login

Author Topic: Submit your suggestions for List of Crap #115  (Read 500 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 254
Submit your suggestions for List of Crap #115
« on: January 30, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
IIRC it's my duty to help select the next host of LoC. So I think all of you know the drill by now. Send me a PM of the topic you wish to host. ONLY PMs will be considered as an official request. Feel free to banter around ideas in this thread about topics you'd like to see. Just remember only to PM me if you're willing to host. I'll try to set up a poll in one week.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 56
Re: Submit your suggestions for List of Crap #115
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:14:02 AM »
I am going to submit Laurel and Hardy again. Once again the goal is not to come in first in the poll, but to convert enough of you into L&H fans so when it does eventually come in first it will be by more than a few votes.  I think I may have converted a couple of members here, it would be nice to convert a lot more. I am really surprised how few of you have ever seen their films. When I was growing up, even those who said they didn't like Laurel and Hardy had seen a handful of their films on television before they reached that opinion. And I could usually change their minds by showing them a few of their shorts on VHS. Admittedly thought, back then there were less than 100 channels, four broadcast networks, only a fraction of hit films on home video, no Netflix,  no DVD, no YouTube or video of any kind on the internet ( a.k.a. Information Superhighway, ) and Nintendo was just starting to catch on in the United States after the video game market had crashed in 1983 and was pronounced dead. So maybe with all that time to kill everyone had the time to watch comedies from the 1930s. ( I dread to ask if anyone here has seen any of the Little Rascals. )

But we do live in an age of binge watching. So if there are those of you who can binge watch Friends or some other series you didn't see on it's initial run, you could easily do the same with the L&H shorts, perhaps throwing in a few of their feature films. I would highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:15:42 AM by stethacantus »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5530
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:16 AM »
I am going to submit Laurel and Hardy again. Once again the goal is not to come in first in the poll, but to convert enough of you into L&H fans so when it does eventually come in first it will be by more than a few votes.  I think I may have converted a couple of members here, it would be nice to convert a lot more. I am really surprised how few of you have ever seen their films. When I was growing up, even those who said they didn't like Laurel and Hardy had seen a handful of their films on television before they reached that opinion. And I could usually change their minds by showing them a few of their shorts on VHS. Admittedly thought, back then there were less than 100 channels, four broadcast networks, only a fraction of hit films on home video, no Netflix,  no DVD, no YouTube or video of any kind on the internet ( a.k.a. Information Superhighway, ) and Nintendo was just starting to catch on in the United States after the video game market had crashed in 1983 and was pronounced dead. So maybe with all that time to kill everyone had the time to watch comedies from the 1930s. ( I dread to ask if anyone here has seen any of the Little Rascals. )

But we do live in an age of binge watching. So if there are those of you who can binge watch Friends or some other series you didn't see on it's initial run, you could easily do the same with the L&H shorts, perhaps throwing in a few of their feature films. I would highly recommend it.
I am just going through my big DVD set of Laurel and Hardy, so I will definitely submit a list if you win the poll.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
I actually did watch some L&H this past month or so. Pretty funny but I don't know if I could come up with a list of 50.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5530
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »
I actually did watch some L&H this past month or so. Pretty funny but I don't know if I could come up with a list of 50.
You mean list of 25. And you can submit a partial list of less than that.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 56
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »
For a Laurel and Hardy LoC, I think it would be much better off if you had a lot of newbies who have only seen about 25 to 40 of their films which they picked out at random. Those of us who have seen every single film they made ( except for Hats Off, Rogue Song and reel one of And Now I'll Tell One ) would know what their strongest films were and submit the same 25 ( give or take a couple ) resulting in a 50 list with less than 30 films submitted. Newbies haven't seen all their best and are bound to submit a lot of their lesser films. Or even a list with one of the FOX films, which would be hilarious, because the die hard fans would list the FOX films dead last.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 287
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:57:24 PM »
Ok Sketchfest took me into a vortex of comedy planning, but I'm back and eager to get in on this next list o'crap. Not sure I could do L&H films, though. It would be a stretch for me to pick even ten. But maybe a comedy teams LOC if we haven't already?
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:02:46 PM »
I still want to see a top 50 rifftrax but I don't think I have it in me to host again so soon.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 644
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 07:14:41 PM »
I'd also like to see Top 50 Rifftrax. I'm astounded we still haven't done it.

I submitted Top 50 Indie Games.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4893
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 06:46:33 AM »

We have done it but it was a LONG time ago, so yeah, we are due for a redo.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 425
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 01:46:25 PM »
Question: is this for movies only or can stuff like Shorts/TV shows be included?

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
Question: is this for movies only or can stuff like Shorts/TV shows be included?

Depends on the host?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 425
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »
Host, please let me know the answer at your earliest convenience.

Depends on the host?

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
So far there no hosts for it this cycle.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
So there's about a day left to submit your entries. I'm going to try to get a poll setup tomorrow after I get off work. So try to submit by about 4pm EST.

I've got 5 nominations so far.