login

Author Topic: Master Pancake Twitch Streams  (Read 91 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2397
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Master Pancake Twitch Streams
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:58:21 AM »
Not really fan-riffing, but this this is the closest board available.

If you haven't had a chance to catch a Master Pancake show before, you now do. They're a Texas based group that mainly perform at Alamo Drafthouse locations doing live shows. They've been around since the early 2000s at least when they were named "Mister Sinus Theater" before one Mr Mallon objected.

Since then they've worked with several MST cast members. I've seen them perform with Mary Jo, Trace and Frank.

Now that the pandemic has shut down their live shows, they've started playing recordings of past shows on a Twitch channel three times a week. You can search for Master Pancake Theater on Twitch and the shows are every Wednesday Friday and Saturday at 8:00 PM Central Time. Tonight is their Batman Forever show.

Tune in early and you get treated to a pre-show of random insanity and vaguely related videos (par for the course in going to an Alamo Drafthouse showing). You get a zoom-call introduction at 8, and in most cases they include either a video or at least audio of their mid-movie live skit right in the middle of the show.

They also recently put up their first real VOD offering, a riff of the bizarre movie Roar, which you can rent or buy from drafthouse.com.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:18:00 AM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 343
Re: Master Pancake Twitch Streams
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
ROAR = $13.99 to buy and even at that price it's streaming only...boooo!!!
Bought it. Making a copy to save. If you can stream, you can copy it. Just a pain in the ass step that shouldn't be necessary. 
Plan to watch this weekend.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »
A Twilight movie on Twitch tomorrow night. Hard not to riff one of those, so that will be my first exposure to them.
A Lord of the Rings movie Saturday. Still haven't watched a Rifftrax of one of those. Just a marathon of a riff for those.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2397
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:48:42 AM »
I've been watching in the vain hope that one of the shows they recorded was one I went to. I mostly went to see them in Houston though, and I think they usually record shows at the Ritz Theater in Austin.

I've already seen versions of the shows I've been the audience participant in the sketch for, and neither one was mine. (I once got the chance to play Sarah in their Labyrinth sketch, which mostly involved three men dressed in makeshift Bowie costumes being creepy toward me then serenading me with a parody of Life on Mars, and other time I got pulled onstage to play Data in their Goonies sketch, which consisted of me lying in a box playing dead onstage until the dramatic moment I would punch upwards with a boxing glove.)

I really hope they show the Exorcist soon, they make a habit of editing the movies, both for length and to add in visual and musical gags, and Exorcist has my favorite musical gag they've ever done.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »
Gave watching a try, but after a half hour of their twitch channel buffering every 30 seconds I gave up. Never had that problem with any other Twitch channel. Tried other live channels- no buffering once they start.