Top 50 Films of the 70s
8 (47.1%)
Top 50 Laurel and Hardy Films
2 (11.8%)
Top 50 Indie Games
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 11, 2019, 01:24:29 PM

Author Topic: Vote for the next LoC!!!  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5616
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Vote for the next LoC!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »

@ linzoid - But did Roger Corman make any worthwhile movies in the 70s? Maybe he did, but most of his best IMHO came from the 60s... the Intruder and most especially The Masque of the Red Death. I always kind of wince when I see comments by Mary Jo (in the episode guide) or Mike, etc calling Corman a terrible director. Yeah I know you were on the receiving end of his worst... but give the man a decent budget and 5 week shooting schedule (as he had with Masque) and Corman proved he could put something truly wonderful on the big screen..
Roger Corman is the producer on his films! It's his damn fault he doesn't have the budget and time to film it properly. And the fact that he directed a few good movies in the Poe adaptations then went right back to directing shit means that HE LEARNED NOTHING about how to make a good movie! It proves that those are the exceptions, not the rule.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5616
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:46 AM »
It was LoC #7. And not many new Fruits & Vegetables, but the membership around here has changed drastically in the last 12 years. I think me, Johnny Unusual, and RVR are the only members still active from back then.
I had joined right before that one, but I wasn't contributing to the LoC yet.

Offline Cleat

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
Biographical films AKA biopics would be much more fulfilling than 70s movies. Vote for it now.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2594
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
Biopics are pretty much the worst genre of movie.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 477
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »
I can't even think of one biopic I liked except for maybe the recent Bohemian Rhapsody... if that qualifies as a biopic.

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 235
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 09:52:30 PM »

@ linzoid - But did Roger Corman make any worthwhile movies in the 70s? Maybe he did, but most of his best IMHO came from the 60s... the Intruder and most especially The Masque of the Red Death. I always kind of wince when I see comments by Mary Jo (in the episode guide) or Mike, etc calling Corman a terrible director. Yeah I know you were on the receiving end of his worst... but give the man a decent budget and 5 week shooting schedule (as he had with Masque) and Corman proved he could put something truly wonderful on the big screen..
Roger Corman is the producer on his films! It's his damn fault he doesn't have the budget and time to film it properly. And the fact that he directed a few good movies in the Poe adaptations then went right back to directing shit means that HE LEARNED NOTHING about how to make a good movie! It proves that those are the exceptions, not the rule.

Yeah it's his fault, but that doesn't change the fact that he could direct good movies. The problem was it always came back to money.

He wanted to do an important film (The Intruder) but what he talks about, when speaks of that film was that it didn't make a profit. And so that was it for making pictures like that.  Producer Corman took precedence over creative Corman.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4959
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »

I hesitate to mark any genre as inherently "worst" (unless it is a genre with a specifically harmful message or purpose, like "propaganda").  But the thing is, biopics often swing in the direction of "pander-y" or, in trying to be warts and all, basically just show you the worst of someone and miss the context of why they were an interesting figure in the first place.  I remember watching "Walk the Line" a few years ago and that it was a movie that people liked but I was shocked at how cheesy it was and found the biopic parody "Walk Hard" much more emotionally engaging, despite the fact that it is absolutely ridiculous.  But there are some good ones.  The Social Network, Persepolis, The Elephant Man, The Wolf of Wall Street, Hidden Figures (probably the most conventional of these films on my list, but I still like it), Moneyball, Goodfellas.  I try not to take how accurate they are into account (because often the answer is a wild "not even close), though, in considering whether they are good movies.  Of course, that view might change if they remove or whitewash an element of the story in a way that I feel alters things in a fashion I find unacceptable.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 122
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
While we're talking about various art/entertainment things, Johnny I asked you about some Morrison comics in the TV thread a bit ago, I'm still curious about that. You said his stuff has touched on "positivity vs. negativity", which comics are those? That sounds interesting to me, so I'd be interested in checking that out.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4959
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 07:01:24 AM »
The Invisibles.  There is a lot of that to get through though.  The Filth might be up your ally.  It's weird, gross and darkly funny but it is also an examination of going through depression and heavy negativity before coming out on the other side.

I also feel that's a lot in his superhero books.  Villains aren't just evil, they are often a kind of destructively nihilistic, pessimistic and/or cynical evil that just wants to drags things down with them and the heroes need to overcome them to create a better world.  There are certainly exceptions, where he just wants a fun anti-hero like Sebastian O or where things are much more murky, such as Mystery Play, but if that's a theme you want to see, it definitely comes up a lot in his superhero stuff (All-Star Superman in particular is a high-light and is my ideal take on Superman).

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2594
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »

I hesitate to mark any genre as inherently "worst" (unless it is a genre with a specifically harmful message or purpose, like "propaganda").  But the thing is, biopics often swing in the direction of "pander-y" or, in trying to be warts and all, basically just show you the worst of someone and miss the context of why they were an interesting figure in the first place.  I remember watching "Walk the Line" a few years ago and that it was a movie that people liked but I was shocked at how cheesy it was and found the biopic parody "Walk Hard" much more emotionally engaging, despite the fact that it is absolutely ridiculous.  But there are some good ones.  The Social Network, Persepolis, The Elephant Man, The Wolf of Wall Street, Hidden Figures (probably the most conventional of these films on my list, but I still like it), Moneyball, Goodfellas.  I try not to take how accurate they are into account (because often the answer is a wild "not even close), though, in considering whether they are good movies.  Of course, that view might change if they remove or whitewash an element of the story in a way that I feel alters things in a fashion I find unacceptable.

There are good examples to be sure - I think any genre has good examples if you're prepared to look.

Biopics have so many hurdles to jump before they can be good though - life doesn't happen in nice three act structures that suits a movie most of the time, so it's either boring, unsatisfying or needs to be fictionalised. I get ignoring accuracy for the sake of enjoying a movie, but then, why bother calling it a biopic? When it most succeeds as a film, it fails at being a biopic.

They usually end up promoting one bias or another, like you said - often sanitising or glorifying someone who shouldn't be, or demonising someone wrongly and altering people's ideas of history.

I'm not saying I dislike all biopics, but anytime I hear a movie is a biopic, I'm far less interested or likely to see it.
FINE

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 235
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 01:34:58 AM »
I could do biopics, but I'm with Edward on a lot of what he said. (I dislike, for example, when they make good people into bad - especially in more modern telling's, for the hurt that causes living family members. Cinderella Man and The Imitation Game are guilty of doing this. Or even in Zulu where Henry Hook is portrayed as a prick and a drunk... which is pretty much the complete opposite of who he was)

For me, the reason to watch them is for the acting. You can get some powerful acting in these things. It's why I keep watching movies about Elizabeth, for example. Elizabeth is a great role and she's been played by great performers (I don't even mind when they take liberties at this point. I've heard/seen the story so many times, a little change-up adds some plot surprises). Or Miles Ahead - which isn't really a true bio-pic and doesn't pretend to be.  It's all about capturing the essence of the man and his music, and it gave Don Cheadle the opportunity to show off his impressive acting chops.

So anyway, if we ever do biopics  I think my 25 would be rooted in performance, then form (the look, the style).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:36:30 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »
The 70's is a gold mine of great movies. This should be a very interesting LOC.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »
Well it looks like our next topic is 70s films hosted by Johnny Unusual!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »
You know I've got too much time on my hands when I've already got my list ready to go before the winner is even announced.  :P

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
You know I've got too much time on my hands when I've already got my list ready to go before the winner is even announced.  :P

I've got a list put together as well. I'm going to wait a week or so to see if any movies come to mind to shake up my rankings.