Author Topic: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown  (Read 7481 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
Re: List of Crap #114: Top 50 Star Wars Characters countdown
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »
#43: Darth Maul

13 points
2 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #14 stethacantus

From wookiepedia
:
Darth Maul was a male Dathomirian Zabrak Dark Lord of the Sith who lived during the waning years of the Galactic Republic. Originally a Dathomiri Nightbrother born on Iridonia and known only as Maul, the infant Maul was given by his Nightsister mother to the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, who trained him in the ways of the dark side of the Force as his secret apprentice on a secret Mustafar training facility, along with the help of a split personality droid. Maul became a master of lightsaber combat and Teräs Käsi, wielding a red-bladed saberstaff against any adversary. Though well trained in the ways of the Sith and a Sith assassin rather than a full apprentice, Maul was technically a violation of the Rule of Two because his own Master was at the time apprenticed to another, the Muun Sith Lord Darth Plagueis. Plagueis, however, was fully aware of Maul's existence, and supported Sidious's decision to train him. The primary reason for Plagueis's support, despite the violation of the Rule of Two, was that Maul was trained to be expendable. As an assassin, he could perform high priority, boots-on-the-ground missions for the Sith without running the risk of exposing either Plagueis or Sidious should he fail.

In 33 BBY, Sidious gave Maul his first mission: to put the criminal organization Black Sun in disarray. Maul carried out this task perfectly, dealing the group a grievous blow. Maul played an instrumental role in the invasion of the planet Naboo in 32 BBY. The crisis was engineered by Darth Sidious, who lived a double life as Senator Palpatine of Naboo, to have Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum removed from office, allowing Sidious to take his place and set the stages for a government ruled by the Sith. After Padmé Amidala, queen of the Naboo, escaped the blockade, Maul was dispatched to follow her. He found her on Tatooine, where he had a short but intense duel with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, revealing the existence of the Order of the Sith Lords to the Jedi, who had thought the Sith extinct. Later, Maul was sent to Naboo, where he fought Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Though he killed the Jedi Master, Maul underestimated Kenobi’s skill and was severed in half at the waist by the Padawan. Sidious would quickly replace Maul with another powerful apprentice: the late Jinn's former Master, Dooku, who had fallen to the dark side, and whom Sidious dubbed Darth Tyranus.

Through his intense rage, Maul was able to survive and escape to the junk fields Lotho Minor, where he spent the next twelve years of his life with little to no memory of his former self. Maul kept himself mobile by manifesting a spider-like lower half, feeding off of rodents while his mental equilibrium slowly became undone. Although Darth Sidious and the Jedi Order were unaware of Maul's continued existence, the Nightsister Mother Talzin continued to keep an eye on Maul. In 20 BBY, three years into the Clone Wars, Talzin sent Maul's brother, Savage Opress, the ousted apprentice of Maul's Sith successor, on a quest to find the fractured man who dwelled in the depths of Lotho Minor. Savage successfully brought his brother back to Dathomir to undergo physical and mental reconstitution by Talzin's dark magic. Rehabilitated mentally and physically through prosthetic legs, Maul swore to reestablish his place in galactic history, starting with taking vengeance on Kenobi. Maul and Opress caught the attention of the Jedi Order by slaughtering innocents on the planet Raydonia in a successful attempt to lure Kenobi out. Maul tortured Kenobi, though the arrival of an unexpected ally, the Nightsister Asajj Ventress, gave Kenobi the time he needed to escape.

Maul and Opress soon cut a bloody swath across the Outer Rim, catching the attention of the Republic and the Jedi. On one occasion, Maul rallied the Moorjhoni clans against the Rim Mining Company. Maul and his brother then unsuccessfully tried to recruit a group of Weequay pirates from the Ohnaka Gang to their cause, a plan which was thwarted and nearly ended in the Nightbrothers' deaths following the arrival of Kenobi. Maul and his brother were found by the Mandalorian Death Watch leader Pre Vizsla and his lieutenant Bo-Katan. The two conspired to conquer Mandalore and establish a criminal empire, enlisting the aid of the Hutt Cartel, Black Sun and the Pyke Syndicate. When the New Mandalorian state on Mandalore was conquered by the new Shadow Collective, Vizsla imprisoned Maul and Opress, no longer having any use for them. Maul retaliated by dueling and finally decapitated Vizsla, declaring himself ruler of the Death Watch. Maul finished his revenge on Kenobi by killing his former lover, ousted Mandalorian Duchess Satine Kryze. However, his actions drew the attention of his former master, Darth Sidious, who killed Opress and kidnapped Maul for his own purposes.

