login

Author Topic: Submit for List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70's  (Read 2763 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4992
  • Mr. Robot
Submit for List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70's
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:23 AM »

It didn't begin easy.  In North America, film had hit a financial slump.  But creatively, film was already heading in the right direction, with a "new Hollywood" emerging in the late 60's with film finding success in an unlikely source in the meandering and introspective Easy Rider, a film about contemporary America.  From then on, a new young crop of directors emerged that shaped the decade with new types of filmmaking and new focuses and subjects for film.  With restriction in film related to sex, violence, profanity and previously taboo subjects lifting, film makers found more freedom to make different kinds of films than the eras previous.  Now, to a certain extent, each era is different than what came before but the 70's are still cited as possibly the most formative decade in film, along with the original Golden Age of Hollywood.

For one, it was both an era where the blockbuster was born, the idea of huge crowd-pleasing movies that film-goers were so excited about that people would line up around the block to see them.  At the same time, it was an era where, creatively, directors of huge Hollywood movies were inspired to be more daring.  Though no era was immune to cynicism or dark story telling, it's hard to imagine the previous generation having anti-hero protagonists like Travis Bickle or Alex DeLarge, horrifying monsters that the audience is invited to see the perspectives of.  But it wasn't all audacity, either.
It was about experimentation and presenting different kinds of ways to tell stories.  It was about films that dealt with moral ambiguity and attempts to deal with social issues in an emotionally honest way.  The world of the films no longer felt beholden to look polished or pretty and many films began to look grittier.  Even Star Wars, an optimistic fairy tale full of dazzling effects that was one of the pioneers of the modern blockbuster, took place in a lived-in world where even hover cars look like they've absorbed years of dust and grime.  This was especially prevalent in the big crime films of the era, where the cops weren't just clean cut do-gooders and became more complex.

Disenfranchisement also became a huge theme in cinema, with many of the heroes and antiheroes being outsiders or feeling apart from the values of the world they live in.  Many of the characters are tragic while others are success stories of an underdog finding their place in the world.  And some are a little more ambiguous, with no easy answers for the characters.

Many popular films of the era were new takes on a classic genre.  Sometimes it was simply taking said genre and using new forms of visual storytelling to make it feel new again, such as the new generation of noir and gangster pictures.  The industry began learning from the success of films like the Graduate and tried to make films that appealed to younger audiences (a strategy that didn't always work but lead to some interesting films).
Oh, horror came back in a big way this decade, too.  Hammer Studios had kept the genre alive in the 60s, but this was the introduction of horror movies that really had audiences talking and even making national news.  Interestingly, many of the films also preceded (and perhaps was responsible for) the Satanic Panic that would be big in the 70s and especially (in my mind) the 80s.

And that's just North American cinema.  There was a lot of fascinating stuff going on in this decade all over the world and I anticipate some amazing lists as a result.  Big classic, hidden gems, old favourites and hopefully some people will learn about, consider watching and even just revisiting beloved films of the era.  I hope you join in.

Here's the rules (and with the Hays Code gone, they are going to be freer than most).
Sweet Johnny's Baaaadaaaaassssssss Rules

• Submit a list of your top 25 favorite movie, with 1 being your very favorite and 25 being your least favorite among that subset of 25.
  • Entries will be scored by the basic formula: SCORE = 26 - position
  • Submit this list to me via Rifftrax Forum private message.
  • Full length movies only.  Sorry, no shorts.
  • TV movies are allowable, but mini-series is a step to far.
  • The film must have been released between 1970-1979, as you may have expected
  • Films from any nation are allowable.  You can base it on when they were released in their home country, rather than when they were released elsewhere.
  • If there's any ambiguity (such as a film released in the same decade with the same title) I'll ask you.
If you need help, here's a list of lists of films from the 70s by year.
- 1970 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1970
- 1971 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1971
- 1972 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1972
- 1973 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1973
- 1974 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1974
- 1975 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1975
- 1976 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1976
- 1977 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1977
- 1978 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1978
- 1979 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1979
  • Submission deadline is 11:59 PM Eastern time on Friday, February 22nd.  But it'll be a soft deadline so if you miss it, I'll try to keep you in the loop about how close you are to REALLY losing your chance to participate (you are probably good till the end of the weekend(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:01:18 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 238
Re: Submit for List of Crap #115: Top 50 Movies of the 70's
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
Seems like it's been a while since your last hosting gig, Johnny?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm mixing 5-star movies with Fun-star movies. I've cut my list down to 30, need to chop that down and then figure out the order.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3741
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:03 AM »
Didn't think I was going to participate this time around but I managed to scrounge up a list..
Sent! 8)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3083
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »
Got mine in before the first post. The '70s just didn't turn out a lot of great movies in my wheelhouse (except, of course, for a couple of the best movies ever made), but there were a lot of great animated movies that decade, and a few cult (and not-so-cult) comedies that I happen to adore.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »

