Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 9015 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
I'd guess you have reasons for saying that from previous stuff. That particular post wasn't trolling, seemed pretty reasonable, just point of view discussion stuff. Ideally we can all get along.

I'm getting a strong deja vu off this - like maybe you said the same thing one of the last times we had to ban him? - but to be clear, it wasn't this comment that got him banned, it's his repeated behaviour going back to at least 2013 (and I deleted all of his other comments this time, except this one which people had been replying to).

Starts off slow, then starts posting hateful, racist, homophobic etc garbage.

So that's why his post in the "Yor: Hunter from the Future" forum, which was pretty clever and I "Like"ed, spontaneously vanished.  :-\

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:25 PM »
If the top spot is who I think it's going to be then I'm gonna be real surprised. I think it's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2019, 06:36:35 PM »
#13: C-3P0

90 points
8 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #8 Johnny Unusual

From wookiepedia:

C-3PO, sometimes spelled See-Threepio and often referred to as Threepio, was a bipedal, humanoid protocol droid designed to interact with organics, programmed primarily for etiquette and protocol. He was fluent in over six million forms of communication, and developed a fussy and worry-prone personality throughout his many decades of operation. After being destroyed and discarded on the planet Tatooine before 32 BBY, C-3PO was rebuilt; his salvaged nature gave him special qualities that distinguished him from similar droid models. Along with his counterpart, the astromech droid R2-D2, C-3PO constantly found himself directly involved in pivotal moments of galactic history, and aided in saving the galaxy on many occasions. C-3PO considered various droids and organics to be friends of his, and was very dedicated to them, as well as to any master that he served.

Originally activated on Affa in 112 BBY, C-3PO had served as a protocol droid to the emissary of the Manakron system. Nearly eighty years later, he was gutted and discarded on the streets of Mos Espa, a city on the Outer Rim world of Tatooine. After being rebuilt by the Human slave Anakin Skywalker, C-3PO served Skywalker and his mother Shmi for over ten years, performing household chores and helping Skywalker earn his freedom by winning a pod race. Skywalker left Tatooine but returned in 22 BBY when his mother passed away, and C-3PO was given to Skywalker, now a Jedi Padawan, by Shmi's stepson Owen Lars. C-3PO, Skywalker, R2-D2, and the Naboo Senator Padmé Amidala immediately became embroiled in the Clone Wars, a galaxy-wide conflict between the Galactic Republic and the Separatist Confederacy of Independent Systems. Skywalker married Amidala and gave C-3PO to her as a wedding gift, and C-3PO faithfully assisted her in her senatorial duties throughout the three-year conflict. The two often entered the front lines of the war, at times fighting alongside Skywalker and R2-D2.

At the end of the war, Skywalker became a Sith Lord, Amidala passed away, the Jedi Order was exterminated, and the Republic was reorganized into a Galactic Empire. C-3PO's memory was erased, however R2-D2's memory was not. C-3PO and R2-D2 were assigned to the corvette Tantive IV of Alderaan, where they served Alderaan's viceroy Bail Organa for nineteen years. They were, however, separated from Organa during that time period, and got caught up in a wide variety of misadventures, ruining the gangster Tig Fromm, helping restore the Tammuz-an monarchy, and aiding the merchant Mungo Baobab in reviving his family's fortune, among other exploits. After rejoining the crew of the Tantive IV and serving under Captain Raymus Antilles, they became embroiled in the Galactic Civil War, and in 0 BBY, Leia Organa of the Rebel Alliance entrusted them to bring a copy of the Death Star plans to the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine. After meeting Skywalker's son Luke and the smuggler Han Solo, the droids helped rescue princess Leia from the Empire's Death Star and became directly attached to the three Humans, helping them and their rebellion defeat the Empire and restore freedom to the galaxy.

When the Rebellion became a New Republic, C-3PO continued to serve Luke and the now-married Han & Leia Solo, helping them defeat remnants of the Empire. Notably, C-3PO helped the Solos raise their three children, and aided Luke in recruiting trainees for his New Jedi Order. His translation abilities proved crucial during major incidents on Bakura, the starship Teljkon Vagabond, and in the Kathol sector, and in 17 ABY, he and R2-D2 teamed up with a young mechanic named Cole Fardreamer to foil a plan to bomb the galactic capital of Coruscant. When an extra-galactic race of religious zealots known as the Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy in 25 ABY, C-3PO participated in the four-year conflict that eventually saw the invaders defeated. The destruction wrought by the invaders, and particularly their harsh treatment of droids, caused C-3PO to deeply question his views on deactivation, immortality, and memory erasure. Twelve years later, he began helping raise the latest addition to the Solo/Skywalker clan; the spritely youth Allana.

