Author Topic: MST3K- Season 12- The Gauntlet- Thread for Spoilers  (Read 1722 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 257
MST3K- Season 12- The Gauntlet- Thread for Spoilers
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
Starting the topic to discuss em once we have em...and I guess have a couple of minor spoilers just from reading a couple of reviews.
-Host segments with the Mads, Jonah, and the bots only take place at the beginning and end of each episodes.
-Riffs allegedly start out in the beginning of the first episode fast and furious like Season 11, but then slow down to a more normal pre-season 11 pace for the rest of The Gauntlet.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2622
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: MST3K- Season 12- The Gauntlet- Thread for Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
I'll just move it into the new season 12 section ;)
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2622
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 04:44:37 AM »
They name the entire run of movies in the first ep, so I guess we don’t need to spoiler the titles for long.
FINE

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 257
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
Starting the topic to discuss em once we have em...and I guess have a couple of minor spoilers just from reading a couple of reviews.
-Host segments with the Mads, Jonah, and the bots only take place at the beginning and end of each episodes.
Well, the review I read that said that was totally wrong and I'm glad they were.
Just starting the last episode and I'm enjoying Season 12 a lot more than Season 11- it's still not quite up the level when the show was at it's best, but it's much improved- similar jump in improvements we saw from Season 1 to Season 2.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3157
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
So only 2 episodes in, so maybe this is explained later on, but I've noticed M. Waverly quietly skulking around in the theater and heading about where the "payload" is just a little bit before Gypsy shows up to pick it up. I don't know if we'll get answers, and I don't know if there ARE answers, but I kind of love these little nuggets.

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »
I won't spoil much, but I will say that a certain old MST3K character that no one has seen or seen coming returns in this season. But I will let you folks figured that one out. No spoiler sign from me.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 727
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:23:18 AM »
So only 2 episodes in, so maybe this is explained later on, but I've noticed M. Waverly quietly skulking around in the theater and heading about where the "payload" is just a little bit before Gypsy shows up to pick it up. I don't know if we'll get answers, and I don't know if there ARE answers, but I kind of love these little nuggets.

He even has lines. Though to be honest, I only realized it was him talking because his mouth was moving.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1521
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
Just finished!  Enjoyed the entire season.  Loved it.  Thought the pacing was better than season 11, to the point where I didn't notice it being an issue at all.  Favorite episode was probably Mac and Me though.  Great stuff overall.  I hope they get a season 13.  I think this 6 episode format worked really well, and feels like it could be sustainable. 

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 01:49:46 AM »
Yep, the production of this season is so much better. I'd prefer the episodes be longer, but if it's the sort of change they need to do to get season 13 coming, then bring it on.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
Finished The Gauntlet (at a casual pace)! Loved the new season. Some were better than others, but there wasn't a weak episode in the whole bunch. Mac and Me gave us a pretty nice catch phrase that will probably stand the test of time along with "It stinks!" and "We like it very much!" I kind of like that Growler and M. Waverly didn't get discarded as one-off jokes and even got to pitch out a riff or two. I'm going to be revisiting these episodes for sure. Maybe all at once if I can find a way to work it around the whole parenthood thing.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 05:12:35 AM »
Just finished the Gauntlet. LOVED the season! The riffing seemed more natural this time around. My favorite episode of the season would be 1204: The Day Time Ended. Here's hoping they get renewed for a season 13!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5685
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
I loved the whole season. And I am very interested to know where they are taking the ending with Kinga and Max in their own theater. I don't really mind that they glossed over the cliffhanger with Jonah from last season, as that itself is the joke. But that kind of joke only works ONCE. If they do it again I will be pissed!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
More overall impressions, now that there's been a couple seasons for it to all sink in:

Jonah's an awesome riffer. He's super-likable, and he's able to inject a certain comedic urgency to certain riffs that cracks me up. (Such as the great, "It wasn't supposed to be like this" bit at the end of Mac and Me.)

New-Crow is nearly indistinguishable from Trace-Crow. I have an ear for voices, and even I forget I'm listening to someone new.

New Servo is a bit more of an adjustment. The voice is almost like Josh's Tom, but with Kevin's snarky-radio-DJ inflection. It borders on trying too hard, but I'm starting to feel like it's on the right side of the border. I can also totally see how some people are put-off by it.

I'm 100% on-board with the current Mads. With Clayton, the experiment was EVERYTHING and with Pearl it was about revenge. Kinga's brand of evil is a lot more driven by attention-seeking.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5685
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 11:14:37 AM »
I'm with you, Pak. I like everybody in this new iteration.
I do wish Tom was as brash as he used to be, and I really miss his tendency to break down crying.

I hope that Clayton and TVs Frank being dead isn't meant to close the door on cameos by Trace and Frank later on.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5122
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
Hey, Frank already reappeared as a ghost once...