filming. That's a bit depressing. Not to jump on the bandwagon but let's start with the negative and then I'll go with the positives. When you have "Rock climbing", "Sand storm", and "Deep hurting" as some of the cornerstones of our fandom from the original series then maybe there was something to mine from that pointless cave thing. Heck if I can think of where you could have gone with it but it could have lead to another Rifftrax meme.
Although let us give them bonus points for not cutting it. We've been asking the Rifftrax team not to make cuts and they didn't in this 71 minute movie. I haven't seen the original but I would doubt any fat was trimmed from this Rollergator level movie.  Oh and let's do another negative. Ninety minute run time when most of the lives have been two hours. At least to my memory. Could we have had a second short?
Fodder's just this guy, you know.

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
I'm writing this after looking at IMDB and seeing what happened to the single actress in this and it was during filming. That's a bit depressing. Not to jump on the bandwagon but let's start with the negative and then I'll go with the positives. When you have "Rock climbing", "Sand storm", and "Deep hurting" as some of the cornerstones of our fandom from the original series then maybe there was something to mine from that pointless cave thing. Heck if I can think of where you could have gone with it but it could have lead to another Rifftrax meme.
Although let us give them bonus points for not cutting it. We've been asking the Rifftrax team not to make cuts and they didn't in this 71 minute movie. I haven't seen the original but I would doubt any fat was trimmed from this Rollergator level movie.  Oh and let's do another negative. Ninety minute run time when most of the lives have been two hours. At least to my memory. Could we have had a second short?

I didn't know that.  I was kind of entranced by her.  Barbituates in Beverly Hills. That's sad but there are worse ways to go.

A nice picture for the meme would be Bill throwing his hands at the screen in disgust.

I'd add to the positives there were lots of great riffs for the bad monster suit.  I particularly liked Octaman's dialoguing about how depressed he was.  Overall this might make a really good video rifftrax than live show. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »
So does anyone know what the riff "Jeff Daniels as a bucket" (or something like that) was? Kevin calls it a deep cut. I have no idea what it's a reference to.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 56
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
The Legend of Octaman song is now available through the kickstarter. I have to admit I have been loving the songs they've been coming up with for the movies.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 11:39:31 PM »
Wow, what a grumpy thread.

Let me add to the grump by saying I won't see this until it's a VOD. The pre-order says Oct. 1st date. I was hoping sooner.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 12:27:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to be waiting for the VoD, too. I can get a sitter for Rifftrax, or I can get a sitter for Avengers: Endgame, and while I LOOOOVE Rifftrax...

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 01:34:27 AM »
So does anyone know what the riff "Jeff Daniels as a bucket" (or something like that) was? Kevin calls it a deep cut. I have no idea what it's a reference to.

No clue. Do you remember what it was in reference to? 

MAYBE Jeff Daniels is a callout to his messy hair on Dumb and Dumber and the bucket to a gravity bong?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 03:19:51 AM »

Oh god why would you make me imagine watching that without the riffs!  Moannnn...

Don’t worry; we only missed the Jonathan-Coulton-sung intro and part of the opening monologue. Anything important fortunately was not silent.