My thoughts:
The protocol droid which speaks a billion languages. Has appeared in just about every movie. Charming droid but has the effect of getting on people's nerves. Loves to tell the odds.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
#12: Jabba the Hutt

91 points
8 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #6 Pak Man

From wookiepedia:

Jabba Desilijic Tiure, better known as Jabba the Hutt and often called "the Bloated One", though never to his face[13], was one of the most notorious Hutt crime lords in the galaxy, who governed a large criminal empire located in the Outer Rim Territories from his desert palace on Tatooine. At the height of his power, Jabba was one of the most powerful crime lords in the galaxy, even having contact with Prince Xizor, the head of the Black Sun Syndicate.

Jabba had started as a small crime lord, but quickly spread his influence into a variety of illegal activities, including spice-smuggling, gunrunning, slavery, and sometimes outright piracy. Known for his cruelty and carnal fancies, Jabba the Hutt was powerful enough to command respect and payment from the Galaxy's ruling government, so much so that during the Clone Wars the Republic went to great lengths to avoid Jabba's displeasure. He later placed a hefty death mark on Han Solo, a former employee of his, after Solo lost a load of spice to an Imperial patrol vessel. He would finally get his revenge on Solo when the carbonite-encased Corellian was delivered to him by Boba Fett, one of the many bounty hunters Jabba was known to employ. However, this mission was Jabba's undoing, as a rescue mission and subsequent battle with Luke Skywalker and his allies resulted in the Hutt's demise at the hands of Leia Organa.

My thoughts:
He gave a us glimpse into the seedy side of the Star Wars universe. Jabba let us know that the universe wasn't all Empire and Rebellion but there was also an outlaw side to the SW universe. I think as a kid he scared me, like he was going to reach out of the TV screen and eat me or something.

"Now here's Rosanne Barr to sing the nation anthem!" - Mike Nelson

Offline CJones

« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
If the top spot is who I think it's going to be then I'm gonna be real surprised. I think it's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd be surprised if he ISN'T #1.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »
#11: Rey

97 points
7 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #6 Johnny Unusual

From wookiepedia:

Rey, a Force-sensitive human female, was a scavenger who lived on the forlorn frontier world of Jakku during the era of the New Republic until events drew her into the galactic conflict between the First Order and the Resistance in 34 ABY. Though initially unaware of her connection to the Force, Rey's powers would manifest during the waning days of the cold war, consequently leading her on the path to becoming a Jedi under the guidance of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.

Born in 15 ABY, Rey spent much of her time in solitude eking out a life as a scavenger and mechanic in the Jakku desert. Abandoned by her parents at an early age, she learned to survive without a family by scavenging various materials from the battlefield site of the last conflict in the Galactic Civil War, all the while honing her skills as a warrior and pilot. Her solitary life was interrupted, however, by the First Order and the Resistance's race to locate Skywalker—a race that led both factions to Rey's homeworld. Compelled to help the Resistance, Rey befriended the astromech droid BB-8 and a renegade stormtrooper named Finn, as well as the war veterans Han Solo and his Wookiee ally Chewbacca. She also found a nemesis in Kylo Ren, the son of Solo who fell to the dark side of the Force and became a champion of the First Order.

With her powers growing at an exponential rate, Rey completed the Resistance's search for Skywalker by tracking him to the planet Ahch-To in the Unknown Regions. Though she hoped to rediscover a living legend, especially in a time when the First Order stood poised to conquer the galaxy following the destruction of the New Republic, Rey instead found an embittered hermit who chose to live in exile after failing to prevent his nephew Ren's fall from the light side of the Force. Faced with a reluctant teacher whose final goal was to die as the last of the Jedi Order, Rey increasingly turned to Ren in whom she placed her faith as the galaxy's last hope. Through the Force-bond that bridged their minds across millions of light-years, Rey sensed the conflict within the former Ben Solo and was convinced that he could be redeemed with her help.