Some time later, Maul had died, only to be resurrected in 0 BBY by three Prophets of the Dark Side for the purpose of presenting a worthier successor to Darth Sidious than his current apprentice, Darth Vader. A showdown was staged on Kalakar Six, and the two Sith Lords fought to see who would rule the galaxy alongside the Emperor. Maul came close to victory, only to be slain by Vader, whose destiny was not yet fulfilled.

My thoughts:
The Zabrak that brought us the joy of double bladed lightsabers. I wish they gave us more information about him in Episode 1 but he works well as a shadowy Sith assassin figure. Probably also acted as a metaphor for the Sith as a whole in the movie as a shadowy organization. This is also a character that takes a different path depending if you go by the canon or legends material. It can be kind of confusing.

Rifftrax does bring up a good point though. If the rest of his race looks like devils then it must be hard for them to break into certain professions. Would you buy real estate from a Zabrak? Would you trust one as a youth pastor?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:09:26 AM by linszoid »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
I wish Darth Maul had more than 2 or 3 lines. Such wasted potential. Also, do not get me started on his appearance in Solo. The guy got chopped in half and fell down a "bottomless" pit. No way in hell he survived that. You just couldn't let the guy die with some dignity?

Fun Fact: The guy who played Darth Maul, Ray Park, also played Toad in X-Men. Gotta hand it to him, the guy's versatile.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4312
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
I wish Darth Maul had more than 2 or 3 lines. Such wasted potential. Also, do not get me started on his appearance in Solo. The guy got chopped in half and fell down a "bottomless" pit. No way in hell he survived that. You just couldn't let the guy die with some dignity?

Fun Fact: The guy who played Darth Maul, Ray Park, also played Toad in X-Men. Gotta hand it to him, the guy's versatile.
Granted that's not the first time that's happened.  He popped up in Rebels like that and came back in an EU novel set just before Episode IV.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
#42: Wicket W Warrick

13 points
4 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #21 Johnny Unusual and Charles Castle

From wookiepedia:

Wicket Wystri Warrick was a male Ewok scout, warrior and later Chief of Bright Tree Village on the forest moon of Endor. The great-grandson of Erpham Warrick, Wicket was the third son of Deej and Shodu Warrick, following Weechee and Willy and was the older brother of Winda.

Wicket led an adventurous life, even from a very young age. He and his friends, namely Teebo and Princess Kneesaa, continually protected their village and the surrounding forest from those who would do them harm, such as Morag the Tulgah witch, the Duloks, and other threats from Endor and beyond. He almost even inadvertently killed Emperor Palpatine while defending the sunstar during Doctor Raygar's quest for Imperial domination.

Wicket aided the Towani family when they crash-landed on Endor and later assisted Noa Briqualon in the battle against the Sanyassans. Wicket also played an instrumental role in helping the Rebel Alliance defeat the Galactic Empire during the Battle of Endor. After the death of Chief Chirpa, Wicket and his bride, Kneesaa, ruled over Bright Tree Village together.

My thoughts:
The Ewok vs Empire battle in Return of the Jedi is supposed to represent that Spirit will triumph over Technology. Personally I loved the battle but other fans didn't like the Empire being defeated by teddy bears. I think I read somewhere that the Ewoks were originally supposed to be Wookies in RotJ but Lucas cut them in half. Also someday Rifftrax needs to do the Ewok adventure movies.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 485
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 07:26:20 PM »
The Ewoks aren't a bad race for Star Wars. They were designed... fairly well, as opposed to the Gunguns who were very poorly designed and do not fit in with the Star Wars universe at all. I mean argue whatever theory you want but it was a classic case of trying to put a round peg into a square hole.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »
The Ewoks may be annoying in how blatantly marketable and cute they are, but my biggest problem with the battle is the very idea of primitives conquering over technology in a SCIENCE fiction movie! It just doesn't work when the Ewoks are fighting alongside Han and Leia using blasters, R2-D2 and C3PO are robots, and they are aiding the Rebels who are using spaceships! And even with all of that help, the little bastards barely manage to take out Stormtroopers which have been so far shown to be incompetent.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:58:59 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
Well Wicket does even things out by hitting himself in the face.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
#41: Elan Sleazebaggano

