Author Topic: List of Crap #113: Top 50 Star Trek Episodes Countdown  (Read 11922 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: List of Crap #113: Top 50 Star Trek Episodes Countdown
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 01:14:55 AM »
DS9 is probably the darkest most brutal of the series. The tone reminds me of M*A*S*H; there's humorous stuff, there's dark stuff, and the spectre of war hovering over it all. It's perfect.
I agree that it was the darkest of the series though never compared it to a show like M*A*S*H, but then again I never really watched the show much back in the day.. :-\
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:19:00 AM by RVR II »

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 01:49:43 AM »
47A
Sins of the Father
Series:  The Next Generation

20 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank: #6 by RVR II

Details

As part of the Federation-Klingon officer exchange program, Klingon Commander Kurn has requested to be placed aboard the Enterprise as first officer. His typical Klingon-styled command style aggravates the crew, particularly Lieutenant Worf. Worf confronts Kurn alone, where Kurn reveals he is Worf's younger brother; when the rest of Worf's family left to the Khitomer colony, he was left with Lorgh, a friend of their father Mogh. Kurn was raised as Lorgh's son, unaware until recently of his relation to Worf. Kurn tells Worf that Mogh is being charged posthumously as a traitor by Duras, the son of Mogh's rival, in the Khitomer massacre, which will mar the Mogh family name for generations. Worf requests an urgent leave of absence to defend his father's honor. Picard believes that Worf's actions as a Starfleet officer in his father's defense will be of significant interest to the Federation and directs the Enterprise to the Klingon homeworld so they may monitor the events. En route, Kurn volunteers to be Worf's Cha'DIch, a second to stand with Worf during the challenge. Worf agrees, but warns Kurn to not reveal his bloodline just yet.

At the High Council, Duras reveals evidence of Mogh sending Khitomer's defense codes to the Romulans. Worf challenges this, but is told privately by the aging K'mpec, the Klingon Chancellor, to drop the challenge and return to the Federation. Worf discusses this curious request with Picard, who also finds it strange and orders his crew to examine the evidence. Meanwhile, Duras has ambushed Kurn, aware of his Mogh bloodline, and attempts to get him to betray Worf. Kurn refuses and is seriously wounded, no longer able to support Worf in front of the Council. Picard accepts Worf's request to take Kurn's place.

The Enterprise crew finds evidence that the Khitomer logs have been modified and soon discover one more survivor of the massacre, Worf's nurse Kahlest. Picard is able to convince Kahlest, who knows Mogh was loyal to the Klingon Empire but does not know who the true traitor was, to help in Worf's challenge. Picard brings Kahlest to court and bluffs that she knows who the true traitor was, starting a heated dispute that is sure to end in needless bloodshed. Infuriated and as a means to halt the bickering, K'mpec calls Worf, Picard, Duras, and Kahlest into his private quarters and reveals the truth; the Council is well aware that Duras' father was the Khitomer traitor, but exposure of this, given Duras' high political position and capital, would certainly lead to an unwanted civil war within the already trouble-stricken Empire. The Council only accepted Duras' charge of treason against Mogh believing that Worf would not challenge it for this reason and this reason only. To prevent further upheaval, K'mpec imparts that the Council will condemn Worf and Kurn, but Picard refuses to let this blatant injustice stand, thus creating a situation that could end the Klingon-Federation alliance. Worf, seeing what restoring his family's honor may cost, steps in and says he understands what he needs to do, that the only course of action for Worf is to accept a discommendation, tantamount to admitting his father's guilt; in exchange, the knowledge of the proceedings, including Kurn's true-bloodedness, will be undisclosed. Back in the council, all of the assembled Klingons, including a reluctant Kurn, ceremoniously turn their back to Worf in his disgrace, and he and Picard silently leave the hall.

Personal Thoughts

I don't really remember this episode.  I'm not a fan of Klingon episodes.  They all seem like such a bunch of tribalistic savage idiots that it's hard to imagine them ever discovering warp drive.  Their obsession with honor and battle gets a little tiresome.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 01:55:28 AM »
A great episode to start the lead up to the Klingon civil war.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 02:16:54 AM »
46D
Equinox
Series:  Voyager

21 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank:   #5 by Lesbunny

Details

USS Voyager's crew is surprised to receive an emergency hail from another Federation starship, the Equinox, in the Delta Quadrant. They arrive to find the damaged ship under attack by nucleogenic lifeforms. Under advice from the Equinox captain, Rudy Ransom, Captain Kathryn Janeway has Voyager extend its shields around both ships, quelling the attack, though the creatures continue to bear down on the shields, weakening them over time.

