login

Author Topic: Cinema Editions  (Read 589 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
Cinema Editions
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:56 AM »
Did you ever watch an MST3k episode and say "man, I wish I could watch this movie in the best possible version but still with all the riffs?

Welcome to a fan project: MST3k Cinema Edition

Nearly a year ago I started this project. I've joked that I'm an editor from the 80's living in the future. Having started out cutting dialogue tracks on horror films like "Puppetmaster" and "Howling III", I find that I can't really enjoy a film unless I know how much work went into making it.

"Cinema Editions" grew from 30 years of watching every episode and knowing nearly every riff the amazing team of Joel, Mike, Trace, Frank, Josh, Kevin, Bill and the rest at Best Brains wrote and performed on MST3K... and wondering: What if the films they riffed could be experienced in their original, uncut form? The editor in me never sleeps, so I set out to remaster every film featured in the MST3K library (all 217).

I spent a better part of 2017 hunting down most of the available films from many sources (in some cases, fans who had the only existing versions in high quality VHS captures from one-time television broadcasts). Others, from foreign distributions (like the UK version of the NBC "Gemini Man" TV series from which the Season 8, Episode 14: "Riding with Death" was created). Out of print proved to be the most elusive and most expensive of my acquisitions (yes, I purchased every one of the films). For example, the only existing DVD copy (for sale) of, "Soultaker" set me back a few hundred dollars, but was worth it as many fans had never seen the uncut version. I've acquired about 95% of the films. The remaining ones either are not yet available or (in the case of, "Dead Talk Back") are being held until further licenses agreements can be obtained.

Fortunately, companies like Shout Factory and others are starting to license and release Blu-rays of these films, which allows an even greater experience if fans had only ever seen the MST3K version.

Someone mentioned the time involved... Yes, it takes about 6 - 14 production hours per film to fully remix a seamless-as-possible experience. In a few cases like, "The Unearthly" every line of dialogue needed to be re-synced to time match the audio from the MST3K episode. This resulted in about 24 hours of production time over 5 days. In another case, the MST3K version of, "The Day the Earth Froze" was from a television cut of the film containing scenes (and thus, riffs) exclusive to that medium. When I obtained the Finnish-only version of the film, there were so many scenes that weren't shot for the theatrical version, that I ended up having to rebuild the entire riff narrative to have it make sense.

That this "hobby" of mine has found so many fans is well, truly humbling. I make zero profit from YouTube, which is why most of the studio lawyers have allowed them (there have been only a few films removed due to claims: "The Mole People" and "Fire Maidens from Outer Space" to name a couple). I will continue to produce these "Cinema Editions" for as long as they allow me, as I respect the copyright holder's ownership.

I was lead to this Reddit thread through the massive, and unexpected, jump in subs over the past 48 hours. I wanted to come by and simply say, "Thank you for your support"! It's a love of films that's enabled me to have the career I've had so far, and it's amazing to find so many others that share that love.

Keep watching the channel, as I'm sure one of your favorites is coming soon!

Cheers, GaryInMotion

One man's mania has turned to our benefit.  Check out his playlist here!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0OWWbUlGv8Zb14I1N9FcL_NKJL2xGSek

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Re: Cinema Editions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:38 AM »
Cool!

I did that with Phase IV, because the KTMA quality was so bad. Maybe I should give that to him.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:12:21 PM »
Yeah, I really hope he does the KTMA episodes like City On Fire, Hanger 18, and Death Flight

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Wow, this is awesome. Thanks.

You can now see that Jack Frost, or Morozko, is actually not bad to look at.

Hope he does Diabolik. That film with the good print is beautiful and I, daresay, groovy.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 767
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
Amazing!

I will be grabbing these for sure before anymore take downs happen!

Can't wait to watch uncut MITCHELL!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »
The print for The Incredible Melting Man is terrific. Though the cut of the film may not be family friendly in some spots.

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »
I'm worried when the maker ever think of "The Sidehackers" especially concerning....the scene that MST3K have to cut.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 09:06:21 PM »
Hmm. I remember a stack of VHS copies of Soultaker selling at a dollar store years ago. I was amazed that many still existed, and wondered if anyone bought any of them. Have no idea if it as cut or not so don't know if it would have been useful to him.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »
One of my favorites is coming!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bCvYqptmp3I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bCvYqptmp3I</a>
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:32:56 PM by linszoid »