Poll

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand

A+ (yeah, we're just doing letter grades now. And this is the best one)
0 (0%)
A (great but not quite in the rarefied air of an A+)
3 (37.5%)
B  (no, there is no B+. I know people are gonna comment and say B+  or "I gave it an 8")
3 (37.5%)
C  (Average, solid, run-of-the-mill)
2 (25%)
D  (Corny, embarrassing "dad jokes", Nick Nolte impression)
0 (0%)
F  (exactly the same as a D except the riff made you physically ill)
0 (0%)
Incomplete  (I couldn't finish watching this, or just wanted to vote in poll without having seen movie.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Tall & tan & young & lovely, the Girl from Rio needs ranking  (Read 695 times)

Offline Anarchemist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 14
Tall & tan & young & lovely, the Girl from Rio needs ranking
« on: March 10, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dusty land
And when she shines she really shows you all she can
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande
Earlier today I severed my own head and attached it to the bell of this baritone saxophone.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 675
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Tall & tan & young & lovely, the Girl from Rio needs ranking
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »
Oh man, that was funny as hell.  ;D

Offline Anarchemist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »
Oh man, that was funny as hell.  ;D

This is def in the era I love. But I have never sat through the Million Eyes of Sumuru because all the ones on YouTube are.....well, green. The picture is really bad and green. At least the MST3K version is, but it might be worth it to have a double feature night.
Pre-season ktma mst3k is hard to re-adjust to after watching more recent things. Back then it was like watching a movie with your really cool and endearing friend Joel (who may have been a stoner) and his 2 friends who didn't say too much. Not that Joel was chatty either.
The whole vibe of that season was like hanging out on a Saturday afternoon with cool funny friends watching the silliest thing they could find on TV that day while everybody's parents were away doing some stupid grown up thing.

I really wish mst or Rifftrax would redo many of the ktma movies. They redid the Gamera ones and a few others, but it seems like there's a lot more gold to mine--and upgraded movie prints would be great.

Anybody got an opinion on MST3K's Million Eyes of Sumuru?  Will I be lost if I watch this one first?!?! ;) ;)
Earlier today I severed my own head and attached it to the bell of this baritone saxophone.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »
Anybody got an opinion on MST3K's Million Eyes of Sumuru?  Will I be lost if I watch this one first?!?! ;) ;)
Million Eyes was a late KTMA season episode and as such the pace of the riffing is about the same as Season 1 episodes. I watched Million Eyes and Girl from Rio back to back last night. Laughed during both, but the Rifftrax was definitively better.
If you're like me, you're going to be lost throughout both of them. Nothing that happens in the first movie is necessary to the plot of the second and while a lot happens in both movies very little of what happens advances any kind of plot at all. In fact, despite just watching them both, I'd be hard pressed to give a detailed plot outline of either.

Offline Anarchemist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
Million Eyes was a late KTMA season episode and as such the pace of the riffing is about the same as Season 1 episodes. I watched Million Eyes and Girl from Rio back to back last night. Laughed during both, but the Rifftrax was definitively better.
If you're like me, you're going to be lost throughout both of them. Nothing that happens in the first movie is necessary to the plot of the second and while a lot happens in both movies very little of what happens advances any kind of plot at all. In fact, despite just watching them both, I'd be hard pressed to give a detailed plot outline of either.

My intention for tonight is to do the same thing--double feature of both. I wish the Mst Sunuru print weren't so terrble.

Offline Anarchemist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
I ended up giving it a B.
I think I was expecting Superargo levels of funniness. It did not reach those heights, but a fun watch.

Offline F-Zero

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
Mediocre but I laughed out loud two times. When Bill said "you need to wipe better" and when Mike said "they're cosplaying Mrs Kitner from Jaws".

Offline F-Zero

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »
Another thought I don't much care for the "dirty" rifftax with nudity or cussing. I don't know why.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
I watched it a second time tonight. Thought that maybe on a second viewing I would understand the plot more than the first time. Nope. Just a bunch of scenes that were loosely connected at best. Did enjoy the riffing more the second time through though.

Offline F-Zero

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 01:03:51 AM »
I watched it a second time tonight. Thought that maybe on a second viewing I would understand the plot more than the first time. Nope. Just a bunch of scenes that were loosely connected at best. Did enjoy the riffing more the second time through though.

Now that is true, sometimes riffs are better the 2nd time. I might give it another looksee.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 11:03:10 AM »

It was straightforward, just they didn't have the 'meh' reveal until the middle. Basically rich girl gets kidnapped by Leader Chick. Daddy hires Boring Man to get her back. Boring Man pretends to have money so leader chick will capture him and take him to Rich Girl. Other bad guys want the money also. Stuff almost happens. Movie ends.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 02:51:20 AM »
I ended up giving it a B.
I think I was expecting Superargo levels of funniness. It did not reach those heights, but a fun watch.

Pretty much my opinion. So I give it a B+...I mean an 8...uh

It was fun to see vintage Franco riffed but there only so many jokes you can make about his trademark slow zooms and long distance establishment shots. Suffice to say this is one of is less weird movies. I think we need another SuperArgo riff btw or something from that genre.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
Is Superargo not available anymore? It shows up in my library, but not on the main page search.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4932
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »
If it disappeared, it's fairly recent, as I bought it a couple weeks ago.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »
My mistake. I had "Hide Purchased Riffs" turned on and didn't know it. It is still available.