Author Topic: List of Crap #113: Top 50 Star Trek Episodes Countdown  (Read 11911 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: List of Crap #113: Top 50 Star Trek Episodes Countdown
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
I'm interested to see if any Enterprise or Discovery make the list, though. Enterprise seems to be remembered poorly, and Discovery is still in the finding itself phase that all sci-fi TV shows seem to go through for the first couple of seasons.

I doubt I will ever watch Discovery, everything I read about it makes me think it would be a waste of my time. 

I liked Enterprise, never thought it was as bad as people said, but while comparing the episodes I liked the most from that series to all the others they did fall way down on my big list.  For the shortest running series it had a few that made my top 70, not bad out of 740+ total episodes of Trek.

There are a few sci-fi shows that hit the ground running, Stargate SG1 was pretty darn good right out of the gate.  Maybe also Babylon 5, that was pretty consistent from the start.  All the Star Trek series other than TOS did have fairly weak first seasons.  TOS was backwards, first 2 seasons were great and then NBC wanted it gone so season 3 was terrible.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
I can guarantee there will be at least one Enterprise episode, because I had one at #3. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
I've mentioned this before that TNG & DS9 are my favorite Star Trek series. The original series was good and Voyager I'll watch from time to time but Enterprise just didn't catch my attention.
Discovery I only watched the premier and didn't catch my attention much either :-\

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
I'll get around to watching Discovery one day but I think it's gonna be a long long time... What? Were Elton John fans expecting something more?

Anyway I liked Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast. The DS9 episodes with Garak are always really good.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 01:53:53 PM »
Spectre of the Gun
Series:  The Original Series

19 Points
2 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank: #9 by Stethacantus

Details

The Federation starship USS Enterprise has been directed to make contact with a reclusive species known as the Melkotians.

As they approach the Melkotians' planet, they encounter a buoy sending a telepathic warning signal to stay away, but Captain James T. Kirk orders the ship to remain on course. Once in orbit, Kirk joins First Officer Spock, Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Leonard McCoy, and Navigator Ensign Pavel Chekov as they transport to the surface.

They are met by a Melkotian representative who declares that they have been summarily condemned to death for trespassing. The landing party then find themselves in an abstract landscape that resembles a wild West town, though many buildings are only facades. Further, they find their phasers have been changed into six-shooters, and they cannot contact the Enterprise.

Exploring the town, they find a newspaper dated October 26, 1881, the date of the infamous gunfight at the O.K. Corral. The townspeople believe the landing party are members of the Cowboys: Kirk as Ike Clanton, Scotty as Billy Clanton, Bones as Tom McLaury, Spock as Frank McLaury, and Chekov as Billy Claiborne. Further, the Earp brothers, lawmen Virgil, Wyatt and Morgan Earp, and Doc Holliday are preparing to fight them at the appointed time.
Knowing that in real history, the gunfight was fatal to most of the Cowboys, the Enterprise crew make several attempts to alter their fates, but their efforts are unsuccessful. Further, when one of the townspeople, Sylvia, gets close to Chekov, Morgan Earp interferes and kills Chekov.

Kirk is angered at the loss, but Spock reminds him that the real Billy Claiborne had survived, suggesting that the day's events could be changed in other ways. To put this idea to the test, Spock creates an improvised tranquilizer gas grenade to subdue the Earps before the shootout, and is surprised when the gas fails to work.

The time of the shootout arrives and the landing party suddenly finds itself at the O.K. Corral, with the Earps approaching. Spock realizes from the failure of the gas grenade that these events are not real, and that as long as they are convinced of that they cannot be harmed. Kirk has Spock mind-meld with the rest of the team to imbue them with Spock's conviction, allowing them to survive the Earp's gunfire.

Kirk chooses not to shoot Morgan Earp in revenge for the apparent death of Chekov, and discards his weapon. They then find themselves, along with a still-living Chekov, on the Enterprise bridge, apparently at a time before the appearance of the Melkotian buoy. The Melkotians make contact, inquire about Kirk's refusal to kill, and finally welcome the Enterprise to approach their planet.

Personal Thoughts

Never seen this.  I've only ever seen two episodes of the original series.  It sounds like a Western, which sounds like another negative in my book.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »
47C
The Thaw
Series:  Voyager

20 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank: #6 by Lesbunny

Details

The crew attempts to rescue three aliens in stasis from a bizarre computer program that is based on fear.

