Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 9130 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »
Salacious Crumb is like one of the top 18 most quotable characters in all of Star Wars. He made my list as well.
Not sure I can agree about a character being quotable when all they do is laugh.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2019, 12:22:18 PM »
Seems like everyone is quoting him all the time, really.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 292
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »

Except a movie theater watching Jack and Jill

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
#24: Kylo Ren

48 points
4 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #10 Linszoid

From wookiepedia:

Kylo Ren, a Force-sensitive human male, was the Supreme Leader of the First Order and Master of the Knights of Ren during the era of the Resistance. Once a promising student of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, the former Ben Solo was neither Jedi or Sith but a product of both orders' teachings. Though he embraced the dark side of the Force due to the machinations of his predecessor, Supreme Leader Snoke, Ren remained vulnerable to the pull of the light side of the Force. Nevertheless, he was determined to destroy the last remnants of the Jedi Order and also charted his own path to power, believing it was destiny to rule the galaxy.

The son of General Han Solo and Princess Leia Organa, Ben Solo was born on the Core World Chandrila, on the day the Galactic Empire surrendered to the New Republic in 5 ABY. Though he was given his father's surname, Solo was a Skywalker through his mother. He, therefore, inherited the raw strength of his maternal grandfather, Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One of the Force. As his own powers manifested in the years following the Galactic Civil War, Solo became part of a new generation of Jedi Knights trained by his maternal uncle, Luke Skywalker. Despite the potential Skywalker saw in his nephew, he also sensed darkness and grew to believe that Snoke succeeded in turning Solo to the dark side. Acting on instinct, Skywalker was prepared to end Solo's life before his future came to pass but could not follow through with the act. Solo felt betrayed, however, and reacted by burning down the training temple, resulting in the massacre of the other apprentices as well as Skywalker's self-imposed exile on the planet Ahch-To.

By severing his ties with Skywalker and the Jedi, Solo pledged his loyalty to Snoke and reemerged as Kylo Ren—the Jedi Killer, warlord and champion of the First Order, and Master of the Knights of Ren. In the waning days of the cold war, Ren oversaw the hunt for the map to Skywalker; his intention to kill the last Jedi and, therefore, complete the legacy of the fallen Sith Lord Darth Vader, his grandfather's dark side persona. This journey ultimately led to Ren's encounter with the Jakku scavenger Rey, whose own strength in the Force mirrored Ren's, and with whom he shared an unprecedented Force-bond with. They became allies as their connection grew stronger following Starkiller Base's destruction in 34 ABY, leading to the assassination of Snoke during the First Order–Resistance war. With ambition fueled by the dark side, however, Ren claimed the mantle of Supreme Leader and continued to pursue his goal of galactic domination, causing Rey to withdraw her support despite Ren entreating her to rule by his side. At this point, the New Republic had fallen; the Resistance, a group of insurgents led by Ren's mother, was decimated at the Battle of Crait; and Skywalker became one with the Force upon sacrificing his life to save the last remnants of the Resistance.

My thoughts:
Probably my favorite character of the new movies. And thus far he has the best story arc of any character in said movies IMO. That said I'm kind of surprised he was this low on the list.

"He looks like the offspring of Nic Cage and Edward Scissorhands and only inherited the worst features!"

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 530
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
Salacious Crumb is like one of the top 18 most quotable characters in all of Star Wars. He made my list as well.
Not sure I can agree about a character being quotable when all they do is laugh.
I had my tongue in my cheek there, but I've been referencing that specific laugh for 36 years or so.

Go team Salacious Crumb!
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
I love that poster of Kylo Ren. I actually love it so much I framed it and put it on my wall and it's been hanging there since 2015... I'm dead serious.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
#23: Jek Tono Porkins (the White)

54 points
3 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #1 CJones

From wookiepedia:

Jek Tono Porkins was a trader and pilot from Bestine IV who, along with the other Bestines, was forced to abandon his homeworld when the Galactic Empire chose it as the site of a new military base. Seeking the opportunity to strike back at the Empire, Porkins joined the Alliance to Restore the Republic and was assigned to Tierfon Rebel Outpost for pilot training with the Tierfon Yellow Aces. His skill at low-altitude strafing runs and his rotund physique earned him the nicknames "Belly Runner" and "Piggy." After the completion of the Empire's Death Star, the Yellow Aces were taken to fully active status and transferred to fill gaps in pilot rosters at other Rebel bases. When Porkins's good friend Wes Janson was taken ill with a case of Hesken Fever, Porkins was given his friend's assignment instead and transferred to Red Squadron, operating out of the Great Temple on Yavin 4.

