Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 8959 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »
#34: Jyn Erso

21 points
2 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #14 Johnny Unusual

From wookiepedia:

Jyn Erso was a human female soldier and former criminal who became a pivotal member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic when she led Rogue One in stealing the Death Star plans during the Battle of Scarif. She was the daughter of Lyra Erso, a devout member of the Church of the Force, and scientist Galen Erso, who was forced into helping the Galactic Empire build the Death Star. Erso's mother was killed when Director Orson Krennic, the commander of the Death Star project, kidnapped her father—who affectionately referred to his daughter as "Stardust." She was raised by resistance fighter Saw Gerrera and became a child soldier in his army.

After being abandoned by the Partisans, Erso spent several years on her own, committing a number of crimes in order to survive in a dangerous galaxy. In 0 BBY, she was recruited by the Rebel Alliance to find Gerrera on Jedha, where he had information about Galen and the Death Star project. She found a holographic recording of her father who confirmed the existence of the Death Star and that the plans kept on Scarif would reveal a fatal weakness he planted in its design. She attempted to save her father on Eadu, but he was killed. With little support from the Rebel Alliance, Jyn and Captain Cassian Andor led a squad, Rogue One, to Scarif where they stole the plans from the Imperial security complex. She transmitted the plans to the Alliance Fleet that arrived in orbit, but the Death Star soon fired on Scarif in an attempt to eliminate the Rebel threat. Erso and Andor were the last surviving members of their squad, and they died when the blast reached the complex.

Erso was remembered fondly by the Rebel leader, Mon Mothma, who believed that she would have become an even more extraordinary person if she had survived. Her sacrifice was not in vain, however. The Rebel Alliance used the plans to discover the flaw Galen built into the battle station, and the weapon was destroyed by Luke Skywalker during the Battle of Yavin, starting a chain reaction which would see the doom of the Empire.

My thoughts:
She was a very serviceable lead in Rogue One. It's a pity that she won't be in any sequels because I would've liked to have seen more depth to her character.

"What does this have to do with my father" - Jyn Erso
"This is Star Wars honey, everything has something to do with fathers" - Mike Nelson

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2019, 03:49:43 PM »
#33: Wedge Antilles

21 points
3 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #16 Linszoid

From wookiepedia:

Wedge Antilles, a Human male, was a famed Corellian pilot and general, known as a hero of the Rebel Alliance and New Republic. Orphaned at age seventeen, he joined the Rebellion after Imperial forces killed his girlfriend, Mala Tinero. A standout starfighter pilot, he was one of the few to survive the Battle of Yavin, after which he founded Rogue Squadron with his friend Luke Skywalker. Antilles and Skywalker built Rogue Squadron into a renowned unit, and after the Battle of Hoth, Antilles took command. He flew as Red Leader in the Battle of Endor, striking the blow that destroyed the second Death Star alongside Lando Calrissian and becoming the only pilot to survive both Death Star runs.

As the Rebel Alliance became the New Republic, Antilles continued to serve, gaining a reputation as a consummate soldier and the New Republic's greatest pilot. He led Rogue Squadron in a covert mission to bring down Coruscant's shields, allowing the New Republic to capture the galactic capital planet. When denied permission to remove Imperial leader Ysanne Isard from power over Thyferra, he resigned with his squadron and led a private guerrilla war that successfully toppled Isard. Accepted back into the New Republic, he formed Wraith Squadron as a commando unit and led it in operations against the Imperial Warlord Zsinj.

In 9 ABY, Antilles accepted the promotion to general that his friend, Supreme Commander Gial Ackbar, had long desired for him. As a general, he reluctantly moved out of the cockpit and into a role in fleet operations, frequently commanding the Star Dreadnought Lusankya. During a mission to the planet Adumar in 13 ABY, he ignited a romance with Iella Wessiri, a friend in whom he had been interested for several years, and married her after the mission's conclusion. They had two daughters, Syal and Myri, as Antilles became Chief of Staff of New Republic Starfighter Command and then finally returned to command Rogue Squadron in 18 ABY. In 19 ABY, after peace was achieved with the Imperial Remnant, Antilles retired with more than twenty years of service to the Alliance and New Republic, ten as a general.