The bond turned to be a trap set by Ren's master, Supreme Leader Snoke, and Rey nearly paid for it with her life and that of Skywalker. In spite of Rey's hopes for Ren, even as they briefly fought side by side, he used the assassination of Snoke as an opportunity to become the new Supreme Leader of the First Order. Disillusioned by the outcome, Rey refused Ren's entreaty to forge a new order separate from the legacies of the Jedi and Sith, and became rivals once more. Shortly afterward, Skywalker sacrificed his life at the Battle of Crait, allowing Rey to deliver the Resistance from total destruction at the hands of Ren's army.

My thoughts:
The maine heroine in the new movies. I was extremely curious as to how the characters would stack up against the old ones in the list, kind of like how I wonder how Jonah's MST3k episodes will stack up against the "classic" hosts. Her story with Kylo Ren carried The Last Jedi. I think my favorite thing about Rey is her theme music. It combines mysteriousness and adventure in a rather haunting way.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/65As1V0vQDM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/65As1V0vQDM</a>

"Rather eccentric in her methods, but as an exterminator brother she is the best"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:37:39 PM by linszoid »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »
Gratuitous MST3k Reference

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7FsXqidZgG4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7FsXqidZgG4</a>

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
#10: Emperor Palpatine

120 points
7 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #2 Linszoid

From wookiepedia:

Darth Sidious, a Force-sensitive human male, was the Dark Lord of the Sith who founded the Galactic Empire after toppling its predecessor, the Galactic Republic from within. Prior to his term as Supreme Chancellor and subsequent reign as the Galactic Emperor, Sidious was born approximately eighty-four years before the Battle of Yavin and given the name Sheev Palpatine during the Age of the Republic. A native of the Mid Rim planet Naboo, Palpatine pursued a career in politics and eventually became his homeworld's representative in the Galactic Senate. Although he cultivated the persona of an honest and trustworthy public servant, Senator Palpatine was an ambitious Sith Lord who learned the ways of the dark side of the Force during his secret apprenticeship under Darth Plagueis. Following in a lineage of Dark Lords that began with Darth Bane, who reformed the Sith a millennium prior to the Fall of the Republic, Sidious spent years conspiring to restore his Order to galactic dominance. After killing his Sith Master, he trained an apprentice of his own, the Dathomirian assassin Darth Maul in accordance with the Rule of Two—Bane's decree that there should only be two Sith Lords at any given time.

In 32 BBY the Trade Federation invaded Naboo under Sidious' orders. Using the situation to his advantage, he manipulated his monarch, Queen Padmé Amidala into leading the Senate to remove Chancellor Finis Valorum from office, thereby enabling Palpatine to replace him as the next and last Supreme Chancellor of the Republic. Despite the loss of his apprentice during the Battle of Naboo, Sidious' plans proceeded apace with the aid of Maul's replacement—the fallen Jedi Master Count Dooku, who assumed the name of Darth Tyranus after turning away from the Jedi Order he once served. Together, Master and apprentice engineered a secessionist movement that tore the thousand-year democratic union asunder, leaving the galaxy divided and on the brink of war between the Republic and the newly-formed Confederacy of Independent Systems. Hence, in 22 BBY the galaxy fell into a state open war for the first time since the formation of the Republic. Having masterminded the conflict, Sidious was able to control both governments throughout the Clone Wars. Near the war's end in 19 BBY, several members of the Jedi High Council moved to arrest the Chancellor upon discovering his true identity as the Dark Lord. The attempt ultimately failed, however, due to the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, whom Sidious influenced into betraying the Jedi. Replacing the late Tyranus with Skywalker, who adopted the name of Darth Vader as Sidious' third and final apprentice, the Sith Lords initiated Order 66 and, therefore, began a systematic purge that all but annihilated the Jedi Order.

