login

Author Topic: List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70s Countdown!  (Read 12616 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5139
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70s Countdown!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 06:40:03 AM »

27 Points, 3 Lists, #5 RVR II

Spock, this child is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do? Spank it?

Year 1979

What's it about?

In the year 2271, a new threat has been detected: a giant cloud heading towards the Earth.  Anything in it's path is destroyed and it seems like nothing can stop it.  Admiral Kirk and Spock re-board the starship the USS Enterprise in order to confront it and figure out what it is, what it wants and how to stop it.  However, in addition to this new threat, Kirk must also deal with a new generation of crew members and tensions between him and the Enterprise's new Captain.  And when the Enterprise finally confronts the entity, they discover that it has connections with Earth history.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLlV_JVtO5c" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLlV_JVtO5c</a>

What's it REALLY about?
Well, it's largely about bringing the old cast back together and carrying on the shows traditions of showing a hopeful, utopian future where even deadly problems can be solved peacefully.

Legacy
Well, the film was not critically looked upon that well, but it did do good in the box office.  This kept the franchise going for 6 more films with the original cast and a new TV series, which spawned several more.  The film may be a bit plodding in an attempt to create a 2001 spectacle but it also got its foot in the door and made sure Star Trek was here to stay.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IXbAsv57HsQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IXbAsv57HsQ</a>

Trivia
Orson Welles narrated trailers for the film. It was believed to be because director Robert Wise was the editor on Welles' masterpiece "Citizen Kane," and this was Welles' way of returning the favor.

Johnny's Thoughts
There are complaints about the pacing of this one that I get.  It was intended to look very breath-taking but on that front it hasn't aged well.  But despite its reputation, I found it wasn't really all that bad.  Heck, I think I like it better than most of the TNG movies.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
I didn't know about the Orson Welles trailer thing, that's great. What a voice on that guy.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »

28 Points, 2 Lists, #10 Edward J Grug III

When the puffballs come, cold winter's almost gone.

Year 1973

What's it about?

1930.  Spring.  Italy.  A time that will be quite eventful in the town.  Young Titta struggles with his burgeoning sexuality and his fascination with a large, busty tobacconist.  Aurelio, his father, deals with an encounter with the prostitute Volpina at his worksite and an interrogation regarding his anti-fascist leanings.  Titta's family has an outing with his institutionalized Uncle Teo.  The town becomes interested in a marine event and an annual car race.  Spring becomes Summer.  Summer becomes fall. Fall becomes winter.  And by the cusp of the next spring, many memories are made.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BtG9ZM-ZHnY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BtG9ZM-ZHnY</a>

What's it REALLY about?
From Wikipedia...
Titta's sentimental education is emblematic of Italy's "lapse of conscience."Fellini skewers Mussolini's ludicrous posturings and those of a Catholic Church that "imprisoned Italians in a perpetual adolescence" by mocking himself and his fellow villagers in comic scenes that underline their incapacity to adopt genuine moral responsibility or outgrow foolish sexual fantasies.

Legacy
Near universal acclaim.  Though I don't know if this cemented Fellini as one of the all time greats, but it is considered among the best of a VERY strong career.

To quote Roger Ebert.

"It's also absolutely breathtaking filmmaking. Fellini has ranked for a long time among the five or six greatest directors in the world, and of them all, he's the natural. Ingmar Bergman achieves his greatness through thought and soul-searching, Alfred Hitchcock built his films with meticulous craftsmanship, and Luis Buñuel used his fetishes and fantasies to construct barbed jokes about humanity. But Fellini... well, moviemaking for him seems almost effortless, like breathing, and he can orchestrate the most complicated scenes with purity and ease. He's the Willie Mays of movies."

Fellini is a director who has been a big inspiration to many of the other big directors such as Terry Gilliam, David Lynch and Tim Burton and while many of his films deal with dream-like imagery, this one also has a haze of nostalgia around this film, inspired by the director's own youth, while accepting the evil role that fascism played in his life.

Giuseppe Rotunno's cinematography is nothing to sneeze at either.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9103wcNbLCY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9103wcNbLCY</a>

Trivia
The title is the phonetic translation of the words "Mi ricordo" (I remember) as spelled in the dialect of Rimini, the town in which the director Federico Fellini was born, and where the film is set. The correct spelling should be "A m'arcord".

Johnny's Thoughts
I sadly have yet to see a Fellini movie.  I'll get around to it someday, I promise.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »
Yay Amarcord! Yay Edward!