Janeway and Ransom discuss how both their ships had been pulled into the Delta Quadrant, five years earlier, by The Caretaker. Ransom shares that they found a wormhole and made enhancements to their warp engines, explaining how this allowed the smaller (with a crew of 80) and slower (warp 8) Nova-class Equinox to travel the same 40,000 light years as Voyager on its return to Earth.

While salvaging, the Voyager crew finds an area of the ship they cannot access due to intentional overrides by the Equinox crew. Janeway sends the holographic Doctor to the area, where he finds the Equinox crew has been harvesting bio-energy from the nucleogenic creatures, slaughtering dozens of creatures just to enhance their warp drive, traversing 10,000 light years in two weeks.

The Equinox crew, knowing they can reach Earth within weeks (while using more murdered creatures) if they ditch Voyager, steal a shield generator from Voyager and escape, having captured Seven of Nine along the way. Voyager, unable to raise shields, suddenly finds itself under attack from the angry nucleogenic creatures.

Seven has encrypted the codes accessing the Equinox warp controls, delaying their plan to murder another 63 aliens for fuel. After learning the Doctor in their sickbay is from Voyager, and erasing his ethical sub-routines as they did with their EMH, they tell him to probe Seven's mind to obtain the codes, despite the fact this may permanently incapacitate her. During his examination, he sings "Oh My Darling, Clementine" with the partially unconscious Seven, much dismaying Ransom as it seems to make his probing go more slowly.

Janeway starts taking the objective of stopping Ransom to the extremes when she orders torpedoes to be fired on the Equinox, nearly kills an Equinox crew member during an interrogation, tractor beams an Ankari ship, and relieves Chakotay from command when he questions her orders.

Ransom starts to realize the error of his ways and orders the crew to return the Equinox to Voyager, but the remaining crew, except for Ensign Marla Gilmore, attempt to mutiny against this. With Gilmore's help, Ransom transports part of the crew, as well as the Doctor and Seven, back to Voyager, while the remaining mutineers are killed by the aliens. After transporting Gilmore to Voyager, Ransom stays behind, sacrificing himself to the nucleogenic creatures while moving the ship far enough away from Voyager to protect it from the resulting explosion.

As Voyager resumes its journey home, Janeway reinstates Chakotay to Commander and strips the five surviving Equinox crew members of their ranks while integrating them with the rest of her crew. Seven promises to help the Doctor secure his ethical sub-routines from being deleted in the future.

Personal Thoughts

I kind of hated this episode.  Janeway is such a sanctimonious bastard.  I kind of think that Captain Ransom using the nucleogenic aliens to survive was not nearly as awful as Janeway's colluding with the Borg for her survival.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 03:26:46 AM »
I don't really remember this episode.  I'm not a fan of Klingon episodes.  They all seem like such a bunch of tribalistic savage idiots that it's hard to imagine them ever discovering warp drive.  Their obsession with honor and battle gets a little tiresome.

See, I disagree.  I find the Klingon episodes are among the most engaging.  In the original series, they were basically code for "Chinese/Russian/exotic communist".  During TNG, a lot more nuance is thrown into what was once mostly also-ran villains.  Their honor and battle focused culture is, during the series, shown as both often stagnating and limiting, but also presents it as having value.  Specifically, the episodes about Klingon politics and Worf's long-standing mission to prove his father's innocence is among my favourite recurring arcs.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
Going back to Spectre of the gun for a moment... I remember one instance in the episode where I was completely taken out of the world of Star Trek. There was a moment where you could see the shadow of a tree... AGAINST THE SKY.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
If it was in this episode, that doesn't bother me.  The wild west world of "Spectre of the Gun is supposed to look weird and fakey.  It's a great choice and helps make the characters feel completely boxed in by the situation and by the set.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »
46C
This Side of Paradise
Series:  The Original Series

21 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank:   #5 by George 2.0

Details

Enterprise is ordered to a Federation colony on Omicron Ceti III. Shortly after the colony was founded some years before, it was discovered the planet was bathed in Berthold rays, a lethal form of radiation. The colonists are now presumed dead.

