Author Topic: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!?!?!  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!?!?!
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 12:13:48 AM »
I don't know much about astrophysics, but I'm fairly confident in this:

Gattling Guns don't work in space.

Thank you. :^)

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 07:53:16 AM »
Okay, a brief note:

FedEx? THERE'S GRAVITY ON THE MOON! You got it? YOU AREN'T WEIGHTLESS UP THERE!

Frigging morons.

Which reminds me, I (unfortunately) caught the tail end of Armageddon. I'd forgotten how unwatchable that movie is. Well, it's watchable, but not for its physics. I couldn't tell - was there gravity on the asteroid or not? They could stay planted firmly on the ground, but they could somehow jump an extremely heavy roving vehicle over a mile-wide canyon?

Man, what a piece of crap. Armageddon gets my riff vote.

I would love for a Armageddon riff....man what a craptacular movie. As for the 'gravity' on the asteroid...I may be wrong but I think in the movie there suits and the "SUV" they drive uses some kind of magnetic lock with the metal in the asteroid...

The asteroid is rotating, so it has a little gravity of its own. But work smart and use your thrusters.
Hey, even (the supposedly more scientifically correct) Deep Impact's comet had some gravity...
I love this terrible movie.

Please riff it!
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2007, 08:17:32 AM »
The asteroid is rotating, so it has a little gravity of its own. But work smart and use your thrusters.
Hey, even (the supposedly more scientifically correct) Deep Impact's comet had some gravity...
I love this terrible movie.

Please riff it!

Ah, a chance for my scientific pedantry to shine.  Let's see if I can be brief.

Rotation does not create gravity.  Mass creates gravity:  the asteroid has gravity because it's as big as Texas. (It wouldn't have much gravity, but a hiccup wouldn't hurl you into space.)  And before you talk about the space station's "gravity," that's a simulation of gravity produced by centrifugal force. (You have to be inside the rotating cylinder:  outside, you would be hurled into space.)  Of course, in a space that small, rotation fast enough to simulate Earth-like gravity would also produce heavy Coriolis forces pulling you laterally, and you'd end up so racked with motion-sickness that you'd be puking up minor organs in about eight seconds ... just like many viewers of the movie.

Important point:  I have not seen "Armageddon," and any knowledge I have of it comes from reviews and such.  There is only one circumstance under which I would willingly view this film.  I think you can guess what it is.  ;)

Scrivener
Writing marginally salable stuff since 1996.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 08:29:14 AM »
I'll also give everyone here a pat on the back. This is the only forum where a discussion of football can lead to astrophysics. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »

my physics knowledge blows, so someone want to explain why here :)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »

my physics knowledge blows, so someone want to explain why here :)
Well I figured the lack of gravity would make the bullet useless, and the lack of oxygen would prevent firing, but this made me just curious enough to look into it, and it turns out I could well be wrong (If we believe the faceless masses who answer the Yahoo Answers.)
Here's what I found:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060703014550AAroIjK

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2007, 12:24:53 PM »

Important point:  I have not seen "Armageddon," and any knowledge I have of it comes from reviews and such.  There is only one circumstance under which I would willingly view this film.  I think you can guess what it is.  ;)

Drunk and / or cheap date?

Just kidding but thanks for the physics lesson. I knew there was something off when, as I described, "gravity" acted very differently on different bodies that were on the outside of the comet. Never mind the fact that they'd get launched, but the whole "crap falling down" one second and then "crap flying horizontally as if there's not gravity whatsoever" aspect of different parts of those scenes.

... would also produce heavy Coriolis forces pulling you laterally, and you'd end up so racked with motion-sickness that you'd be puking up minor organs in about eight seconds ... just like many viewers of the movie.

And kinda like the rides in that shady, beer tent-laden county fair that rolls into town every year!