Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 515
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2019, 03:01:53 PM »
Thrawn is one character I regret leaving off my list. I just didn't know a whole lot about him and that lack of knowledge had me replace one character with another.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 279
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »
#9: Lando Calrissian

132 points
10 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #6 RVR II

From wookiepedia:

Lando Calrissian was a human male smuggler, gambler, and card player who became Baron Administrator of Cloud City and, later, a general in the Rebel Alliance. He was the owner of the Millennium Falcon before losing it to Han Solo in a game of sabacc on Numidian Prime. After losing the Falcon, Calrissian put an end to his days as a smuggler and became an entrepreneur, setting up a small mining operation on the planet Lothal before eventually becoming the leader of Cloud City in the skies of the planet Bespin.

During the Galactic Civil War, Darth Vader arrived on Cloud City in order to lay a trap for his son, Luke Skywalker. As part of the trap, the Dark Lord of the Sith forced Calrissian into tricking a group of Rebels, including Solo and Princess Leia Organa, leading them to Vader himself. Though Vader promised to leave Cloud City without an Imperial presence, Calrissian felt the deal had been altered to the point where he could no longer tolerate it. Calrissian alerted his citizens to the Galactic Empire's presence and impending occupation, and he ordered an evacuation. He helped the Rebels try to rescue Solo, who had been frozen in carbonite, from Boba Fett, but the bounty hunter escaped.

Calrissian joined the Rebel Alliance and set out to find Solo. After locating him in the palace of Jabba the Hutt on Tatooine, Calrissian aided in his rescue. The Rebels returned to the fleet and Calrissian became a general, volunteering to lead the assault on the Death Star II during the Battle of Endor. During the battle, he piloted the Millennium Falcon into the battle station's core, firing the shot which destroyed it.

My thoughts:
The charming rogue played by Billy Dee Williams and later by Donald Glover. Glover nailed the role in Solo. Card player, scoundrel, you'd like him.

"Lando is not a system he's a black guy; in fact I think he may be the only black guy in the galaxy." - Family Guy

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2019, 04:35:55 PM »
Why would you expect the combined list to turn out like your own?
No, not EXACTLY like my own, I just think it's puzzling how characters like Jabba, Salacious Crumb, C3PO and so on are so highly ranked above certain others. Just makes me want to go "Really? You really like this character that much?". Look, Charles it's just a matter of opinion, my opinion and it carries no more weight than anyone else's.

Have you ever run one of these? After a while you get a feel for how people tend to vote. I, like several others, tend to skew my more oddball choices towards the top, just to insure they make the list somewhere. I don't actually think Jek Tono Porkins is the best SW character  :-\

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
#8: R2-D2

140 points
10 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #3 MartyS

From wookiepedia
:
R2-D2, pronounced Artoo-Detoo and often referred to as R2(Artoo), was an R2 series astromech droid manufactured by Industrial Automaton with masculine programming. A smart, spunky droid serving a multitude of masters over its lifetime, R2 never had a full memory wipe (apart from a partial mind-wipe by Cad Bane during the buildup to the senate hostage crisis) nor has he received new programming, with these factors resulting in an adventurous and independent attitude. Oftentimes finding himself in pivotal moments in galactic history, his bravery and ingenuity saved the galaxy time and time again.

Beginning his service in the employ of Queen Amidala of Naboo, the droid would wind up serving Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker during the waning years of the Galactic Republic, often accompanied by the protocol droid C-3PO in many adventures throughout the Clone Wars. After his master's turn to the dark side of the Force, he would eventually serve Senator Bail Organa for a time in the Imperial Senate. Nineteen years following the death of the Galactic Republic, he would play a pivotal role in helping the Alliance to Restore the Republic destroy the Empire's dreaded Death Star, carrying technical readouts essential to its destruction. Serving Jedi Purge survivor Luke Skywalker throughout the Galactic Civil War, he would participate in both the Battles of Hoth and Endor, and would witness the destruction of the Empire's dreaded Death Star II a mere four years after the first space station's destruction.