When the Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy in 25 ABY, Antilles emerged from retirement, becoming the commander of New Republic Fleet Group Three. He participated in the failed defense of Coruscant, then retreated to Borleias. There he made a stand against heavy opposition for several months longer than expected and defeated the famed ex-Warmaster Czulkang Lah, inspiring hope across the New Republic that the war against the invaders could be won. In 29 ABY, Antilles was one of the commanders in the Recapture of Coruscant that ended the war.

He returned to retirement, but after being imprisoned by the Galactic Alliance, the New Republic's successor state, in the run-up to the Second Galactic Civil War, Antilles escaped. He joined the forces of his homeworld, Corellia, as it revolted against the galactic government, reluctantly taking a side against his best friend, General Tycho Celchu, and his own daughter Syal, who had become a Galactic Alliance pilot. He served as the Supreme Commander of the Corellian Defense Force, but he came to believe that the Corellian regime was itself corrupt and immoral. He resigned and instead offered his services to the New Jedi Order, led by his lifelong friend Luke Skywalker. Skywalker formed a Jedi Coalition and, with Antilles's help, destroyed the Centerpoint superweapon controlled by the Corellian Confederation, then went on to defeat the Galactic Alliance's Sith leader, Darth Caedus, and end the war. Afterward, Antilles retired for the third time, hoping to finally be able to live quietly with his family.

My thoughts:
A great example of how a relatively minor character with about 2 minutes of screen time in three movies can become a fan favorite. I can only imagine the survivor's guilt he must feel after living through several rebel Pyrrhic victories. He was also central to the Rogue Squadron books. I haven't read them in years but I remember them being some of the better Legends content.

"Wedge? He's named after a simple machine? Where's Inclined Plane or how 'bout Pulley?" - Bill Corbett
"Screw, Lever, and Axle: Get ready!" - Mike Nelson
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:51:25 PM by linszoid »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 742
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
"Wedge? He's named after a simple machine? Where's Inclined Plane or how 'bout Pulley?" - Bill Corbett

Yeah, I always liked that line  :D

Fun Fact: The Final Fantasy series has a tradition of having minor characters names Biggs and Wedge, although in some cases the translator didn't get the joke and mistranslated their names.

I believe he's the only fighter pilot to survive both assaults on the Death Star.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »

Yeah, I always liked that line  :D

Fun Fact: The Final Fantasy series has a tradition of having minor characters names Biggs and Wedge, although in some cases the translator didn't get the joke and mistranslated their names.

I believe he's the only fighter pilot to survive both assaults on the Death Star.

I'm glad someone appreciates the rifftrax lines I'm trying to find for these characters  :)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
#32: The Millenium Falcon

23 points
1 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #3 CJones

From wookiepedia:

The Millennium Falcon, original designation YT-1300 492727ZED, was a Corellian YT-1300f light freighter most famously used by the smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca during the Galactic Civil War. In the time following the Battle of Endor, Imperial turncoat Ralsius Paldora noted that every 2.2 out of 300 stormtroopers were aware of the Falcon's existence.

Its aged appearance belied numerous advanced modifications to boost the ship's speed, weapons, and shield, including a hyperdrive engine among the fastest in the entire galaxy, enabling it to outrun Imperial Star Destroyers. It included sensor-proof smuggling compartments, which were used during the rescue of Princess Leia Organa in 0 BBY to evade Imperial stormtroopers. Afterwards, the Millennium Falcon saw further action when Solo chose to join the Rebels during the Battle of Yavin, where it was able to sneak up and fire on Darth Vader's TIE Advanced, allowing Luke Skywalker to fire the proton torpedo that destroyed the Death Star.

After Han was captured on Bespin, Lando took command of the Falcon once more to search for him. In 4 ABY, Lando flew the ship at the Battle of Endor, where it entered the Death Star II and destroyed it from within. Over the next decades, the ship would fall out of Solo's hands and be stolen by a succession of criminals and thieves. It ended up back in Solo's hands in 34 ABY, after it was found on Jakku, a remote world in the Western Reaches.

