login

Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 9026 times)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »
Never heard that song before. But then again I was never big on Meat Loaf.

Not to derail the topic here, but my man, you owe it to yourself to listen to the album Bat Out of Hell. It's a rock'n'roll classic, songs by Jim Steinman, the guy who wrote "Holding Out For A Hero" and whatnot (featured in Footloose and Short Circuit 2). Bat Out of Hell, and I would say the sequel album as well, two of the finest albums in rock history. But if Meat Loaf is a no-go, I recommend getting a Jim Steinman playlist going. It's better than taking your vitamins.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:12:18 PM by PsychoGoatee »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »
#16: Finn

73 points
6 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #5 Johnny Unusual

From wookiepedia:

Finn, also known as FN-2187 or Eight-Seven, was a human male stormtrooper who deserted the First Order and joined the Resistance during the new galactic war. He was born in 11 ABY and, like other troopers, conscripted into the First Order military. Though a capable soldier, he lacked the zeal for combat possessed by other members of the FN Corps. During the waning days of the cold war, FN-2187 witnessed the massacre of an entire village on the desert planet Jakku—an act carried out by his squadmates on the orders of the fallen Jedi Kylo Ren. Unable to reconcile the First Order's methods with his conscience, FN-2187 escaped from his former comrades with the help of Commander Poe Dameron, a Resistance pilot who named the stormtrooper "Finn." He planned to hide in the Outer Rim Territories, believing the First Order was unbeatable, but reluctantly became involved with Rey, Han Solo, and Chewbacca as they made their way to the Resistance base on D'Qar in order to bring the droid BB-8 to General Leia Organa. After Rey was captured by Ren on Takodana, Finn infiltrated Starkiller Base to rescue his newfound friend but was subsequently defeated in a lightsaber duel with Ren.

Although Finn recovered from his injuries, he was convinced that the Resistance fleet would be destroyed by the First Order. His second attempt at desertion was thwarted, however, by Rose Tico. As a result, Finn participated in an unsanctioned mission on Canto Bight where he and Tico recruited the codebreaker known as "DJ." They managed to infiltrate Supreme Leader Snoke's flagship, the Supremacy, but were apprehended by Captain Phasma's troops before the team could disable the vessel's hyperspace tracker. After escaping from the Dreadnought, Finn, Tico and BB-8 regrouped with their allies on Crait where the Resistance was all but destroyed by the First Order. However, Finn was among a handful of survivors who fled the battle with Rey's help.

My thoughts:
He provides much of the comedy of the first two movies and so far I'm liking his story arch. In the first movie he wants to run away with Rey. In the second he perhaps finds a reason to fight his former employer thanks in part to Rose. In the third movie: ?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:24:41 PM by linszoid »

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »
I like Finn, in general they did a good job with the new crew, part of why Episode VII went so smoothly.

Offline voix exterieur

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »
What, exactly, is Finn? A bungling stormtrooper? A Jedi? A love interest? Comic relief? Hero?

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:50 PM »
What, exactly, is Finn? A bungling stormtrooper? A Jedi? A love interest? Comic relief? Hero?

Well scratch Jedi and change bungling to disillusioned and I think you got it.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
#15: Grand Moff Tarkin

80 points
6 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #4 PyschoGoatee

From wookiepedia:

Wilhuff Tarkin was a human male who served the Galactic Republic and later the Galactic Empire. During the Clone Wars, Tarkin served as a Republic captain under Jedi Master Even Piell and was taken prisoner by the Confederacy of Independent Systems, before escaping with the help of a Jedi and clone trooper strike team. During the incident Piell was killed and Tarkin was later promoted to Admiral and served as prosecutor in the trial of Ahsoka Tano, who was framed for the bombing of the Jedi Temple hangar.

After Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine transformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire and proclaimed the Jedi as fugitives, Tarkin became the Empire's first Grand Moff, and regional Governor of the Outer Rim. With this responsibility, he was also given oversight of the Death Star which he took command over after removing Orson Krennic from the position once it was operational. He believed that fear of the battle station would keep the local systems loyal to the Empire, and used it to destroy Alderaan to showcase the station's power. The Rebel Alliance squad Rogue One, however, stole the plans to the Death Star from Scarif, and Luke Skywalker was able to destroy it during the Battle of Yavin, killing all those on board, including Tarkin.

My thoughts:
The icy evil administrator of the Death Star yet actor Peter Cushing was said to be a very nice and charming guy off camera. Carrie Fisher said it was hard to act mad at him even after he blew up her planet. They brought him back in Rogue One via CGI in an effort that almost worked in my opinion. However the tech just doesn't seem to be perfected yet.

Btw Peter/Tarkin should've taught the stormtroopers how to aim.

"Wow, he's a good Moff" - Bill Corbett
"Grand even" - Mike Nelson

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2019, 04:22:06 PM »

Also, you know people/characters can be more than one thing, right?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »
Finn is a fighter with a good heart, and I think that's probably the most apt description of him that I can come up with.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »
Tarkin was the ultimate badass villain in the original Star Wars. He didn't even hesitate to tell Vader what to do. Amazing considering he was played by Peter Cushing.

Btw Peter/Tarkin should've taught the stormtroopers how to aim.

HAahaha... nice  :D

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »
#14: Boba Fett

89 points
6 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #1 RVR II

From wookiepedia:

Boba Fett was a Mandalorian warrior and bounty hunter. He was the only unaltered clone of the famed Jango Fett, created in 32 BBY as unit A0050, one of the first of many Fett replicas designed to become part of the Grand Army of the Republic, and was raised as Jango's son. Jango taught Boba much, training him to become a skilled bounty hunter as was his father-figure before him. In 22 BBY, Jango was killed at the Battle of Geonosis, which opened the Clone Wars. Just a boy, Boba was forced to grow up and took to traveling the galaxy. Later, he became a bounty hunter and took assignments from beings such as Jabba the Hutt, and achieved notoriety despite his young age.

When the Empire was formed in 19 BBY, it was the perfect environment for Fett. During this time, he also married Sintas Vel and had a daughter named Ailyn Vel. Fett became known as the galaxy's best bounty hunter of the next several decades, often working for the Empire. He collaborated with Darth Vader on several occasions, and the Sith Lord even developed a grudging respect for Fett.

In 1 BBY, a year after the Galactic Civil War had begun, Fett was hired to kidnap the Rebel captain Juno Eclipse in order to lure out a clone of Galen Marek. Fett also participated in the Battle of Kamino. When Darth Vader was captured and about to be interrogated on Dantooine, the Mandalorian bounty hunter trailed the Rogue Shadow there.

Fett made his most notable bounty in 3 ABY, when he captured Rebel hero Han Solo, and delivered him to Jabba the Hutt. A year later, during the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon, Fett fought against the group of Rebel rescuers. He was inadvertently knocked into the mouth of the Sarlacc by Solo. Though no one in recorded history had ever escaped from the Sarlacc, Fett was able to escape, though not unscathed. Thanks to his iron will and Mandalorian armor, he was able to fight his way out of the beast's belly. Back in action, he resumed his work as a bounty hunter.

After a promise made to a dying Fenn Shysa, Fett became Mandalore and eventually led the Mandalorians through the Yuuzhan Vong War. Originally working as a mercenary for the extra-galactic invaders, Fett later aided the New Republic in their battle against the aliens. When the Yuuzhan Vong assaulted Mandalore and bombarded the planet's surface, a large deposit of Mandalorian iron was unearthed, ironically helping to strengthen the Mandalorians.

Later, during the Second Galactic Civil War, Boba, who was still leading the Mandalorians, was plagued by ailing health. He found his granddaughter, Mirta Gev, and the two went on many missions together, even alongside Han Solo. Fett also trained Solo's daughter Jaina to kill her twin brother, Darth Caedus, and assisted the Jedi Coalition in several battles. Ultimately, Fett's training helped Jaina bring down Caedus, though an Imperial nanovirus attack prevented Fett from ever returning to Mandalore.

My thoughts:
Everyone's favorite mysterious bounty hunter. I've always found it quite amazing that a character that had about 15 seconds of screen time could develop such a cult following.

"Do you need to go on a forum and enthusiate about me for a couple hours? I understand" - Bill Corbett

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2019, 07:04:06 PM »

Also, you know people/characters can be more than one thing, right?

Just ignore it - He's that weird, sad troll that likes to sign up here every so often.
FINE

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
I'd guess you have reasons for saying that from previous stuff. That particular post wasn't trolling, seemed pretty reasonable, just point of view discussion stuff. Ideally we can all get along.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
I'd guess you have reasons for saying that from previous stuff. That particular post wasn't trolling, seemed pretty reasonable, just point of view discussion stuff. Ideally we can all get along.

I'm getting a strong deja vu off this - like maybe you said the same thing one of the last times we had to ban him? - but to be clear, it wasn't this comment that got him banned, it's his repeated behaviour going back to at least 2013 (and I deleted all of his other comments this time, except this one which people had been replying to).

Starts off slow, then starts posting hateful, racist, homophobic etc garbage.
FINE

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2019, 12:59:09 AM »
Ah I see, gotcha.

Grand Moff Tarkin, one of the best characters ever. And Peter Cushing in general, so good. Love him as Frankenstein especially. And Boba Fett is pretty darn cool.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2019, 06:09:55 AM »
Peter Cushing was great as Grand Moff Tarkin. Given Darth Vader's immediate dominating presence in the first movie, it take s a lot to be able to effectively be his boss, but Cushing pulls it off.
And I may be in the minority here, but he was even a better villainous presence in Rogue One than the lame middle management guy who was the main villain. I'll take a CGI Peter Cushing over The First Order's Bill Lumbergh any day.