login

Author Topic: What Steven King book would you suggest for someone who's never read Steven King  (Read 189 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 625
  • 5000 deaths and counting
What the subject title says. I've never read a Steven King book, but I've seen loads of the movies and/or TV shows based on his work. I don't have anything better to do, so I thought I should check out one of his books. I have no problem with violence or profanity. I just want something that isn't a thousand pages long.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 239
I haven't read any in a long time, but my suggestion for a good start would be a book of his short stories.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6729
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
the gunsl...

I just want something that isn't a thousand pages long.

oh, nevermind.

eyes of the dragon, then.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 741
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
The Shining.

Then follow it up with the UNCUT Stand.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline F-Zero

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 17
I haven't read any in a long time, but my suggestion for a good start would be a book of his short stories.

Agree. Skeleton Crew (1985) would be my pick (it has The Mist). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_short_fiction_bibliography

-OR-

The Bachman books that include The Long Walk and Running Man.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2489
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I read lots of King as a kid, last one I read was Thinner.

Maybe start with the Night Shift collection, lots of great stories in that one.

For something less than 400 pages I thought Cujo was good, made a terrible movie but since King narrates for the dog it changes the tone a lot, you feel worse for the dog than some of the people.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 625
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Thanks for the advice guys  :)  I'll go to the library and see if they have any of King's short story collections.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4817
  • Mr. Robot
If you want a full novel, Dead Zone is also really good.  It's not too long and its a really good supernatural thriller.  But short stories is probably a good entry point.

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 208
Haven't read him in a while (though I did get back to him for Dr. Sleep). So of course I gravitate towards the early stuff. Salem's' Lot, The Shinning, The Stand (though that's a big ol novel), The Dead Zone, Firestarter... all of these I remember enjoying.