In the subsequent thirty years, Artoo would accompany Luke Skywalker until the destruction of his attempted resurrection of the Jedi Order. Following Luke's disappearance, Artoo set himself into a self-imposed low power mode as newer droid models started to out-compute the aging astromech. Despite this, his celebrated role in the Rebellion protected him from the usual recycling procedure of many old droids, allowing him a peaceful semi-retirement in the Resistance as he pored over several decades of uninterrupted data, causing him to 'dream' of many of his greatest adventures.

My thoughts:

For a bot that only beeps, they got a LOT of mileage out of him. But who doesn't love R2? I think everyone wants a plucky robot companion that has a knack for saving the day and getting you out of trouble. May he fly again someday.

"Hello" - Luke
"I stood next to your mother as she died" - Rifftrax(as R2)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »
Have you ever run one of these? After a while you get a feel for how people tend to vote. I, like several others, tend to skew my more oddball choices towards the top, just to insure they make the list somewhere. I don't actually think Jek Tono Porkins is the best SW character  :-\
Interesting. Yeah I tend to be more of a traditionalist when I assemble my lists. Sometimes I'll vote something toward or near the top but only because in my heart I honestly believe who/what really deserves that top spot.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 130
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2019, 09:46:13 PM »
Lotta great characters here, Emperor Palpatine in particular is a fav of mine. Such a unique villain and performance, he's great. All very memorable characters.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5088
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »

I vote honestly as I can. I'd rather not try to skew things into my favour and try to game the system and let my choices stand for myself.  If other people don't feel the same way, fine.  I can just try to talk up entries I voted for and didn't make it when I post my list.  However, there are times when I struggle and question "am I putting ___ over ____ because I genuinely like them more or because I believe I could".  This often happens with choices I like intellectually/in principle against "I just like them" and even then, I question how much I do.  Lot of soul searching sometimes.

And my #25 is sometimes used for a silly or oddball choice that I'd be delighted to see make it but wouldn't lose sleep over.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
#7: Chewbacca

145 points
10 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #1 MartyS

From wookiepedia:

Chewbacca, known affectionately to his friends as Chewie, was a Wookiee warrior, smuggler, and resistance fighter who fought in the Clone Wars, the Galactic Civil War, and the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance. He hailed from the planet Kashyyyk and became a Wookiee military leader. During the Clone Wars, he was captured by Trandoshan slavers and held captive on Wasskah, but he worked with a fellow captive, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, to escape. He later commanded Wookiee forces during the Battle of Kashyyyk alongside the Grand Army of the Republic, led by Jedi Master Yoda. During the battle, one of the last ones of the war, Yoda's clone troopers received Order 66 from Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and, with the help of Chewbacca, Yoda escaped Kashyyyk and the destruction of the Jedi Order.

In the years that followed, during the rule of the Galactic Empire, Chewbacca became a smuggler and the co-pilot of Captain Han Solo aboard the Millennium Falcon. They worked in the employ of crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure until Solo was forced to dump a shipment of spice to avoid trouble with the Empire, at which point a bounty was placed on their heads. Soon thereafter, Chewbacca and Solo were hired by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to ferry him, Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, and R2-D2 to Alderaan on a mission vital to the survival of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. After finding Alderaan was destroyed, the group was brought aboard the Death Star, where they helped Princess Leia Organa escape from captivity and return to the Rebel base on Yavin 4. Though Chewbacca and Solo initially chose to leave Yavin 4 and not join the Rebellion, they ended up fighting in the Battle of Yavin and were instrumental in Skywalker's destruction of the Death Star, a major victory for the Rebellion.