Porkins soon took part in his first missions with Red Squadron, working with Biggs Darklighter, Wedge Antilles, and Cesi Eirriss to help retrieve a number of astromech droids from the smuggler Nera Dantels on Commenor. The group returned to Yavin 4 just before the arrival of the Death Star in the Yavin system, on a mission to destroy the Rebel base. Porkins flew as Red Six during the Battle of Yavin, his skills at strafing aiding the Rebels early in the battle. However, when his T-65 X-wing starfighter was struck by debris, leaving him with several mechanical and computer malfunctions, Porkins was hit by enemy turbolaser fire and killed.

My thoughts:
Mark Hamill recently stated that during the filming of the Death Star attack scene, many actors playing pilots chose to not wear pants due to a heat wave at the time. So next time you watch Porkin's valiant effort on screen, just remember that he may not be wearing pants.

"Porkins? They named the fat guy Porkins?" - Kevin Murphy

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
Max Rebo rules! That he's apparently somewhat nefarious is funny too, I would love a 4 issue comic mini-series about him, his band, and the rowdy Roadhouse style adventures they've had.

Except a movie theater watching Jack and Jill

The only scene I've watched is the Al Pacino "Dunkaccino" scene, and I've seen it many times, really well done. But he'd elevate anything.

Now, Porkins, I like Porkins, ditto Wedge, they're solid dudes. Kylo, I'm not exactly a fan, I can dig that we have fans of him here, but we're only 2/3rds through his story at least so I'll reserve judgement there.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2019, 04:27:07 PM »
Kylo is a great new character.  Driver does great with his character and it's a great movie to make him seemingly antithetical to the main baddies we've seen before and yet also perfectly representative of what the dark side is.  After all, sith are constantly tempting people just to let go of their control and that's exactly what Kylo does.  It's actually similar to Anakin's journey in the prequels in that he lashes out when things have gotten out of hand in his life, leading him down a dark path.  Except, you know, better.  I think it helps that the good guy opposing him is much more interesting: someone who discovers that she has no great lineage or purpose so decides to make her own against someone from a strong background who feels betrayed by fate and falls under the sway of a toxic individual.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
The logic of the story and the characters is one thing, but for me Kylo so far is not a great character. But everybody digs different stuff. And I don't think the revelation about Rey's parents is really that pivotal. It was more of a meta thing, it was a twist more for the audience's expectations. Rey is used to having to rely on herself, like an orphan character pretty much. In general, while of course Star Wars did it very well, relying on your parentage is a pretty ho-hum thing to me for characterization, though I do think Rey is a pretty solid character.

I can get into flawed or unlikable characters, but I myself just find Kylo is a bit of a hodgepodge at the moment. And we know they're making it up as they go, which is fine, but that's why I think the third film will be a big part in defining that character.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:49:02 PM by PsychoGoatee »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2019, 10:46:06 AM »
#22: Darth Revan

55 points
3 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #1 Russoguru

From wookiepedia:

Revan—renowned as the Revanchist, honored as the Revan, reviled as Revan the Butcher, dreaded as the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Revan, and praised as the Prodigal Knight—was a Human male who played pivotal roles as both Jedi and Sith in the Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, and Great Galactic War.

Believed to have been born around 3994 BBY in the Outer Rim Territories, the child later known as Revan was found by the Jedi Order and became apprenticed to the Jedi Master Kreia. The Padawan had an insatiable hunger for knowledge and learned everything she and many other Masters knew, quickly becoming the Jedi’s most promising pupil. Alongside his friend Malak, he became a Jedi Knight and a vocal and charismatic critic of the Order's inactivity in the ongoing Mandalorian Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders. In defiance of the Jedi Council, the Knight took upon the name Revan and started the Revanchist movement to combat the Mandalorians as the Republic Military's Supreme Commander. Revan and his forces gradually pushed back the Mandalorians, saving countless worlds at the price of devastating moral compromises and the embrace of dark side practices. On Malachor V, Revan defeated the Mandalorian leader Mandalore the Ultimate in single-combat and ordered the activation of the Mass Shadow Generator superweapon, destroying both armies and the planet but winning the war in the process.

