Author Topic: Underrated episodes.  (Read 877 times)

Offline CastletonSnob

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
Underrated episodes.
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »
We all know the episodes that everyone loves, like Space Mutiny and Manos, but what about the episodes that are good, but nobody talks about them? What episodes do you feel are underrated?

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Re: Underrated episodes.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:47:27 PM »
Danger!! Death Ray, The Beatniks, and The Starfighters are in my top ten. I also love Moon Zero Two, The Wild Rebels, Stranded in Space, Daddy-O, Secret Agent Super Dragon, Gunslinger, Code Name: Diamond Head, The Sinister Urge, Racket Girls, The Brute Man, The Thing That Couldn't Die, and Devil Fish. (I assume those are all "underrated")

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:43:59 PM »
I have a fondness for the non-kaiju giant monster movies that tend to be overlooked. (I love the kaiju too, but those tend to be well-appreciated.)

Deadly Mantis, Giant Gila Monster, Killer Shrews, and Beginning of the End are all great.

I'm also the only one I know with a special fondness for Blood Waters of Dr. Z. The movie is just so wonderfully strange.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:56:49 AM »
I see so much hate for Hamlet pop up, but I always loved it. Really dug the concept behind riffing a great thing in a dreary package.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
I see so much hate for Hamlet pop up, but I always loved it. Really dug the concept behind riffing a great thing in a dreary package.
That one has grown on me.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 172
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 02:35:05 PM »
San Francisco International is way underrated. I also prefer Santa Claus to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Also, Invasion of the Neptune Men is one of my faves. As is Hercules and the Captive Women (All those Uranus jokes!). As for new Jonah episodes, I'd say The Day Time Ended is a love-it-or-hate-it episode, but I love it to pieces.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
Yeah, San Francisco International is wonderful.  I think MST3k does great with 70's cheese in particular.  It's not a favourite, but yeah, the Hamlet hate is a bit much.  I think it's cool for the show to attempt it.

Danger!! Death Ray is also delightful and has my all time favourite stinger.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Radar Secret Service - I love that episode.
FINE

Offline CastletonSnob

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 03:51:31 PM »
Personally, I think Girl in Lovers Lane and Deathstalker are underrated. I think Season 7 as a whole is underrated.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:57:11 PM »
I think Season 7 as a whole is underrated.

Ditto. It has a higher riff quality density than any other season. For me, NOTBB and Laserblast are the weakest of the six, but they are still good. The other four are fantastic. It's a shame that they got canceled at that point.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 172
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »
I think Season 7 as a whole is underrated.

Ditto. It has a higher riff quality density than any other season. For me, NOTBB and Laserblast are the weakest of the six, but they are still good. The other four are fantastic. It's a shame that they got canceled at that point.

Are you still in the Bronx? If so, LEAVE THE BRONX!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 05:18:02 PM »
Don't think it's under rated, but Laserblast from Season 7 is my favorite episode.

The Rebel Set maybe. Love the Chicago host segment and the riffs about how they're obviously not in Illinois.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 12:44:12 AM »
Most of the ones I thought of are listed: Radar Secret Service, The Rebel Set, Starfighters, The Thing that Couldn't Die.
Have a hard time believing some people don't like The Day Time Ended.

To the above I'll add It Lives By Night. Such a good one and tied with Boggy Creek as the best of Season 10

Also, Leech Woman is great.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:46:17 AM by losingmydignity »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
I like The Dead Talk Back. The skit where they talk to Abe Lincoln and Winston Churchhill about football is one of my favorites.

I think Fugitive Alien is underrated too. Mike does an excellent Jack Perkins and the whole movie is fun Japanese sci-fi zaniness. And who could forget the "He TRIED to kill me with a forklift!" song?

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »
I'll add another Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell and Secret Agent Super Dragon. But one that gets overlooked is the blandly named 'Being From Another Planet' which wasn't *that* terrible as a made for tv 'alien mummy terrorizes a college campus' movie. And yes, I too would like to be introduced to Sherri Bellafonte.  :D