Throughout the war, Chewbacca and Solo fought the Empire in a number of engagements, including an assault on Cymoon 1 and the battle on Vrogas Vas. Along with Princess Organa and C-3PO, they escaped from Echo Base on the planet Hoth after the Empire tracked the Rebel Alliance there. The group sought refuge with Lando Calrissian, an old friend of Solo's, on Cloud City, but Calrissian betrayed them and turned them over to Darth Vader, the Emperor's chief enforcer, after his city was threatened. Solo was frozen in carbonite and Calrissian helped the others escape, but they were too late to save the frozen Solo from being taken by Boba Fett to Jabba the Hutt. Chewbacca and Calrissian set off to find Solo and located him in Jabba's Palace on Tatooine, where Chewbacca and his friends saved Solo and destroyed Jabba. Shortly thereafter, they fought in the Battle of Endor, where Chewbacca helped destroy the shield generator and allowed the Alliance Fleet to destroy the Death Star II. The Emperor was killed aboard the battle station, delivering a crippling blow to the Empire.

After Endor and the rise of the New Republic, Chewbacca and Solo fought to liberate Kashyyyk from the Empire. When the war finally came to a close, Chewbacca returned home to Kashyyyk with his family. After Solo's son Ben, turned to the dark side and destroyed Skywalker's new generation of Jedi, Chewbacca reunited with his old friend and the two spent many years as smugglers once more. They lost the Millennium Falcon and ended up smuggling aboard a ship called the Eravana, but they eventually found the Falcon and, with it, stowaways named Rey, Finn, and the droid BB-8. The droid had part of a map that led to the exiled Luke Skywalker, so the group brought the map to the Resistance that opposed the First Order, which had risen from the ashes of the Galactic Empire. Chewbacca soon fought in the assault to destroy Starkiller Base, a devastating First Order superweapon, a conflict in which Solo lost his life at the hands of his son. After the base was destroyed, Chewbacca joined Rey in traveling to the planet Ahch-To on the Falcon, where they found Luke Skywalker. After Solo's death, Chewbacca often served as the sole pilot of the Falcon, including piloting the ship to aid the Resistance during the Battle of Crait.

My thoughts:
At last we have the mighty Chewbacca. Son of Itchy and father of Lumpy. Faithful companion and the conscience of Han Solo. So strong that they had to drop a planet on him in the Legends books. He's kind of the intelligent pet we all wanted.

"Sure give the welding torch to the highly combustible man-ape"

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
#6: Obi Wan Kenobi

152 points
9 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #3 RVR II

From wookiepedia:

Obi-Wan Kenobi, later known as Ben Kenobi during his exile, was a Force-sensitive human male Jedi Master who served the Galactic Republic. He was a mentor and close friend to both Anakin Skywalker and his son, Luke, training them in the ways of the Force.

Born on the planet Stewjon, Kenobi became the Padawan learner of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Kenobi then became the first Jedi in a millennium to defeat a Sith Lord when he defeated Darth Maul during the Battle of Naboo. During the battle, Jinn was mortally wounded by Maul, and perished in Kenobi's arms. At Jinn's behest, Kenobi took Anakin Skywalker to be his own Padawan, training him during the decade leading up to the Clone Wars.

During the Clone Wars, Skywalker was made a Jedi Knight while Kenobi (as a result of his military successes in the Outer Rim) was granted the title of Master and named to the Jedi Council. The two Jedi fought alongside each other as generals many times. In the last days of the Clone Wars, Skywalker turned to the dark side, betraying the Jedi. Skywalker's new Sith Master, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, used Order 66 to destroy the Jedi Order, though Kenobi survived and reunited with another survivor, Grand Master Yoda. Kenobi confronted Skywalker, who had now taken the name Darth Vader, on Mustafar, and the two dueled. Kenobi emerged the victor, gravely wounding Vader and remorsefully leaving him for dead. However, as Palpatine established the Galactic Empire in place of the Galactic Republic, Vader was rehabilitated, though he was forced to rely on a cybernetic suit for life support. Kenobi went into exile on Tatooine, where he would watch over Vader's newborn son, Luke Skywalker, who he took to live with his aunt and uncle, Beru and Owen Lars.

