login

Author Topic: Things I noticed about the new show.  (Read 417 times)

Offline CastletonSnob

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
Things I noticed about the new show.
« on: January 18, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »
I just realized that the new MST3K still hasn't had a short yet, or done a black and white movie. In the original show, shorts were like an appetizer to get you ready for the movie. And cheesy black and white sci-fi movies from the 50s-60s were the show's bread and butter. Why do you think they haven't done a short or an old B&W movie yet?

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4477
Re: Things I noticed about the new show.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
I just realized that the new MST3K still hasn't had a short yet, or done a black and white movie. In the original show, shorts were like an appetizer to get you ready for the movie. And cheesy black and white sci-fi movies from the 50s-60s were the show's bread and butter. Why do you think they haven't done a short or an old B&W movie yet?
For the newest season, Netflix specified that the films they riffed had to be both widescreen and in HD, which leaves out a lot of older movies.  Not sure about the shorts, though.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
For the newest season, Netflix specified that the films they riffed had to be both widescreen and in HD, which leaves out a lot of older movies.  Not sure about the shorts, though.

My guess is those movies usually have a run time of 90+ mins because they aren't B-Movies made to be packaged in a bundle. For whatever reason they are sticking to a fairly consistent episode length.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5138
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:02:33 PM »
I still think they should do shorts (and they can be short shorts, so to speak) as promotional youtube videos prior to upcoming seasons or live shows.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:03:15 PM »
I still think they should do shorts (and they can be short shorts, so to speak) as promotional youtube videos prior to upcoming seasons or live shows.

That would be great. The did something similar already by riffing a scene from Stranger Things before season 12.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
I guess the other issue - if netflix's restriction to widescreen is true - is that shorts are always (?) 4:3.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
I understand the thinking behind the qualifications, since they are trying to attract an audience, not all of whom are going to be interested in lower resolution and black and white movies. So they are trying to go for as wide of an appeal as possible. I'm hoping that Season 11 and 12 are enough of a success that they will relax their restrictions a bit. But even if they don't, the selections of the last two seasons has be really good, so if they kept that up I would accept it.