Author Topic: Good Thing, Bad Thing  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Bartender

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Awwww....
Good Thing, Bad Thing
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »
Yay, I've been wanting to make these.

Good Thing: Jeremy Irons
Bad Thing: Jeremy Irons

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
Re: Good Thing, Bad Thing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 12:39:45 AM »
Good Thing:  Good book made into a movie.
Bad Thing:  Good book made into a movie.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
Good Thing: Mid- Air dragon battles.
Bad Thing: The Fact that the scene with the Dragon Battles lasted about 30 seconds.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:09:40 AM »
Good Thing: the CGI was pretty decent
Bad Thing: the plot was NOT

Offline DoctorZ

• Schnappi Supporter
  • It may stop, but it never ends.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »
Good Thing - You could fall asleep during the movie and wake up 20 minutes later and still not have a clue what was happening.
Bad Thing - The land of Fabulous Warriors.
" A woman who takes her husband about with her everywhere is like a cat that goes on playing with a mouse long after she's killed it." SAKI

Offline Ranika

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 01:54:01 AM »
Good thing - This movie touched me deep inside
Bad thing - It was a bad touch

Bam, bad joke, but, really, seriously, though also in a bad joke way;

Good thing - Good for games of 'identify the reference to another film or book'
Bad thing - That game sucks real quick, especially when it's coupled with the most annoying voices ever
"If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend." - St. Augustine

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:14:31 PM »
Good thing:  The CGI dragon
Bad thing: Everything else.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 11:26:30 PM »
Good thing: there was a dragon

Bad thing: the dragon had FEATHERS. Did that bug anybody else? How it's supposed to be all scaly and serpentine and stuff and some moron stuck FEATHERS on it?! >_O

Good thing: the dragon was aptly voiced by rachel welch (I think that's her name)

Bad thing: I was waaaay to inrrigued by the notion of hearing said voice actress express interest in munching crunchy human bodies

Good thing: the story had a sort of nod to the whole dragons -eat-flesh thing, a humorous and viscerally satsifying scene where saphira starts to take a bite out of some dead henchman but then remembers her present company.

Bad thing: This scene, something as rare and precious as a chunk of garnet in a mercury-tainted river bed,  was cut from the film.

Good thing: the varden are FAAAABULOUS!

Bad thing: see good thing
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:56 PM »
According to wikipedia, the scale-feathers were dubbed "sceathers" by the production team. I think they were lame too, but only in the sense that the dragons I'm exposed to on a semiregular basis are meant to be evil and badass, and a powder blue sceathers do not a badass dragon make.

I don't know what to say about the Varden. You'd think the desperate remnants of a defeated rebellion would spend less time and resources making their armor all glittery and, well, fabulous. Although... one thing I will say about the movie is that for brief, refreshing moments it uses historically plausible armor in the costumes. The soldiers that antagonize Brom in the beginning are a good example of this, wearing reasonably realistic lamellar armor that covers vital areas! (as opposed to leaving the midriff or biceps open). The shoulder guard only covers the right shoulder which had me staring at first, but then it's not unheard of for soldiers to leave their shielded side less armored. Of course it all goes right down the drain with Eragon's little scale Gary Glitter costume at the end, but... *sigh* it was nice while it lasted.

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
Don't forget that the elven warrior-ess was STILL wearing impractical armor. She wasn't showing cleavage but what's with the arm? Why are medieval women portrayed as too incompetent to understand :knife-goes-in, guts-come-out"?

Offline Madonkadonk

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »
Good Thing: John Malcovich
Bad Thing:    John Malcovich