Seventeen years into his exile, he eventually confronted his old enemy Maul, who he again defeated in a brief duel. As the former Sith lay dying in Kenobi's arms, the two finally made peace, and Maul stated that Luke would avenge them both.

In 0 BBY, Kenobi received a message via R2-D2 from Leia Organa asking for help in the Rebel Alliance's fight against the Empire. The droid contained the plans to the Death Star, a battle station created by the Empire capable of destroying planets, and the plans needed to be taken to Bail Organa on Alderaan. After Luke Skywalker's aunt and uncle were killed by Imperial forces searching for the plans, Skywalker agreed to join Kenobi on this mission and be trained as a Jedi. The pair were taken to Alderaan by Han Solo, only for them to discover that the planet had been destroyed by the Death Star. Their ship, the Millennium Falcon, was captured by the Death Star's tractor beam, and Kenobi was confronted by Darth Vader. Vader and Kenobi dueled again, and Kenobi allowed Vader to kill him so that Luke and his companions could escape the Death Star.

In the following years, as Luke continued fighting for the Rebel Alliance, Kenobi continued to give him guidance as a Force spirit, including directing Luke to the planet Dagobah, where Luke received training from one of Obi-Wan's Masters, Yoda.

My thoughts:
Obi Wan Kenobi. Everyone loved Alec Guinness's performance even if Alec wasn't totally on board with the project. He was the mentor that guided the hero on the path to greatness. I thought this character was particularly served well by the prequel trilogies as we get to see him grow from a Padawan into a Jedi Master. He really helps tie the trilogies together.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 130
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Gotta love Chewie. I have a Chewbacca folder set up sort of like a poster/art-piece, it classes up the room. And Obi-Wan is great.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »
Gotta love Chewie. I have a Chewbacca folder set up sort of like a poster/art-piece, it classes up the room. And Obi-Wan is great.

My brother once had a life size cardboard cut-out of Boba Fett. Apparently it scared a maid that once entered to clean his room.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
#5: Luke Skywalker

178 points
10 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #1 PyschoGoatee

From wookiepedia:

Luke Skywalker, a Force-sensitive human male, was a Jedi Knight who fought for the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. The son of Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmé Amidala, Skywalker was born in the year 19 BBY—two days after the end of the Clone Wars and the birth of the Galactic Empire—alongside his twin sister, Leia Amidala Skywalker. With the galaxy under the dominion of the Sith, the Skywalker siblings were separated at birth. Luke was sent to live with his relatives on the Outer Rim planet Tatooine while Leia was adopted into the House of Organa and raised as a princess of Alderaan. For two decades Skywalker had no knowledge of his Jedi heritage or his connection to the Force until a fateful encounter with Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi in 0 BBY. Through Kenobi, Skywalker learned that his father was once a Jedi Knight of the Old Republic and ultimately sought to follow in Anakin's example by becoming a Jedi as well.

With the aid of the smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca, Skywalker and Kenobi embarked on a journey to Alderaan only to be captured and taken aboard the Death Star, the Empire's moon-sized battle station that possessed the capacity to destroy entire planets. Upon learning that Princess Leia Organa was also a prisoner aboard the station, Skywalker and his allies took the opportunity to rescue the Alderaanian royal but at the cost of his mentor Kenobi, who became one with the Force as a result of a final duel with his one-time apprentice, the fallen Jedi-turned-Sith Lord Darth Vader. Committing himself to the cause of the Rebellion, Skywalker participated in the Battle of Yavin where he succeeded in destroying the Death Star. As his powers continued to grow, Skywalker journeyed to Dagobah where he hoped to complete his training under Yoda, the last Grand Master of the Jedi Order. However, Vader exploited Skywalker's emotional attachment to his friends, using them as bait to lure the young Jedi hopeful out of hiding. The result was a duel on Cloud City, Bespin where Skywalker was defeated and maimed by the Sith Lord. Vader, who was keenly aware of the boy's immense potential in the Force, revealed that he was, in fact, Anakin Skywalker. He beseeched Skywalker to join him, insisting that they could rule the galaxy together as father and son, but Skywalker refused and was able to regroup with the Rebels.