Voyager discovers a planet that was the site of a recent major ecological disaster. The crew finds a set of stasis pods containing five of the aliens; two are dead from heart attacks, and of the other three, they should have been released four years ago from stasis. As the planet has recovered from the disaster, Captain Kathryn Janeway decides to release the other three, but the crew find it impossible to wake them, their brains tied to a central computer connecting all the pods. B'Elanna Torres and Harry Kim volunteer to occupy the other pods and be connected to the central computer.

They find themselves experiencing a virtual reality, a strange, dark circus-like atmosphere. A clown appears to lead the group of computer-generated characters, attempting to bring the new arrivals to play. When they refuse, the clown drags Kim to a guillotine and prepares to sever his head, but the three aliens soon appear, warning the clown that should they kill Kim, his crew mates will likely shut down the program. The clown agrees, and lets Kim go. On talking to the aliens, Torres and Kim learn that the virtual reality the computer is generating is pulling from their fears, is able to read their thoughts, and is able to induce death of the living person. Torres is able to make a deal with the clown to return out of stasis to explain the situation to Voyager, leaving Kim and the three aliens behind as hostages.

The clown, while waiting, starts to torture Kim by playing on his fear of hospitals. At one point, Kim is placed on a gurney with the clown about to slice him with a scalpel when his hand is stopped by The Doctor. The clown is bemused by the Doctor, as he cannot read his mind. The Doctor explains that Janeway has offered to provide the clown a simulated brain in exchange for Kim and the aliens. However, the clown reads the minds of his captives, who are aware that the simulated brain will not be the same as a real one, and the clown refuses. Before the Doctor returns to report to Janeway, one of the aliens provides a subtle hint of how to dismantle the computer system.

With this information, Torres begins to dismantle the simulation, the Doctor returning to keep the clown distracted. The clown discovers the deception as elements of his program are removed, and he kills the alien that gave the Doctor the hint. Janeway stops Torres before the clown takes another life. The Doctor, after communicating with the crew, informs the clown that Janeway will offer herself as a brain for the system in exchange for the remaining hostages or else she will shut down the computerized central computer stasis pod system in 1 minute even if it risks killing the hostages to stop the clown's games. The clown agrees, and soon Janeway appears in the simulation while the remaining hostages are freed. Too late, the clown realizes that Janeway too is a hologram, her mind only minimally connected to the system but not fully connected. With no living being left connected, the crew finish disabling the computer, leaving the clown frightful of the darkness as it engulfs him and the simulation of Janeway. The clown then disappears from existence.

Personal Thoughts

I only slightly remember this episode.  Not one of my favorites, but still pretty good.  It is a weird one to be sure.  Michael McKean is a great actor and watching him perform is always a real treat.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
I had completely forgotten about Spectre of the Gun, but my dad was a big fan of that episode. More specifically, he was a fan of Spock's assertion that "It must work, but it didn't", and that there must be something wrong with reality.

Reminds me of another episode, the one where Spock plays chess against the computer and wins, but asserts that, since he programmed the computer, the best he should be able to manage is a draw. Therefore someone has messed with the computer. In reality this is a specious argument. Nobody who programmed Deep Blue could play chess nearly as well as it could.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
I'll get around to watching Discovery one day but I think it's gonna be a long long time... What? Were Elton John fans expecting something more?

Anyway I liked Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast. The DS9 episodes with Garak are always really good.
Just for morbid curiosity, I'd check out Voyager to see what you personally think of it..

Yeah I agree that many of the DS9 episodes with Garak are really good!

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
I agree, Voyager has an unfortunate reputation. Yeah, there's some stupid stuff in it, like the fact that they lose 17+ shuttles, but I think it's still fantastic.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
Spectre of the Gun didn't make my list, but it is a really cool one.  I love that the show intentionally uses the fake building facades as just that to make the whole world feel wrong and the fact that the characters are trapped in what seems to be an unchangeable destiny makes the whole episode very tense.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
I agree, Voyager has an unfortunate reputation. Yeah, there's some stupid stuff in it, like the fact that they lose 17+ shuttles, but I think it's still fantastic.

Early in the series, they set up this idea that they have to conserve resources due to the long journey ahead of them.  They give up on that by the 2nd season.  They kind of gave up on a lot of interesting concepts.  I would have loved to see Kes go through her entire lifespan over the course of the series.

