login

Author Topic: got GOT fever? (spoilers allowed after it airs!!!)  (Read 1626 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: got GOT fever? (spoilers allowed after it airs!!!)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
There's definitely be some big deaths next week. We should make a deadpool. I'll go with Sansa, Ser Jorah, and Tormund.

greyworm, theon, one of the remaining fire dragons, and sam.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5138
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
Greyworm is an obvious one.  Also, that one eyed dude.  Hound won't.  He's got to be alive long enough to face the Mountain.  Bronn might show up moments after the battle ends to try to kill Dany, then dies in some unfortunate manner.  I don't think Sam is because its probably going to end with him writing about this moment in history.  Davos, maybe?  I like him but I'm not sure what he contributes narratively anymore.

Tormund is going to go and after this episode, I'm going to miss him.  Also, it will be weird not really having a wildling representative after that.

Jamie won't.  It would make sense for him to die for a noble cause but it will be more interesting if he lives and we see if he actually has the heart/stones to go back to Cersei.

The show might fake Arya's death then she *bam* pulls faceless one out of nowhere to kill Cersei.

The first episode of the season was fine but even though we didn't get to any fighting this episode, this was much better. In the wake of the impending judgment day our characters face, (once Jamie is allowed to fight) the episode becomes much more intimate in a very good way. The scenes around the hearth are the heart (no word play intended or accomplished) are the best, from Tormund's very silly Miller's Tale toned origin story to Podrick singing to Brienne becoming a knight.

It occurs to me now that while much of the series seems to question, doubt and be skeptical of the myths and stories that people make for themselves as papering over a much nastier reality, here we see the beauty and value of song, stories, memories, titles (with the latter giving us a sweet yet mythical moment where tradition is upended because "fuck tradition"), in the face of an enemy that wants to erase it from existence. I'm less interested in the supernatural than what comes after but this episode did a fantastic job making me excited for that confrontation and seeing how it ties into the themes of the show.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
I hope one-eyed dude(I forgot his name too) doesn't bite the dust, I like that flaming sword.

After seeing what happened in the Red Wedding, not much would surprise me, just as long as the series ends with the death of Cersei and (hopefully) Euron Greyjoy.

I also have to add I do believe when Jaime said he has changed. Otherwise I doubt Bran would have had somebody wheel him to the tree all alone. Bran will definitely be a key figure in defeating the Night King.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:36:26 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
WOW, that was... one hell of a battle. While I think it went on maybe a little too long, the end result was satisfying... Arya Stark being the one to basically save the world. That was very satisfying. I was amazed there were relatively few major character deaths in this episode. Flaming sword guy of course died, as did Ser Jorah, Theon Greyjoy and that Girl who was the queen/princess of that one kingdom whose name I can't remember. I'm glad Theon died fighting, and fighting for the right thing.

If they can survive an assault from the Army of the dead they should easily be able to cut through the armies of Kings Landing and hand Cersei her head on a silver platter. I also did not expect the red woman to return. I figure what she did helped them out but it was mostly just delaying the inevitable.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 10:54:55 PM »
that episode:

how many dragons are left now? is it still two?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »
There was hardly any dialogue in that episode... well, not much for an 80 minute episode anyway. I'm really, really curious as to how they're going to sort things out next week. I mean, Arya literally saved Westeros when Jon Snow or Danarys couldn't. Jon and Dany may have a claim to the Iron Throne, but will humility make them see Arya is best suited to sit on the Iron Throne? I know it seems like I'm making a big deal about it but there's just no getting around it, Arya saved everybody's ass, and she deserves mad props for that.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
how many dragons are left now? is it still two?

I was wondering that too. I only remember seeing one left at the end, but I couldn't tell which one. I think Jon's might have gotten killed by the zombie dragon. And what the heck happened to Ghost? They show him at the beginning, but he's nowhere to be found by the end.

I learned that if you film your whole battle scene in the dark, it doesn't have to be at all clear what the hell's going on. Also, the White Walkers have a severe case of "kill the leader, all the others die" syndrome. That seemed like a little bit of a cop out. They should have at least had to kill the 8 of so others that were with him. 

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
I'll let everyone know what I thought of the episode when I see it.

I mean, I WATCHED it last night, but I couldn't see a damn thing. From what I was able to hear, I think it was a good episode.

I now officially want this "Shoot everything as dark as possible because it's 'real' and 'gritty'!" fad to die a quick, gruesome death.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
Others have noted this, but two Starks saved the world this weekend.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »
Now you're going to have to add the ghost of a dragon after tonight Gofly. Really, REALLY curious as to what's happening next week considering we've only got two episodes to wrap things up. I just don't want there to be anymore drama between Dany and Jon. I'd like them to either rule as King and Queen or for Daenarys to come to her senses and fight for Jon... some part of me thinks that isn't going to happen. Then again, at the end of tonight's episode Dany backed down even after Cersei had Missandei killed.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »
did starbucks open in winterfell? ???

dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
♫'Cause you had a bad day♫
♫You're taking one down♫
♫You sing a sad song just to turn it around♫

If I'd REALLY felt like being a dick, I would've linked to the Alvin and the Chipmunks version of that song.

Great episode. We haven't had a really good plotting episode in awhile, and this show does that SO WELL. I forgot how much I'd missed it.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »
How did Daenerys not see Euron's ships? They had to have had a clear line of sight. And once she did, why didn't she just fly behind them and torch them all? Presumably those ballistas can't fire backwards, since that would require firing through the sails and rigging.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »
How did Daenerys not see Euron's ships? They had to have had a clear line of sight. And once she did, why didn't she just fly behind them and torch them all? Presumably those ballistas can't fire backwards, since that would require firing through the sails and rigging.

Yeah I was waiting for that.... fly by and then torch from behind... instead.. run away?
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com