After the fall of the Jedi, the Clone Wars ended with Sidious' ascension as Emperor of the First Galactic Empire. Under the New Order program, the last vestiges of the Republic gradually disappeared. In 0 BBY the Emperor formally disbanded the Imperial Senate and would henceforth rule by delegating authority to an upper cadre of regional governors known as Moffs, such as Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. Shortly afterward, however, the Death Star—a moon-sized battle station with the capacity to obliterate entire planets—was destroyed by the Alliance to Restore the Republic in the Battle of Yavin. As the galaxy fell into another state of all-out war, known as the Galactic Civil War, the Emperor tasked his apprentice to hunt down and eradicate the Rebels, all the while constructing a second Death Star in the Endor system. Despite the challenge to his reign, Sidious grew increasingly occupied by his fascination with the Unknown Regions and, therefore, commissioned the exploration of that vast region of space. By then, Sidious also learned that Vader sired a son, Luke Skywalker, who trained to become a Jedi Knight like his father before him. Sensing an opportunity to replace his hobbled disciple with a younger and stronger pupil, Sidious tried to turn the aspiring Jedi to the dark side and even manipulated him into dueling with Vader during the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY. However, in failing to turn Skywalker from the light side of the Force, he unleashed the power of the dark side by torturing the young Jedi with a barrage of Force lightning. But the agony he inflicted on his apprentice's son caused the former Anakin Skywalker to overthrow his dark Master at the cost of his own life, resulting in the complete destruction of the Sith as foretold in the prophecy of the Chosen One.

While Sidious had been defeated, the Empire would attempt to maintain the charade of his survival, while struggling to fill the void left by his absence. But Sidious had never intended to be replaced. Prior to his demise, he created the Contingency to seemingly destroy the Empire in the event of his death, propagating the idea that Sidious believed the Empire did not deserve to survive without its Emperor. As a consequence, the Imperial remnants were further weakened and less able to resist the New Republic during the waning days of the Galactic Civil War. Ultimately, the Empire capitulated the war after the Battle of Jakku in 5 ABY, ending the era founded by Darth Sidious. Following his death, Sidious' legacy became the base of what became the First Order, a hermit state led by Supreme Leader Snoke, who was also a practitioner of the dark side of the Force. The reign of Snoke would untimely end with his death at the hands of his own apprentice and Skywalker's grandson Kylo Ren, who succeeded his master as the new Supreme Leader, desiring to let the past die along with the Jedi and the Sith.

My thoughts:
Probably one of my favorite bad guys in all film and media. I always liked the "Wizard" look in a sci-fi film. Somehow it just works so well. Watching Palpatine in the prequels also helped fuel my distrust of real life politicians.

"Be careful of your friend Palpatine"
"And your pal Friendpatine".

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »
This list is really not coming out exactly as I expected, especially with C3-PO being so highly ranked. I found him absolutely insufferable in episodes 1 and 2, which is part of the reason I completely left him off my list.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 526
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
Why would you expect the combined list to turn out like your own?
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline CJones

« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
Say what you will about the prequels, but they did a good job of setting up Palpatine, and how the Empire, and its Emperor, came to be. Ian McDiarmid had to be made to look substantially older for Return of the Jedi. But when the prequels rolled around, he was actually the right age to play Palpatine. It all just makes one wonder, how much did Lucas have planned out in advance, and how much was made up as they went along.

At least there definitely was a plan... 

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »
Why would you expect the combined list to turn out like your own?
No, not EXACTLY like my own, I just think it's puzzling how characters like Jabba, Salacious Crumb, C3PO and so on are so highly ranked above certain others. Just makes me want to go "Really? You really like this character that much?". Look, Charles it's just a matter of opinion, my opinion and it carries no more weight than anyone else's.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:40:22 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
For sure. I suspect that if you ever get more than one mind in on a topic you are probably in for a surprise, especially on a topic with as many characters as Star Wars.

Jabba? 3PO? Hell. even Salacious Crumb. Those characters have been getting major amounts of fan love for 35-40 years. I didn't put Boba Fett on my list because I, uh, don't care about Boba Fett, but I fully expected to see him high on the list.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2019, 02:36:09 PM »
#19: Grand Admiral Thrawn

65 points
4 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #3 Charles Castle
Grand Admiral Thrawn is a fantastic, and pretty remarkably (for Star Wars) fleshed out character. I loved the idea of him studying the art of various civilizations across the galaxy in order to understand their cultures, how to interact with and manipulate them. He did not rule through fear like Palpatine, but rather earned the loyalty of his subordinates.

Those novels were a really big deal for me as a teen.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:20:15 PM by Charles Castle »