login

Author Topic: The Eragon-ous Zone (Thoughts)  (Read 13295 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
The Eragon-ous Zone (Thoughts)
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
I've been sitting on that pun all week! :^)

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
Re: The Eragon-ous Zone (Thoughts)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »
yay my movie suggestion came true!

Offline Qrusher14242

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:26:39 AM »
great so far, saw the first 45 mins. Loved the RJD reference heh

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:06:44 AM »
TROGDOR! 

Hehehe.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:02:51 AM »
I've been sitting on that pun all week! :^)
And now it's hatched and chosen you and you are now a Pun-Rider!

TROGDOR! 
Yeah, wasn't expecting a Homestarrunner reference.  Nice shot on that one.

I for one thought Mr Irons' performance was fairly subdued.  Well, okay, maybe not.  At all.  But he didn't chew nearly as much scenery in this whole movie as he did in his first scene of D&D alone.  (I'd still love it if that one were on the slate for a future 'Trax.  But not right now.  We have our RDA of dragons covered for a while.)

Offline Literate Dead

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:29:23 PM »
What the hell was this movie?! A mess of random scenes of people sitting around waiting for the new pages of the script to come in, followed by scenes of people riding horses, followed by random plot contrivances (so, learning magic means randomly making up words and claiming that they mean something?), and scenes which just confuse me (that last ending... um... quick shot of... something happening which is supposed to set up a sequel... but... I had to have a friend tell me what the hell happened  :angry: ). So, all in all, quite open for rifftasticness... WIth a half-naked sweaty girl making orgasmic faces for an added bonus!

Unfortunately, all in all this was a rather standard riff. Amusing, but really feels like it could have been better, really. Mike and Kevin rely a little too much on the entire 'oh, no, not a rip-off of Star Ward/Lord of the Rings/The Matrix at all...' gag. It kind of speaks for itself, so it feels less of a joke and more sort of beating the obvious over the head. However, just because it's a standard Riff, doesn't mean it isn't funny. My friends and I still had fun watching this whole mess (though I doubt I'd ever watch the film on its own), and the riffs kept it watchable (save for the horse-riding scenes... gah, how many scenes do we need of these two riding horses around?!). I wish they'd done more with the 'Urkel' gags, or the bizarre blatant sexual undertones of it all (one of the little group I got together spurted root beer out her nose during the point where Irons looks over the dragon in that strangely sexual manner), but like I said, still not a bad track. It just feels like a film which deserved more... It gets definite bonus points for the Strong Bad reference, though... Maybe like a 3.5/5

...Oh, and the 'special surprise' at the end was... interesting. Not entirely sure I wanna' spoil it but... I laughed my ass off throughout the sequence... but not something I'd go back to again  :o

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »
I honestly think that Quest of the Delta Knights was a better movie than this.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:37:35 PM »
What the hell was this movie?!

Mike and Kevin rely a little too much on the entire 'oh, no, not a rip-off of Star Ward/Lord of the Rings/The Matrix at all...' gag. It kind of speaks for itself, so it feels less of a joke and more sort of beating the obvious over the head.

Yup this movie was BAD...

As for that 2nd point about 'stating the obvious', those were some of the best riffs. I get that you found the riff to be overall likeable but some of you'all get way too critical about the riffs. Mike and Kevin are comedy at its best!

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »
Having seen the whole movie now, wow.  Eragon is one goofy-ass movie.  I do like how Rachel Weisz seemed to be going for a "Mia Farrow in The Last Unicorn" tone of voice, but other than that, this movie is terrible.  And it made for some fine riffing.

Oh, was there a reason for the lengthy prologue with Eragon and his cousin/brother who never showed up again?  He never showed up again, right? 

Dis, Dis, Dis...what was THAT?  It was like somebody's drunk uncle singing at a wedding.  Only if you sang that way at a wedding, I think people would start rooting for a divorce. 

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:12:53 AM »
Oh, was there a reason for the lengthy prologue with Eragon and his cousin/brother who never showed up again?  He never showed up again, right? 

He turns up again later in the series as a fellow dragon rider and as Eragon's wingman in the attack on the Doom Castle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
Very interesting spoiler there, Compound, but it may be giving away just a bit too much.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
Hilarious.  One of my favorite team riffs, although I also would have liked to hear them destroy the plagiarizing kid who "wrote" the "book" version as the movie spiraled ever downward.  I'm against the intrustion of DA during the movie, but his appearance at the end credits was priceless.  Excellent effort, gentlemen.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »
My favorite part was when he was when they reffered to the Dragon as a collection of 1's and 0's. It could not have been any closer to what I was thinking at the time without Mike being telepathic.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »
Brava Dis...Brava   :clap:

I thought the rifftrax was average/solid, but dis's karaoke in the end was brilliant and made my day  :D

Offline Just Some Guy

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »
Wow.  This film was awful on a scale that one rarely sees in major Hollywood productions.   The incompetent rip-off of a script (which admittedly the film owes to its source material), the acting that was just weak, the lack of continuity between shot to shot, the effects that look like they were done for a Playstation.    I could dedicate a multipage rant on so many aspects of the film.  Scholars should study this disaster as an example of exactly how to not make a movie. 

I thought the riffing was solid but not spectacular for the movie.