Author Topic: List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70s Countdown!  (Read 12623 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70s Countdown!
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »

Welcome to the Malaise!  The Malaise is my specially designed repertory theatre that shows only movies made in the 70s!  And this wouldn't be possible without your crowd funding of lists and it's only right to give you your backer reward: a film festival of the 70s' best, as chosen by you, the people! The seating is vintage, so you might want to take a long shower afterwards and there are no cup holder, so I hope you are good at balancing sodie pops on your lap.  The concession stand is pack with classic favourites from the era, meticulous unwrapped and rewrapped in classic packaging.  And the only pop we have is Pepsi Light, somehow.  The bathrooms are also filthy but that isn't era-specific, really, just unhygienic.  We'll get on that eventually.

You sent in your lists and the final list, I promise you, will be as off-beat and unique as the decade itself.  So let's begin with the first of our 50..., sorry 51 great movies!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nsRIVD8zwQU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nsRIVD8zwQU</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70s Countdown!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »

25 Points, 2 Lists, #4 RVR II

I'm scared, Fifi. You know why? It's that rat circus out there, I'm beginning to enjoy it.

Year 1979

What's it about?

Max Rockatansky lives in the future, in an Australia on the verge of societal collapse.  He's a cop and he's good at his job, despite that the bleak future makes him think that it will be an obsolete job soon.  And the work is getting to him.  After a chase results in the death of the deadly biker Nightrider, Nightrider's old gang, lead by the ruthless Toecutter come looking to cause some trouble.  After an arrest of one of Toecutter's men ends with the young man being let free when no one wants to step up and speak out against him, Max decides to quit, fearing the work is eroding his sanity.  His boss convinces Max to take some time off to think about it and Max heads out on a vacation with his family.  Little does he know that his outing will lead into a run in with Toecutter, leading to an encounter that not everyone will survive and will leave Max changed forever.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/caHnaRq8Qlg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/caHnaRq8Qlg</a>
What's it REALLY about?
I don't know what was going on in Australia specifically at the time, but with an oil crisis and the cold war, there probably remained a fear that we were heading towards a darker future all over.  It also clearly has some "the abyss stares back" stuff going on with Max's increasing stress as the film goes on.

Legacy
Though the sequel, The Road Warrior, would cement the genre, Mad Max was the first big post-apocalyptic action movie.  It would also start the career of big star who we later found to be awful Mel Gibson.  The film garnered quite a few negative reviews upon release but time has been kind to it, really.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JfJVmzthD3Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JfJVmzthD3Q</a>
Trivia
The "get-out-of-jail-free card" that Goose gives the triker was an on-set joke. Because of the limited budget, the biker gang was an actual biker gang (the Vigilantes), and they had to ride to the set each day in-costume; often with their prop weapons displayed. Since the production company expected them to be pulled over by the local police, each was given a letter explaining the film's peculiar requirements, and asking for law-enforcement's understanding and cooperation.

Johnny's Thoughts
It's a much more humble film than it's sequels.  Heck, there's still a society in this movie.  But George Miller still manages to make an intense movie and still the greatest of the 70's Ozsploitation movies.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »
Wow This barely made the list at #50 ??? Oh my :o

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
Yep, there are a lot of big movies that didn't make it.  I won't give too much away but there are some AFI top 100 that did not.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:46:38 AM »
Max was in my top 40, but didn't make final cut. It's a good one to start the list off.... though the re-dubbed version with American accents that we got in the States was terrible. Glad we finally got the Aussie version.... despite reading about a poor mix (score was too loud), it was an improvement to my ears.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:58:48 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »

27 Points, 2 Lists, #9 CJones

Rabbits will always need tricks!

Year 1978

What's it about?

Fiver is a rabbit.  And he knows something horrible is coming.  Convinced of an impending catastrophe, he convinces other rabbits to leave the warren and journey outward for a safe place to live and start a new warren.  But the world is a dangerous place for rabbits and not long after leaving, their only female is killed.  They seemingly find safety with another warren only to discover themselves in even deeper danger.  Fiver isn't strong but he is clever and fast and he's going to need all of his wits to survive predators and a very dangerous warren of rabbits.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9S26LA8Bk14" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9S26LA8Bk14</a>

What's it REALLY about?
It deals with the classic ideas of tyranny and freedom and the rights of the individual against collective needs.  It also feels very much in the vein of classic mythology with the original work inspired by Joseph Campbell and the Aeneid.  Creator Richard Adams was inspired by the later to write a story where Cassandra, the oracle who was cursed to not be believed, was believed and could use her powers to help others.

Legacy
Despite being a cartoon aimed more at adults than children, Watership Down was actually a box office success in the U.K.   Hell, the investors (who must have suspected the film was a risk) received a 5,000% return!  The film is still loved today and is considered among the most beloved British films.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WzirfrSn_KQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WzirfrSn_KQ</a>

Trivia
The British Board of Film Classification is still receiving complaints about this movie four decades after its release, due to the board's decision to classify it U (suitable for all). The BBFC admitted in 2012 that it had "received complaints about the suitability of Watership Down at U almost every year since its classification".

Johnny's Thoughts
This was one I saw when I was too young (to my memory, I walked in someone watching it when I was on a trip to Britain around age 6 or 7) and have been meaning forever to watch the movie and/or read the book.  I remember both my mother and father reading it and reading it for myself is something I've never gotten around to.  Someday.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 12:51:01 PM »
Only two for today.  Three every day after.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 02:39:26 PM »
Mad Max and Watership down didn't make my list, but that's only because I've never seen either one.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
This sounds like the place to be! I dig Mad Max, and hope to see more animated films on here too.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 03:14:09 PM »
I even have a Pursuit Special shirt  ;D

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »
Wow, the first two entries were both on my list (I had Mad Max at #23).

I honestly wasn't expecting Watership Down to make it. It's one of my favorite movies AND favorite books.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »
Did you notice how on the poster for Mad Max it said music by Brian May? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the same Brian May from Queen.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 04:47:07 AM »
Did you notice how on the poster for Mad Max it said music by Brian May? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the same Brian May from Queen.

Another one bites the dust!

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 04:55:13 AM »
Watership Down was one of those experiences that really shook me and made me feel my mortality. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 05:45:51 AM »

Nope, this guy was Australian composer.  He also did The Road Warrior and a band conductor for something called the Melbourne Show.