Skywalker eventually came to terms with the revelation that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader were one and the same. However, in spite of Vader's immersion in the dark side, Skywalker perceived the goodness that endured within his father and was convinced that he could be restored to the light side of the Force. In 4 ABY he confronted his father for the last time but was then brought before Vader's Sith Master, Darth Sidious, the reigning Dark Lord of the Sith and Galactic Emperor. The Emperor goaded Skywalker by tempting him with the dark side, resulting in a final duel in which Skywalker prevailed against Vader yet remained steadfast in his commitment to the Jedi way by refusing to strike down his own father. Angered by this turn of events, the Emperor tortured the self-proclaimed Jedi Knight with a torrent of Force lightning while Vader was forced to watch his son writhe in agony. To the Emperor's surprise, however, Vader did indeed turn as his son had hoped, ending Sidious' life but at the cost of his own. The deaths of the last two Sith Lords brought the Force back into balance, thereby fulfilling the ancient Jedi prophecy that foretold the destruction of the Sith. By sacrificing his life, Luke's father found redemption in his final moments of life and therefore died in the light as Anakin Skywalker—the Chosen One of the Force.

By the end of the Galactic Civil War in 5 ABY, Skywalker stood as the last of the Jedi. Yoda's dying wish was that Skywalker would pass on his lessons to a new generation of Jedi Knights; therefore, Skywalker ultimately founded a training temple where he served as the Jedi Master of a dozen students. Among his acolytes was the young but powerful Ben Solo, his sister's son from her marriage to Han Solo. For a time Skywalker believed that the Jedi Order would, in fact, rise again with the younger Solo as his eventual successor. It was Skywalker's hope that he would not die as the last Jedi, but then he gradually came to sense the rising darkness within Solo and grew fearful for the people he loved. For a brief moment, Skywalker considered ending Solo's life before his dark future could come to pass, causing Solo to lash out by destroying the temple and slaughtering the other apprentices. Losing his nephew to the dark side filled Skywalker with shame and remorse; disillusioned by the destruction of his life's work, he elected to live out his remaining years in exile on Ahch-To, the lost homeworld of the Jedi Order, as a hermit. Though he fully intended to remain outside of the galactic conflict between the First Order and the Resistance, Skywalker ultimately embraced his heritage once more, sacrificing his life in 34 ABY in order to save his sister's movement. Skywalker passed away into the Force, but his legend would spread across the galaxy, bringing hope to the enemies of the First Order. In addition, the Jedi Order did not die with him as Rey, a scavenger from Jakku, inherited the mantle of the Jedi upon Skywalker's death.

My thoughts:
He was probably the character every kid in the 70s and 80s wanted to be. Who the heck didn't want to imagine that they had some special power inside them and that they had a special destiny? Who didn't want to pilot an Xwing and blow up Tie Fighters and Death Stars? The new movies may have taken the character in a contreversial direction but I still want to see Luke as some kind of awesome force ghost that torments Kylo Ren (note that the last sentence was speculation on my part and I haven't been reading any episode 9 spoilers)

"By the way, I got you a cell phone for Father's Day -- it's hands-free. BURN!" - Bill Corbett as Luke

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
WoW  :o Luke is ONLY number 5??? This is one of those rare situations where I can only think of at most two, MAYBE three characters worthy of being ranked higher.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:10:02 PM by Russoguru »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
Competition at the top was fierce. At 178 points Luke would've qualified for first in many lists. I think the top entry in the Star Trek list only got 150ish points or so.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »
That's it for tonight. I'm hoping to finish on Tuesday but I do start a new job tomorrow so hopefully that won't throw a wrench in things.