My thoughts:
Ok, this entry is kind of in violation of the rules. But it's the fricken Falcon so I let it slide. This ship made light freighters look cool. Which adolescent (or adult) among us did not imagine we had a Falcon in our youth, travelling the galaxy with friends and looking for adventure.

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
Cute. Now I can theoretically go back in time and vote for the IG-2000, the Tie Defender, the Hounds Tooth, the Executioner and Slave 1.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
In the anime One Piece they count their pirate ships as characters, since in that wild world there is sort of a "spirit" of a ship, since it's so cool and beloved by the crew and whatnot. Though they only really focused on this one time, it was pretty cool.

Falcon reminds me of this fine UCB sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqPmsBYieA

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
#31: Mara Jade

23 points
2 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #13 Russoguru

From wookiepedia:

Mara Jade Skywalker was, during different times in her life, an Emperor's Hand, a smuggler, and later a Jedi Master who sat upon the Jedi High Council. She was raised as a servant and assassin to Emperor Palpatine and became a high-level Force-using operative. As an Emperor's Hand, Jade carried out the Emperor's bidding, killing Rebels and corrupt Imperials alike with cold professionalism, even as a young woman. As Palpatine's assassin, she received top-notch training from experts in a variety of fields as well as training in the Force, which was continued by Luke Skywalker years later. After Palpatine's death, she received his last command, which was to kill Luke Skywalker; however, the death of her Master caused her to go rogue. Eventually she joined smuggler chief Talon Karrde, becoming one of his best smugglers and his second-in-command. During the predations of Grand Admiral Thrawn, she was forced to work with Skywalker, and developed a grudging respect for him. During the Galactic Civil War, Mara Jade proved herself skilled in a variety of fields; she was a good pilot and mechanic and trained in the use of both a blaster and hand-to-hand combat even without relying on the Force.

Over the years, she continued to work for Karrde and interact with Skywalker intermittently, training at his Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4 for a short period of time. She was groomed by Karrde to take over the Smugglers' Alliance and had a brief relationship with Lando Calrissian as part of that role, although she later admitted it was a charade. She also continued to grow closer to Skywalker and worked alongside him on numerous occasions, including the Almanian Uprising and the Corellian Crisis. The two finally realized in 19 ABY while on a mission to Nirauan that they were in love, and wanted to spend the rest of their lives together.

After marrying Skywalker, Mara Jade took the surname Skywalker and devoted her life to the New Jedi Order, becoming a Master in her own right. Shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong War, she fell ill due to deadly coomb spores that she'd been infected with by a Yuuzhan Vong agent. She used the Force to slow their progress even as she continued to fight against the alien invaders on numerous battlefields including Dantooine and Ithor, but the disease was only purged from her system after the birth of her son Ben in 26 ABY. After becoming a Master, Jade Skywalker took her niece Jaina Solo as an apprentice until she reached Knighthood. During that time, she participated in Jedi offensives against the Yuuzhan Vong, aiding in the war effort. After the fall of Coruscant, she helped Cal Omas become elected as the Chief of State as the New Republic reorganized itself into the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances. Jade Skywalker ultimately saw her efforts against the Yuuzhan Vong rewarded in the war's final battle on Coruscant with the death of Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane.

In the following years, Jade Skywalker was active during the Dark Nest Crisis and the subsequent Swarm War, wherein she helped to thwart the expansionist plans of Raynar Thul and the insectoid Killiks who were spreading into Chiss space and subverting many other people into becoming Joiners under the influence of several Dark Jedi. Jade Skywalker was insistent that the Jedi who had joined Killik communities would be withdrawn, as they were using their skills in combat against the Chiss, provoking them. She continued to serve by the side of her husband as a Jedi Master during the Second Galactic Civil War, first serving alongside the Galactic Alliance against the rebellious Confederation. The re-emergence of the Sith Lady Lumiya was another threat that Jade Skywalker had to confront, but though she and her husband skirmished with both Lumiya and the fallen Jedi Alema Rar on multiple occasions, the darksiders escaped. As the war escalated, Jade Skywalker was killed by her nephew, Jacen Solo, whom she had learned was a Sith and therefore saw as a threat to her family personally, to the Jedi Order, and to the galaxy at large.