I'm not sure I'll do so well on this LoC, but hey Fellini made the grade and that fills me with gladness. It's his last true masterpiece -he starts to repeat himself a lot after this, really hits the nostalgia button hard- though there are real good movies left in him (And the Ship Sails On, Ginger and Fred)

Fellini's one of my all-time favorite directors. So it's great to see him represented in the 50(1)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2646
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »
Even though I am a huge Star Trek fan, I didn't have The Motion Picture on my list, just too many movies that were better in the decade.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »

28 Points, 2 Lists, #7 F Zero

We came here to kill each other. Any ground is suitable for that.

Year 1977

What's it about?

Armand d'Hubert and Gabriel Feraud are are lieutenants in the French army.  Feraud is an obsessive duelist and when one of his duels nearly results in the death of the town's mayor, d'Hubert is ordered to put Feraud under house arrest.  Feraud eventually goads d'Hubert into a duel but the result is inconclusive.  D'Hubert is taken off duty.  But as time moves on, the two encounter each other again and again, and once again a new duel emerges.  There are certain conditions that need to be met for a duel: the participants must be in the same place.  The participants must be of the same rank.  The participants cannot fight during war time.  And there must be a reason to fight.  The two keep encountering each other in the same place and find themselves in the same rank over and over.  As for a reason... if they don't have one, they'll find one.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ChuhXe0G5lY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ChuhXe0G5lY</a>

What's it REALLY about?
Inspired by the Joseph Conrad story "The Duel" which was in turn inspired (loosely) by a true story from a newspaper, the film seems to be about obsession, barbarism disguised as decorum and a war that occurs only for it's own sake.  I don't know this movie well, so I don't know if there is anything more specific going on.

Legacy
This was a film that was often compared to the similarly celebrated Barry Lyndon, both about duelists.  It is also the first full length Ridley Scott film!  Get in on it!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l2KWTEhyVX8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l2KWTEhyVX8</a>

Trivia
During the scene where D'Hubert (Keith Carradine) asks Adèle (Cristina Raines) to marry him, she starts to laugh. This laughter was not intentional. According to Director Ridley Scott, she actually had a hard time keeping a straight face since one of the horses had a huge erection.

Johnny's Thoughts
I have yet to see it but it sounds completely like my kind of film.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  (I really need to see Barry Lyndon, too).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing if a certain other movie with Albert Finney makes the list.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »

Johnny's Thoughts
There are complaints about the pacing of this one that I get.  It was intended to look very breath-taking but on that front it hasn't aged well.  But despite its reputation, I found it wasn't really all that bad.  Heck, I think I like it better than most of the TNG movies.
It's my favorite Trek movie. It's the most TOS-like of them all, which I appreciate. Others may be more entertaining, but I enjoy sci-fi more than action.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 04:08:35 PM »
I must say I too enjoy Star Trek TMP to a point. It's not bad... in its own way. But for my money TWOK better captured the spirit and energy of TOS.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »
There was supposed to be a Paramount Television Network back in the 70s, but it was aborted at the last minute. The network was to revive TOS ( the second revival since the Saturday morning cartoon ) and the script written for the pilot episode ended up being used for the movie. Basically, Star Wars was the most successful film of all time, so Paramount wanted their own Star Wars, then realized they had a franchise, a script and a cast already under contract. So basically, the movie script was originally something written for television for whatever miniscule budget the Paramount Network would be willing to give the new Star Trek series, then padded out for a theatrical film. That's why most of the film is the crew on the bridge looking at the viewscreen. The padding came mostly from long drawn out special effects shots. Like when Kirk is inspecting the Enterprise, and it is nearly ten minutes of the shuttle craft doing a loop around it. Cut all the padding out and you get a very decent Star Trek episode. As a movie, it drags a lot. In fact, I would consider the special effects shots in Star Trek: The Motion Picture to be "deep hurting" along with rock climbing and sandstorms.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:02:25 PM by stethacantus »

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
Love The Duellists, great flick, very memorable. Amarcord looks cool too.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing if a certain other movie with Albert Finney makes the list.

Ah! Now you have accidentally said something valuable.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 05:46:51 PM »

Johnny's Thoughts
It's my favorite Trek movie. It's the most TOS-like of them all, which I appreciate. Others may be more entertaining, but I enjoy sci-fi more than action.

Same! Great scifi. Spock's line just gets me right here.  "Each of us, at some time in our lives, turns to someone — a father, a brother, a God — and asks, "Why am I here? What was I meant to be?""

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 12:49:00 AM »
Johnny's Thoughts
I sadly have yet to see a Fellini movie.  I'll get around to it someday, I promise.

Pretty hard to beat Amarcord for a first Fellini. It's funny and warm and easy to watch. It was my gateway.
FINE