login

Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 8555 times)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 130
  • We are the road crew!
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »
Right on, a friend of mine really liked it too, it does look cool. I did dig Mass Effect, by the same lead writer.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3145
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
There are plenty of hardcore Star Wars fans who haven't played the games I'm sure, his main thing I gather. It'd be like if there's a cool Star Wars character in a Broadway musical. You'd have to be a musical fan who goes to shows and a Star Wars fan to really be into that character. That said, there should be one of those, would be way better than Spider-Man (though I did see that and it rocked).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lHw0-6SqecI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lHw0-6SqecI</a>

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »
#21: Poe Dameron

58 points
6 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #13 MartyS and CJones

From wookiepedia
:
Poe Dameron was a human male who served as a pilot in the New Republic and, later, the Resistance during its conflict and subsequent war with the First Order. The son of Lieutenant Shara Bey and Sergeant Kes Dameron of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Dameron followed in his late mother's footsteps in becoming a pilot, serving the New Republic Defense Fleet as the commander of Rapier Squadron, but grew disillusioned with the Republic's inaction to the First Order's violations of the Galactic Concordance. Dameron defected to the Resistance, where he became one of General Leia Organa's most trusted operatives. Dameron flew under the callsign of Black Leader while piloting his specialized T-70 X-wing starfighter, Black One.

As the conflict with the First Order grew more desperate, Dameron was sent to find Lor San Tekka on Jakku, who had part of a map to locate Organa's brother, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. Though Dameron entrusted the map to his astromech droid BB-8, he was captured by the First Order and interrogated for the location of the map, eventually being forced to hand over the information. He escaped with the help of a defecting stormtrooper, whom Dameron nicknamed Finn, and returned to the Resistance base on D'Qar on his own. He aided Finn, Rey, Han Solo, and Chewbacca with air support during the Battle of Takodana, and he later flew during the battle to destroy the superweapon known as Starkiller Base. During the battle, after the base was damaged by Solo, Finn, Rey, and Chewbacca, Dameron fired the shots that destroyed the Starkiller weapon, saving the Resistance from certain destruction.

During the subsequent evacuation of D'Qar, Dameron disobeyed orders and led an attack on the First Order Dreadnought Fulminatrix, but his reckless actions caused him to be demoted from Wing Commander to captain. As the First Order pursued the Resistance by tracking them through hyperspace to the Crait system, Dameron did not approve of the passive strategy of Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo and worked with Finn and mechanic Rose Tico to break into Supreme Leader Snoke's flagship, the Supremacy, and disable the First Order's hyperspace tracker before eventually staging a mutiny against Admiral Holdo in an effort to buy Finn and Rose time.

However, Dameron and the mutineers had not realized that Holdo's plan was to discreetly transport the Resistance to an abandoned Rebel base on the nearby planet Crait, and his group's actions caused the First Order to discover the Resistance's escape vessels and destroy many of them. Even so, General Organa gave Dameron command after Holdo sacrificed herself, and he led a last-ditch counterattack against the First Order during the Battle of Crait. The counterattack was unsuccessful, but Dameron was able to lead the surviving Resistance fighters while a Force projection of Luke Skywalker distracted Kylo Ren and the First Order, where they found their way to Rey and the Millennium Falcon, allowing them to escape.

My thoughts:
The hot shot pilot of the new movies. Although let's face it, pretty much every main character is a great pilot in the new movies. I thought Oscar Isaac does a fantastic job playing the character even if IMO Poe is thin on material. I'll also add that I like the "Black One" X-Wing paint job.

"The Resistance will not be intimidated!" - Poe
"I've always heard resistance is futile." - Mike Nelson
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:25:33 PM by linszoid »

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
Poe is a cool dude, and Oscar Isaac is one of those actors who just really had a great run lately, lots of great roles. If they kept going with any characters from this trilogy in a spin-off, I could see a Poe movie being cool.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 725
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
Darth Revan deserves a much higher spot than that. I guess he got left off a lot of lists because he's more obscure to the casual Star Wars fans.

I have two KOTOR characters on my list, Revan and another I'm surprised we haven't already seen. Mathematically he has to be on the list somewhere.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »
If you're talking about who I think you are, I'm guessing he's way up the list. He's proven popular in other polls.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »
#20: K-2S0

61 points
4 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #3 Johnny Unusual

From wookiepedia:

K-2SO (Kay-Tuesso), abbreviated K-2 (Kay-Tu or Kaytoo) or Kay, was a KX-series security droid originally created for use in the Galactic Empire's armed forces.