14 points
1 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #12 stethacantus

From wookiepedia:

Elan Sleazebaggano was a male Balosar slythmonger who was present on Coruscant, the capital of the Galactic Republic, during the Separatist Crisis. In 22 BBY, shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars, Sleazebaggano was present in the Outlander Club and attempted to sell death sticks in the drinks bar to Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was searching for the Clawdite bounty hunter Zam Wesell. Kenobi used a mind trick to convince Sleazebaggano that he did not want to sell the Jedi any death sticks and instead wanted to go home and rethink his life.[1] By the time Kenobi and his Padawan Anakin Skywalker were assisting Wesell at the back of the establishment, Sleazebaggano had already left the club to go home and think over.[3]

My thoughts:
Apparently a better character than Mace Windu according to the forum LOC rules. Remember we also voted the Gammera series over the Godfather movies. He was good for a joke in AotC but I don't know what else to think. Hopefully he went home and rethought his life.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:41:51 PM by linszoid »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
Now for a musical interlude

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vuqa5U8ZL-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vuqa5U8ZL-o</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4985
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 05:44:43 AM »
I have a soft spot for the Ewoks.  I get that this was a sign that the marketability of Star Wars was becoming more blatant, but I was at just the right age to embrace them, so there you go.  Also, my family had both Ewok TV movies recorded on VHS from the TV!

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4312
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 05:54:28 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that they were inspired by the Viet Cong.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »
#41: Elan Sleazebaggano
Wow... that name is awfully subtle, am I right guys?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »
Darth Sidious, Droopy McCool, and Salacious Crumb all agree.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »
Darth Sidious, Droopy McCool, and Salacious Crumb all agree.

Okay, now I have to know...who the hell Droopy McCool?

And yeah, Lucas has many talents. Coming up with good character names isn't one of them.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
#40: Count Dooku

15 points
3 of 10 lists. Highest Rank: #13 PsychoGoatee

From wookiepedia:

Dooku, a Force-sensitive human male, was a Sith Lord who led the Confederacy of Independent Systems as Head of State during the Clone Wars. Although he was once a Jedi Master, Dooku left the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic after growing disillusioned with the corruption in the government. Turning from the light he once served as a Jedi, Dooku joined the dark side of the Force and became the apprentice of Darth Sidious, the Dark Lord of the Sith, taking on the name Darth Tyranus and reclaiming his title as the Count of Serenno. With his master, who was secretly Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, Dooku conspired to overthrow both the Republic and the Jedi so that the Sith could reclaim their former dominance. To this end, he oversaw a growing secessionist movement that ultimately resulted in the formation of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. In addition to rallying rebellious star systems to the Separatist cause, Dooku was involved in the creation of the clone troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic, having supplied the Kaminoans with the clone template, Jango Fett, as well as the inhibitor chip containing Clone Protocol 66. As a result of Dooku and Sidious's machinations, the galaxy became engulfed by the Clone Wars twenty-two years before the Battle of Yavin.

Count Dooku led the Confederacy's battle droid army throughout the war, turning star systems against the Republic through political maneuverings and military force. Though he was bound by the Sith Rule of Two, Dooku trained apprentices of his own, with the intention of one day succeeding his master. He first trained Asajj Ventress; later, after Sidious ordered him to dispose of Ventress, Dooku took on a second apprentice, Savage Opress. The tutelage was short-lived, as Opress had been used by Ventress as a tool of revenge against her former master. Toward the end of the war, Dooku took on a third apprentice, the fallen Jedi Quinlan Vos, with whom he plotted to overthrow his master. This apprenticeship, too, was cut short, as Vos was redeemed in the Force with the help of Asajj Ventress.

The final days of the war saw a battle over Coruscant. In a duel aboard the Separatist flagship Invisible Hand, Dooku was defeated by Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, who beheaded the helpless Dooku at Palpatine's command. Dooku was soon replaced as Palpatine's apprentice by Skywalker himself, who fell to the dark side and became Darth Vader. Despite Dooku's death, the plans he helped set into motion during the Clone Wars came to pass, with the destruction of the Jedi Order and the rise of the Galactic Empire.

My thoughts:
A fantastic gentleman villian played by the late great Christopher Lee. I thought he was very underused in the prequel trilogy. Of course Lucas does need to work on how he names his characters.

"Count Dooku, son of Lord and Lady Poopy."  - Mike Nelson