Revan and Malak, now hailed as the greatest of heroes, vanished into the Unknown Regions investigating a mysterious Sith influence behind the war. They discovered a hidden Sith Empire and had their minds warped by the Sith Emperor Vitiate. The newly anointed Darth Revan and Darth Malak were directed to find the mystical Star Forge to escalate the Sith’s plans for invasion, but the pair broke free from Vitiate’s control and used the Star Forge for themselves, creating their own Sith Empire and a fleet of warships. Intent on unifying the galaxy to destroy the Emperor and the hidden Sith threat, they returned to the galaxy as conquers and waged war against the Jedi and the Republic in the resultant Jedi Civil War. Revan won battle after battle and many worlds, inspired by his past sacrifices, joined his cause willingly. In a desperate gamble to end the war, a Jedi strike team led by Bastila Shan ambushed Revan's fleet. The nearby and power-hungry Malak took advantage of Revan's distraction and fired aboard Revan's flagship. Revan was nearly killed, but Bastila kept him alive through the Force and took him back before the surviving Jedi for judgment.

The Jedi Council used their powers to wipe Revan’s mind and soon retrained him as a Jedi. Alongside Bastila and newfound companions, Revan was tasked to relocate the Star Forge—the source of the reigning Darth Malak’s growing powers. Revan picked up more allies and fell in love with Bastila across his journey, but they were eventually intercepted by Malak’s flagship. Malak revealed to Revan his true identity as the former Dark Lord, then captured and corrupted Bastila to the dark side. Revan escaped and, in a last stand, led the remaining Republic fleet against the Star Forge, redeemed Bastila back to the light side, and killed Malak in battle, ultimately destroying the Sith Empire he created. Again the galaxy's savior, Revan married Bastila and sank into obscurity until he began to have visions of a mysterious threat from his past and left his wife and unborn child behind in search for answers. Revan rediscovered Vitiate’s Sith Empire and, alongside his former protégé Meetra Surik, also known as the Jedi Exile, and the Sith Lord Scourge, attempted to assassinate the Emperor. However, Scourge betrayed the pair, killing Meetra and allowing Revan to be overwhelmed by the Emperor.

Revan was placed in stasis for three-hundred years, his mind probed and ravaged by the Emperor. Revan telepathically influenced Vitiate in return, stalling his invasion for centuries, then initiating a temporary armistice before total Sith victory was achieved. Revan was eventually freed by Republic forces and took control of the Foundry space station to construct an army of extermination droids against the Empire, but he was defeated and killed by an Imperial strike team before his plans came to fruition. However, the torture Revan endured had splintered his mind in two, and although his lighter half became one with the Force, the darker half rejected death and resolved to destroy the Emperor. Vitiate’s physical body had already been destroyed in battle, but his hibernating spirit lingered, so Revan planned to resurrect the Emperor to a physical form to destroy him permanently. A coalition of Imperial and Republic forces, fearing the dark Revan’s meddling would only bring untold destruction, joined together with Revan’s light side spirit and defeated him on Yavin 4. Though Vitiate reawakened and escaped to the galaxy at large, the two halves of Revan merged together in peace and died a final battle.

Revan's influence on the galaxy continued for many millennia, shaping Force ideology and military strategy. The Sith Lord Darth Bane discovered Revan's Sith Holocron and used its teachings to destroy the reigning Brotherhood of Darkness and as the philosophical foundation for the Rule of Two, paving the way for Darth Sidious and his Galactic Empire.

My thoughts:
I believe it's been mention before. But Knights of the Old Republic was one of the greatest Star Wars games of its time and is still a landmark RPG. The twist regarding Revan in the game I thought was clever and most players will probably remember forever. Also the game has Ed Asner playing a Jedi. Hopefully they make a sequel sometime.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
From wookiepedia:[/b]
Revan—renowned as the Revanchist, honored as the Revan, reviled as Revan the Butcher, dreaded as the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Revan, and praised as the Prodigal Knight—was a Human male who played pivotal roles as both Jedi and Sith in the Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, and Great Galactic War.

Wasn't he also Vigo the Butch?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
Darth Revan deserves a much higher spot than that. I guess he got left off a lot of lists because he's more obscure to the casual Star Wars fans.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
There are plenty of hardcore Star Wars fans who haven't played the games I'm sure, his main thing I gather. It'd be like if there's a cool Star Wars character in a Broadway musical. You'd have to be a musical fan who goes to shows and a Star Wars fan to really be into that character. That said, there should be one of those, would be way better than Spider-Man (though I did see that and it rocked).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
I'm disappointed more fans didn't play KOTOR, because while I was disappointed with the prequels, I found myself believing in Star Wars again simply because KOTOR was so damn good. I was thinking out loud for a LONG time "Why can't THIS be the next Star Wars movie?".