Captain Kirk, First Officer Spock, Chief Medical Officer Leonard McCoy, and others beam down to the colony, and are surprised to find the colonists all alive and well. Their leader, Elias Sandoval, welcomes them and explains they only lost communications due to equipment failure. Also present is Leila Kalomi, an acquaintance of Spock's. Kirk orders the landing party to explore the colony. They notice the lack of animal life including livestock brought to the colony. Sandoval and other colonists allow McCoy to examine them. McCoy finds no sign of disease or injury in any of them: even Sandoval, who has had an appendectomy, now has a healthy appendix.

Kalomi offers to show Spock how the colonists have survived, and takes him to a field of strange flowers. The flowers expel spores that cover Spock, after which he professes his love for Kalomi, and blithely disregards orders to begin the evacuation of the colony. The rest of the landing party are also exposed to the spores and, with the exception of Kirk, exhibit the same sort of behavior. It is eventually revealed that the spores, in addition to this tranquilizing effect, also provide perfect health including protection from Berthold rays.

Kirk returns to the ship while the rest of its crew, under the influence of spore plants that have been brought on board, are beginning to abandon the ship. Lt. Uhura has sabotaged the communication system to prevent contact with Starfleet. Kirk is soon the last one aboard, and after a second exposure to the spores, he too prepares to leave, but as he is about to beam down, he is seized by a sudden anger. The effect of the spores seems to disappear, and Kirk surmises that violent emotions somehow destroy them. Kirk lures Spock back aboard Enterprise and goads him into attacking Kirk. As Spock is about to bludgeon Kirk with a stool, he notices that the spores' influence on him is gone.

Kirk and Spock begin work on a means to induce a similar effect on the planet below by broadcasting an irritating subsonic frequency to the crew's communicators. Kalomi beams aboard to find Spock no longer affected by the spores, and her heartbroken reaction frees her also. The subsonic broadcast is successful, provoking fights among the colonists and crew, followed by calls to the Enterprise.

As they leave orbit with the colonists aboard, Kirk asks Spock about his experiences on the planet – to which Spock replies that for the first time in his life, he was happy.

Personal Thoughts

Never seen it.  I've never been much of a fan of TOS.  It felt bogged down by its low production values.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
46C
This Side of Paradise
Series:  The Original Series

21 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank:   #5 by George 2.0

This is the episode that MST admitted to misquoting. They did a skit based on it in Swamp Diamonds.

There are no creepy monsters or aliens here, but that’s okay. Because the humor and warmth and sadness found in this character piece makes it one of my favorites of the first season.  (second only to one other)

I love it primarily for the relationship between Spock and old flame, Leila, played by Jill Ireland. Jill has natural, outdoorsy beauty and an easy charm that serves the story well. She and Nimoy are so good together and their inevitable end is truly heartbreaking. When Spock speaks to her of self-made purgatories (one of several great lines of dialog in the script) it put a lump in my throat.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:21:45 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
As much as I loved This side of Paradise, it didn't quite make my list(Although I must admit it came close when I created my list)

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 03:56:55 PM »
46B
Regeneration
Series:  Enterprise

21 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank:   #5 by Pastor of Muppets

Details
A team of researchers discover remains of a crashed spaceship in the Arctic Circle, finding several humanoids with cybernetic implants frozen in the wreckage. Two bodies are taken to a nearby compound to be studied. The scientists marvel at the nanoprobes that begin to repair the long dead aliens. Suddenly one of the seemingly dead subjects attacks the scientists, assimilating them. Using scavenged wreckage to enhance the transport, they then escape into space, upgrading it with a faster than standard warp drive and weapons.

Admiral Forrest orders Enterprise to rescue the "kidnapped" researchers. They soon receive a distress call from a Tarkalean freighter, and they arrive to discover the ship under attack from the enhanced transport. Captain Jonathan Archer tries to disable their weapons, but the ship jumps to warp speed. Archer brings the survivors to Sickbay, and finds their situation reminiscent of a Zefram Cochrane story he remembers (relating to first contact). The assimilated crew soon awaken, and in the ensuing melee Doctor Phlox is infected with nanoprobes. They escape, and Lieutenant Reed then finds them modifying ship's systems, and learns their phase pistols are ineffective. Archer, left with no other options, orders the section to be de-pressurized. Reed then begins upgrading the pistols, while Phlox treats himself with "omicron radiation" to destroy the nanoprobes.