At some point, the droid encountered Captain Cassian Andor, a member of the resistance movement—known as the Rebel Alliance—that sought to overthrow the Empire and restore democracy to the galaxy. Andor was able to reprogram K-2SO to serve the Alliance. In 0 BBY, K-2SO participated in the Battle of Scarif, where he sacrificed himself so that Andor and Jyn Erso could steal the plans to the Empire's moon-sized battle station, the Death Star.

My thoughts:
The former imperial droid who was converted into a rebel alliance comic relief robot. His cold logic never failed to remind the heroes of the grimness of their situation.

"Ike Turner Bot 4000!"

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
I must be thinking of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
#19: Grand Admiral Thrawn

65 points
4 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #3 Charles Castle

From wookiepedia:

Mitth'raw'nuruodo, better known by his core name Thrawn (pronounced /Thräwn/), and misinterpreted as Mitthrawdo by Vicelord Siv Kav, was a male Chiss who served in the naval forces of the Galactic Empire and became the only alien Grand Admiral. Regarded by many as the best military strategist in the navy, he rose to a position of power despite the Empire's strict speciesist policies.

Thrawn began his career as an officer in the Chiss Expansionary Defense Force in the Unknown Regions, where he demonstrated his ruthless commitment to eradicating threats to the Ascendancy. These early threats included an advance force of scouts of the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong species, though at that point the Chiss knew them only as the "Far Outsiders". However, many of Thrawn's ways were contrary to that of Chiss society, which rejected offensive and preventive strikes. In 27 BBY, he first met the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, who held a secret double identity as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of the Galactic Republic, after having destroyed part of Sidious’s private task force. However, they both agreed with the threat posed by the Unknown Regions, most notably by the Far Outsiders. The two sealed their informal agreement when Thrawn destroyed the Republic exploration ship Outbound Flight lest it draw the Far Outsiders toward the Republic, killing many members of the Jedi Order in the process.

Thrawn’s continued preventive strikes led the Chiss to exile him on an uninhabited world far in the fringes of the Chiss Ascendancy. In 19 BBY, soon after Palpatine reformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire, Imperial Navy officer Voss Parck encountered Thrawn in the Unknown Regions and brought him to Emperor Palpatine. Already aware of Thrawn’s command skills, Palpatine approved his admission to the Imperial Navy. Over time, Thrawn climbed the Imperial ladder, believing that he could better defend against the the threat of the oncoming Yuuzhan Vong as an Imperial officer than if he returned to the Chiss, and circa 2 ABY became the thirteenth Grand Admiral in the Imperial Navy. The Chiss officer fought both the Rebel Alliance and rogue Imperial officers. Simultaneously, he pacified the Unknown Regions and established a secret empire of his own, believing that only a strong military government could protect the galaxy’s diverse species from annihilating each other, and to serve as a bulwark against the Yuuzhan Vong.

The Grand Admiral remained in the Unknown Regions around the time of the Battle of Endor, which saw the death of Palpatine and the subsequent breakdown of the Empire under rival warlords. He returned in 8 ABY to take control of the remaining Imperial forces and crush the New Republic, the successor state to the Alliance. Although the Grand Admiral was able to deal the New Republic several mighty blows in a massive campaign the following year, his unexpected death prevented him from destroying the fledgling government. Thrawn perished in the Battle of Bilbringi at the hand of Ruhk, his Noghri bodyguard, who had recently learned that the Empire had betrayed his people. Even though his death led to the further fragmentation of the Empire, Thrawn left behind several clones of himself and an empire still unknown to the New Republic in preparation for yet-unknown threats to the galaxy.

My thoughts:
Probably one of the most successful and well known Legends characters. Even Disney thought he was too good of a character not to use. Thrawn is not your run-of-the-mill Imperial Admiral. I first saw him in the Tie Fighter games and later in the Timothy Zahn's excellent books. Definitely an interesting character that populates the SW universe!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:28 AM »
Yay! Thrawn! Just found out that Timothy Zahn is coming to the New Mexico Comic Expo this summer. I'm debating spending way too much money to get an autograph on my dog-eared, yellowed copy of Heir to the Empire.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »
#18: HK-47

66 points
3 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #2 Pak-Man and CJones

From wookiepedia:

HK-47 was a Hunter-Killer assassin droid and Jedi hunter constructed by the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Revan, shortly after the end of the Mandalorian Wars in 3960 BBY. In the wake of widespread destruction caused by the Mass Shadow Generator, a superweapon used during the final battle of that conflict, Revan was inspired to seek more subtle methods of defeating his enemies. HK-47 was sent throughout the galaxy on his missions and successfully assassinated countless targets whom Revan had deemed threats to galactic stability and peace. However, HK-47 was badly crippled and captured on a mission in Mandalorian space shortly before Revan himself was captured by the Jedi Order.