My thoughts:
Definitely one of the better known Legends characters. If you a Star Wars fans in the 90s you'd probably know her name. Unfortunately, I can't remember much about her. I need to go and re-read some of the Legends books sometime.

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
For me the details of Mara Jade are a little sketchy too. All I know is that she was one of the Emperor's lackey's, sent to kill Luke Skywalker and instead they fell in love and got married. If I were the Emperor I'd say "I hate when that happens.".

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »
#30: Rose Tico

25 points
2 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #12 Pak-Man

From wookiepedia:

Rose Tico was a female human who served in the Resistance as a maintenance worker during their conflict with the First Order, whom Tico had hated since she was a child. Tico's older sister, Paige, was a gunner in the Resistance.

My thoughts:
Wow that Wookiepedia introduction is short. There is a bit more in the article if anyone is interested. The whole Canto Bight sequence has gotten some flak for various reason, one of which is that it kind of went nowhere. Personally I thought it was kind of refreshing to see a protagonist's absurd plan blow up in their face. Rose herself does bring heart and compassion to the movie. Let's see where her character goes in episode 9!

*After Rose stuns Finn*
"That's roughly the method my wife uses to keep me out of the nutella" - Kevin Murphy
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:56:38 PM by linszoid »

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2019, 03:10:21 PM »
Fun character, I liked the comedy stuff she had going on with Finn and whatnot.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2019, 03:15:14 PM »
Fun character, I liked the comedy stuff she had going on with Finn and whatnot.

Apparently in the original draft Poe was supposed to go with Finn on that little adventure, but the director felt they weren't a fun pair and thus Rose was created.

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
She didn't make my list but I really liked Rose. The misogynistic and sexist creeps on FB that have a lot of negative things to say about her can all go to hell.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5175
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2019, 07:25:08 AM »
Jeez, I forgot about Rose.  Got to redo my list!

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
#29: Qui Gonn Jinn

27 points
3 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #13 Linszoid

From wookiepedia:

Qui-Gon Jinn was a human male Jedi Master who lived during the declining days of the Galactic Republic. The Coruscant-born Jedi was a controversial figure in his time, having long been a student of the Living Force who often bucked the Jedi Code and the decisions of the Jedi High Council in order to follow the will of the Force. According to his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jinn could have been a member of the High Council had he followed the Code, but he, like his own Jedi Master, Count Dooku, did not always put his faith in institutional wisdom. His studies of the Living Force helped him learn to unlock the secrets of eternal consciousness after death, giving him and the students he would later teach influence beyond death.

In 32 BBY, Jinn and Kenobi were sent by Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum to negotiate a peaceful outcome to the Trade Federation' blockade of the planet Naboo. The Federation, in league with the shadowy Sith Lord Darth Sidious, targeted them for death and forced them onto the planet, where they rescued Queen Padmé Amidala and helped her find safe refuge on Tatooine. It was there that Jinn helped orchestrate the freedom of a young slave named Anakin Skywalker, a boy who was strong in the Force and who Jinn believed was the Chosen One who would destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. Once at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, Jinn unsuccessfully lobbied for the Council to allow him to train Skywalker.

Jinn and Kenobi returned to Naboo, where they helped Queen Amidala liberate her people from the Federation. Jinn was killed in a lightsaber duel with Darth Maul, and with his dying breaths asked Kenobi to train Skywalker. His funeral was held shortly thereafter, but his studies of the Living Force allowed him to manifest his consciousness after death. During the Clone Wars, he revealed himself to Grand Master Yoda and sent Yoda on a journey so he too could learn the secrets of immortality. After the fall of the Jedi Order, Jinn guided Yoda and Kenobi in learning how to physically manifest their spirits, a feat he too was able to accomplish after first only being able to communicate as a disembodied voice. Through Jinn’s teachings, Kenobi and Yoda were able to guide Luke Skywalker even after death as he saved his father from the dark side of the Force, became a Jedi Knight, and sought to rebuild the Jedi Order.

My thoughts:
The character gave us a first glimpse at the Jedi in the Old Republic. If Disney continues to put out origin movies, a Qui Gonn movie would be on the top of my list.