Enterprise again catches up with the transport, but the recent modifications suddenly activate and shut down weapons and propulsion. Soon after the aliens hail Enterprise and say, "You will be assimilated, resistance is futile". In response, Archer and Reed board the ship with upgraded pistols, plant explosives, and beam out. Commander Tucker troubleshoots the alien modifications thereby restoring main power to Enterprise. With the transport crippled, Archer realizes the altered crew members are too far gone and orders the transport's destruction. Later, a recovering Phlox informs Archer that while infected he kept hearing a repeating numerical sequence - Earth's coordinates sent somewhere into the Delta Quadrant. Sub-Commander T'Pol states it would take almost 200 years to reach its destination, but Archer remains troubled.

Personal Thoughts

Obviously I enjoyed this episode.  It goes back to my love of Borg.  It was interesting to see Earth's earliest interaction with The Borg, and the callback to First Contact.  I liked the part where Captain Archer made the decision, with little hesitation, to destroy the infested transport ship.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »
46A
Reunion
Series:  The Next Generation

21 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank:   #5 by RVR II

Details

The starship Enterprise is met by a Klingon Vor'cha class battlecruiser, and Ambassador K'Ehleyr (Suzie Plakson) requests to speak to Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) on an "urgent matter". When she beams aboard, she brings a young Klingon boy (Jon Paul Steuer); based on his previous romantic experience with K'Ehleyr, Lt. Worf (Michael Dorn) suspects the child is his son. K'Ehleyr warns the senior staff of a power struggle occurring within the Klingon Empire and implores Picard to meet Chancellor K'mpec (Charles Cooper) aboard the battlecruiser. On the Klingon ship, K'mpec acknowledges that he has been poisoned and is slowly dying, and insists that Picard become the Arbiter of Succession and identify his assassin. K'mpec dies shortly afterward. In a private moment, K'Ehleyr confirms to Worf that the Klingon boy is his son, Alexander, and she did not tell Worf for fear he would try to have a deeper relationship with her; Worf, already burdened by his discommendation, fears for Alexander's future, given the stigma of his family name.

The two challengers for leadership of the council, Gowron (Robert O'Reilly) and Duras (Patrick Massett), arrive for the Rites of Succession. Worf still harbors hatred for Duras, who had (falsely) revealed Worf's father, Mogh, as a traitor in the Khitomer massacre and stained Worf's family name. Both Gowron and Duras attempt to quickly end the proceeding, but a small explosion erupts in the assembly hall. Picard and K'Ehleyr are safe but decide to draw out the Rites using an archaic ceremony while the Enterprise crew perform a forensic analysis on the explosion. Though both resent the longer form, Gowron and Duras have little choice but to agree to continue the Rites.

The Enterprise crew discover that the explosion came from a Romulan bomb worn by one of Duras's guards. K'Ehleyr, aboard the Enterprise, has become intrigued and tries to find out why Worf was discommended. She accesses the Klingon records, and comes across evidence of Duras's father being the true traitor in the Khitomer massacre. Duras, notified of K'Ehleyr's access to the records, transports aboard the Enterprise and mortally wounds her. Worf soon discovers K'Ehleyr, dying, just in time for her to reveal that Duras is her killer; then she has Worf promise to look after Alexander. Returning to his quarters, Worf grabs a bat'leth, leaves his combadge behind, and transports to Duras's ship. There he challenges Duras to the Right of Vengeance. Initially, Duras rebuffs Worf (claiming "You have no rights here, traitor!"), but Worf points out that K'Ehleyr was his mate; since even discommendated Klingons may claim vengeance for a loved one's death, Duras accepts Worf's challenge. Worf easily gains the upper hand, but Duras taunts him - if Worf kills Duras, Worf can never regain his honor. Worf nonetheless strikes the killing blow. With Duras dead and no other challengers present, Gowron is named Chancellor of the Empire.

After the Klingons leave, Picard takes Worf to task for killing Duras. Though Worf defends his actions as valid under Klingon law (as does the Klingon government), Picard reminds him he is first of all a Starfleet officer and places a formal reprimand on Worf's record. Worf and Alexander mourn their loss, and Worf places the boy in the care of his own adoptive parents, Sergey and Helena Rozhenko.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Another classic Worf  episode making history by eliminating Durass from reaching the leadership of the Klingon High Council  :o

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 08:44:34 PM »
Okay that's it for now!  Countdown to resume Sunday afternoon.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2018, 03:46:17 AM »
Okay that's it for now!  Countdown to resume Sunday afternoon.
Understood. Thanks again for hosting this and have a Happy Turkey Day :cheers: