Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 334949 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6020
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #3060 on: January 16, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
I tried another episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I went for the one with the werewolf. That was a pretty pathetic werewolf, even by low budget 70s TV standards, yeesh! Darren McGavin is still fun. And this does a pretty good job of making the side characters interesting. Particularly Paula, who is smarter than you'd think given how she's introduced (and she looks like a 70s Peg Bundy). Especially when Kolchak tries to outsmart her and she sees through it immediately. I didn't expect a romance or anything, but I was surprised she's just dropped from the episode after a while. I figured she would turn out to be a reporter too or something. I also liked the ship's captain who was having none of Kolchak's crap and going by the book. There was also a fun Assistant Porter who was constantly doing side deals. But this suffers from there being no mystery. We know who the werewolf is early on, and it's just a waiting game for Kolchak to catch up. The guy who is a the werewolf is clearly distressed by his situation, but he's not sympathetic. And he doesn't have any motives for his werewolf rampages other than "Welp, grew some hair, gotta murder I guess!"

So far I'm not that impressed. Are these two pretty emblematic of the series? Which one is considered the best episode?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 433
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Which one is considered the best episode?

According to Ratingraph.com (a website that graphs out IMDb scores for tv shows & movie franchises), episode 11 is by far the best episode. Never seen the series, so I can't say for myself, but Ratingraph has usually been very reliable for me. I was looking for some solid Dick Van Dyke Show episodes a few months ago and picked the highest ones. They were pretty much beginning-to-end funny.

Here's the link for Kolchak:
https://www.ratingraph.com/tv_shows/kolchak_the_night_stalker-35879/
« Last Edit: Today at 07:19:32 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6020
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Which one is considered the best episode?

According to Ratingraph.com (a website that graphs out IMDb scores for tv shows & movie franchises), episode 11 is by far the best episode. Never seen the series, so I can't say for myself, but Ratingraph has usually been very reliable for me. I was looking for some solid Dick Van Dyke Show episodes a few months ago and picked the highest ones. They were pretty much beginning-to-end funny.

Here's the link for Kolchak:
https://www.ratingraph.com/tv_shows/kolchak_the_night_stalker-35879/
Thank you. That is helpful.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2739
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I loved Kolchak as a kid watching it in the 70s but trying to go back and watch it as an adult it just never pulled me back in.