login

Author Topic: Star Wars 'The Mandalorian'  (Read 5059 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5042
Re: Star Wars 'The Mandalorian'
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »
I've seen the first two eps and so far I like it but I'm really frustrated by the direction, I feel like there's not enough wide shots or letting certain scenes breathe.  Maybe I'm looking at it to be Lone Wolf and Cub or a Western but it just feels like it's shot and cut in an un-cinematic way
Because it’s television. Big wide shots of shows that are supposed to take place on alien planets are expensive. Keeping it tight keeps the cost down.

I agree with VoC on the price of world-building visuals.  It may also be to make the show more 'intimate' - that it is a story of two particular characters (i.e. that the larger worlds are effectively irrelevant).  But I also agree with SotD that some shots could be a bit longer to better establish the start of a developing-parental relationship.

But then again, they need to keep the show 'active' to show that (at least so far) there is no safe place for the Mandalorian and Child to settle.  So the quick cuts make the feeling of the show 'uneasy' for the characters, by making it uneasy for the audience.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1649
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »
I've seen the first two eps and so far I like it but I'm really frustrated by the direction, I feel like there's not enough wide shots or letting certain scenes breathe.  Maybe I'm looking at it to be Lone Wolf and Cub or a Western but it just feels like it's shot and cut in an un-cinematic way

Because it’s television. Big wide shots of shows that are supposed to take place on alien planets are expensive. Keeping it tight keeps the cost down.

I mostly meant when he was on that planet where he finds the baby, seeing it was a practical location it would have added a lot for me without costing more.  Making them both feel alone and stranded
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »

I mostly meant when he was on that planet where he finds the baby, seeing it was a practical location it would have added a lot for me without costing more.  Making them both feel alone and stranded

Ehhhh. I’m sure the answer is money. This ‘practical’ location most likely did not look good in every direction, and it takes time to set up big wide shots and clear all the trucks and gear and equipment out. I just got done shooting a 13 hour day where the director (who is admittedly a bit of a tool) had to cut a bunch of shots for time because he went over and was going slow. So on a tv show that is already spending so much money on special effects and post effects and costumes and sets, I’m sure they were under a bunch of pressure to stay on schedule.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »
Why do they act as though the Jedi were ancient history? It was 19 years from Revenge Of The Sith and Return Of The Jedi, and Mandalorian is supposed to take place 5 years after that. That's only 24 years, barely a generation. Certainly not enough time for people to forget about The Force. There'd still be plenty of people alive from the days of the Galactic Republic.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 04:40:41 PM »
I finished Season 1. It was fantastic.
Although Moff Gideon being alive was as easy to predict as Kalgan in Space Mutiny.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2020, 12:07:02 AM »
For anyone interested: Woot! tee, $15 (no shipping if have Prime).

To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »
Cool, just ordered one.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2020, 11:59:30 AM »
Cool, just ordered one.

I did too, right before posting it here.  I did a similar thing with a pic of my first cat (as an adult) but with 12 different color combos, calling it "Omaha, a la Warhol".

I had basically run out of things I wanted to watch on Disney+ (well, technically, the one thing left I wasn't finished with I needed a break from), Netflix (have found a few more since), Hulu, and a few others (e.g. the Roku channel).  So I binge watched the whole season again.  Given my memory issues from the TBIs, even though I really liked the show when first watching it, I liked it even more the 2nd time through, since I could remember more details from episode to episode.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5535
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2020, 12:05:30 PM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5535
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »

What is the one on the left?
The gator that ate Carl Weather’s hand in Happy Gilmore.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1094
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
That’s right, and at one point somebody did a video where they made it look like Carl Weathers survived the events of predator and that explains why he has a prosthetic arm in happy Gilmore.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2020, 09:44:32 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »
I am a little curious how there are so many Portal cubes storing things in the Star Wars/Mandalorian's environment.  ;)

Did something to add a specific bit of variety to my computer wallpaper.  I have a great program that takes frames out of video and saves them as jpgs (program called 'Video to Picture').  You can set it to make as many or as few images per second as you wish.  I've sent all eight episodes of The Mandalorian through the program at 2 wallpapers a second (generating about 4500 jpgs an episode), and cut out any that don't have The Child (face-on and largely in focus) in them.  Total number of The Child pics for all 8 episodes is just under 2000 images.  Oh, I saved a clean (credit-free) copy of each bit of the awesome pre-production art from the end credits for each ep as well.

Oh, and is the "galaxy far, far away" in the UK?  WTF is up with the baby Child carrier being called a "pram"?

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1094
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
I have to push the pram a lot!!!