I needed clarification on the accepted years before I could compile any list. As you remember from High School, decades actually begin on year one and end on year ten. So basically the 70s began on 1971 and ended in the final minutes of 1980. Of course, most popular culture would say the 70s began 1970 and ended 1979. This would be up to the LoC host which years were included. My problem is that a lot of my all time favorite films were released in 1980. So depending on which years the host decided would qualify would result in radically different lists.

Of course, my all time favorite film, Times Square, was released in 1980. As did Airplane, The Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Fame, Raging Bull, The Shining, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and Superman II, all of which would have been top contenders for my final 25 list. Not to mention that year also had The Idolmaker, The Jazz Singer, Little Darlings, My Bodyguard, One Trick Pony, Ordinary People, Used Cars and Xanadu, all which I liked a lot.

With 1980 films out of contention, I don't need to worry about cutting those films from my top 25. And 1970 has only two films I would consider putting on my top 25 list. ( Hint: both have Donald Sutherland in the cast. ) So in the immortal words of Bela Lugosi: "How fortunate. This simplifies everything."

Now all I have to do is either return home or find a work PC that doesn't block Yahoo, because I had already compiled a year by year list of my favorite 70s films that was color coded so the film's that I decided definitely would make my 25 list were in red, then tier 2 films in blue, and if there was still space on the list, tier 3 films in green. And unfortunately, my mobile device doesn't reproduce the Yahoo Mail text in color

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:44:42 PM »
As you remember from High School

That's very presumptive.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 290
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
List submitted.

I think the 70-79 is good and we can save those 80's releases for another list? Which I would love to do sometime as the 80s are my wheelhouse.

I definitely went with a lot of personal favorites vs. "the best" films of the decade...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
List submitted.

I think the 70-79 is good and we can save those 80's releases for another list? Which I would love to do sometime as the 80s are my wheelhouse.

We already did a Best Movies of the 80s list. I hosted it. It was LoC #66, back in 2012.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »
List submitted.

I definitely went with a lot of personal favorites vs. "the best" films of the decade...

I hope somebody does an 80s list. I can't wait to watch the horse race between Space Mutiny and Hobgoblins

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
Well son of a biscuit! Instead of cutting down to 25, I'm now up to 40! I found an unpublished "best of the 70s" list at Letterboxd that I apparently started working on a year ago, then forgot about.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 487
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
My list is submitted! Looking forward to the results! Might be all over the map for all I know.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02:37 AM »
Compiled my list.  86 so far but basically this is a list of all non-mst3k movies I've seen so I expect to cull a bunch real quick.  Just want to give some of them a second thought before dismissing them outright, just in case.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 487
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
Compiled my list.  86 so far but basically this is a list of all non-mst3k movies I've seen so I expect to cull a bunch real quick.  Just want to give some of them a second thought before dismissing them outright, just in case.
86!? Holy crap.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
If it makes you feel better, it's now been carved down to a trim 71.

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »
^ ;D

I didn't get that many because I'd think, "I love (such and such movie), but it realistically wont make the 25" so I didn't bother to add it.

I have it whittled to 25. All of my Best Picture winners from my blog were guaranteed a slot. Then I sprinkled in those I remember enjoying and watching over and over and over again back in the day.  I wanted to try and get at least one film in from directors and actors I admired at the time (and still do... but I was really trying to re-live the 70s in my mind. Tap into what was important to me then. And blend in what's important to me now)

I'm over explaining the process... sorry. But that was my mindset in building the 25. So it's done, but I'm going to wait a spell, make sure nothing else pops up, before I send it in.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:23:06 PM by George-2.0 »