As per protocol with Sith assassin droids prior to going on missions, HK-47's memory core was wiped of all knowledge of his original master. His memory could only be restored upon fulfilling his mission, and successfully returning to his master. As he never managed to return to his master, the automatic recall function was never activated, and he couldn’t remember Revan.[1] He went from owner to owner, many of whom he inadvertently slew personally. Eventually, he ended up on the planet Tatooine, where he was sold to and unwittingly reunited with Revan, whose memory had been erased following his capture. The droid went on to aid Revan after his return to the Jedi Order in his campaign to find and destroy the Star Forge, an ancient factory that Revan had used during his reign as the Dark Lord of the Sith. HK-47 was also instrumental in the defeat of Revan's former Sith apprentice, who had since begun utilizing the Star Forge in an attempt to conquer the Galactic Republic.

HK-47 accompanied Revan to the edge of the Unknown Regions along with Revan's utility droid, T3-M4, before being left behind in Revan's starship, the Ebon Hawk, as the redeemed Jedi Knight journeyed on to face a threat he had remembered from his time as the Dark Lord. Sometime later, HK-47 was damaged and was left aboard the Ebon Hawk, which eventually ended up in the hands of one of Revan's allies from the Mandalorian Wars, Meetra Surik, also known as the Jedi Exile. During this period, HK-50 assassin droids, a newer version of HK that G0-T0 had mass-produced, became active in the galaxy, working as bounty hunters and saboteurs. Surik repaired HK-47, who recognized her as his new master and accompanied her in order to find the source of the HK-50s, whose very existence he considered an insult to himself. HK-47 also aided Surik in her search for the Jedi Masters who survived the First Jedi Purge and even advised her on techniques to more efficiently kill Jedi so that Surik could better defend herself.

HK-47 eventually succeeded in finding the HK Manufacturing Plant, where the HK-50s were created. There, he convinced the HK-50s to join his and Surik's cause. This action eventually culminated in a final confrontation on Malachor V between HK-47, assisted by the HK-50s, and G0-T0, whose interests conflicted with that of Surik, and the latter droid was destroyed. After his time with Surik, HK-47 set out on his own to attempt to find Revan, his original master, not knowing that Revan had since been captured by the Sith Empire and was being held in stasis. Three hundred years later, HK-47 was found by a returned Revan and aided him in commanding the Rakatan Foundry, and though he was destroyed, the rogue intelligence operative known as the Shroud copied the droid and saw to it that several versions of HK-47 were active over the following years with different masters.

Four millennia later, HK-47 was found on the planet Mustafar, where his memory core was preserved within the computer of a derelict starship. HK-47 manipulated a group of spacers who discovered him, having them create a new body for him and then subsequently turning on them with the help of several battle droids. The spacers were forced to disable HK-47's new droid army as well as the factory producing them. After a fierce battle, the spacers triumphed over the droids, although HK-47 managed to escape destruction.

My thoughts:
HK-47 is probably the most quoted character in KotoR. He reminds me most of Bender in Futurama for his human hating ways. But I have a confession to make. I have an anti-droid bias for party members in RPGs, therefore I did not use HK much despite his intuitive insights on the human condition.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
I like to think that in the Star Wars universe, a lot of sentient robots pray to a statue of HK-47 each night, including IG-88.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »
#17: BB-8

68 points
5 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #7 MartyS

From wookiepedia:

BB-8, sometimes spelled and pronounced Beebee-Ate and nicknamed BB, was a BB-series astromech droid who operated approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor. It had a dome head, similar to that of R2 series astromech droids, with the bulk of its body made up of a ball on which the droid's head rolled. BB-8 was mostly white, with some silver and orange on its body, as well as a black photoreceptor. The droid belonged to Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, whom he accompanied during his flights on his T-70 X-wing starfighter.

My thoughts:
At first I thought he was just a cheap knock off of R2D2. Now I've come to appreciate that BB-8 is a very good knock off of R2D2. I can't help but root for him in any scene that he's in.

"Let's see if I can go pick up a sexy water heater"

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »
To quote Meat Loaf, BB-8 is barely #17 and barely dressed

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »
Never heard that song before. But then again I was never big on Meat Loaf.