Anyway I was going to do 4 a day but I think I'll toss out another today and 5 tomorrow to make up for the lack of posts Thursday through Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:14:29 PM by Pastor of Muppets »

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »
47B
Dark Frontier
Series:  Voyager

20 Points
1 of 10 Lists.  Highest Rank: #6 by Pastor of Muppets

Details

After Voyager manages to destroy a Borg probe by beaming a photon torpedo aboard, Seven of Nine finds data nodes filled with tactical information among the debris. With it they locate a heavily damaged sphere nearby, and Captain Janeway decides to plan a "heist" — invade the Borg vessel while its defenses are down and take its transwarp coil, which will shave about 20 years off Voyager's journey. The crew will create a diversion, then send an away team in to steal the technology. Hoping to find information that will give them a tactical edge, Janeway assigns Seven to study her parents' field notes that Voyager recovered from the Raven.

Once she begins studying her parents' logs, Seven remembers their encounters with the Borg. She was only a small girl at the time, but she vividly recalls their fascination with the mysterious Collective. Meanwhile, Voyager catches up with the sphere. The sphere's shields and transwarp drive will be off-line for the next 72 hours, allowing the crew only a short time to plan and execute the mission.

During a holographic simulation, Janeway and the others practice their mission down to the second. They have only two minutes to find and extract the transwarp coil after the sensor grid aboard the Borg sphere is disabled. Their simulated mission fails when Janeway and her team take too long and the Borg regenerate their sensor grid and detect the intrusion. After leaving the holodeck, Seven is unsettled by her close proximity to the Borg, even if it wasn't real. When Naomi Wildman begins asking her questions about the Collective, Seven hallucinates that the Borg have accessed her neural transceiver and know about Janeway's plan.

Further research of her parents' mission lead Seven to conclude her parents underestimated the Borg, which eventually led to their assimilation. It was during this research that Seven discovered the Hansens' description of a bio-damper in their notes, which they used to move around undetected in a Borg vessel while conducting their field research. The Voyager team replicates the technology for use in their raid on the Borg sphere. Asserting that she is willing to risk her own well-being for the sake of the crew, Seven persuades Janeway to assign her to the away team despite the Captain's reservations.

The mission goes as planned until Seven once again hears the voice of the Collective calling her back to the hive. In a sudden change of heart, she refuses to transport back to Voyager with the others, and Janeway is forced to leave her before she is assimilated herself. The sphere returns to Borg space with Seven on board, and the Borg Queen welcomes her back to the Collective.

The Borg Queen informs Seven that the Borg "allowed" Voyager to liberate her from the Collective, but she won't be turned back into a drone because they want to study her memories. With her individuality intact, the Borg can look through her eyes to help them assimilate humanity. Meanwhile, Janeway discovers that Borg signals were being sent to Seven in her cargo bay alcove. Determined to rescue Seven, Janeway leads an away team in the Delta Flyer to find the Borg sphere that took Seven away. They use the stolen coil to take the shuttle into transwarp space, and incorporate multi-adaptive shielding based on the Hansens' field notes from the Raven to go undetected by the Borg.

As Seven is given her first assignment to assist in the assimilation of a species, she secretly helps four of the individuals escape. The Borg Queen scolds her, saying that her human emotions of compassion and guilt are weaknesses that are causing her pain. However, when Seven pleads with her to let the getaway ship escape, the Queen grants her request.

After the away team follows the sphere into Borg space, Janeway prepares to send a message to Seven through her Borg interplexing beacon. The Queen gives Seven a new assignment—to assist in the programming of nanoprobes that will assimilate humans. The Borg plan is to detonate a biogenic charge in Earth's atmosphere, and Seven will be turned into a drone if she does not comply. Taunting her, the Queen reveals that one of the drones standing next to her is Seven's father. Suddenly, Janeway's signal comes through, and the Queen discovers it.

As the Borg adapt to the Delta Flyer's shielding, Janeway is forced to beam to the vessel and de-activate the shield matrix around the Queen's chamber. While Paris eludes the other ships, Janeway confronts the Queen and orders Seven to leave with her. A dispersal field is formed around the chamber to block the Delta Flyer's transporter beam, but Seven tells the Captain to target the power node above the chamber. This disrupts the Queen's command interface, and Janeway and Seven are beamed to the shuttle. They quickly enter a transwarp conduit, but not before a Borg vessel sneaks in behind them. On Voyager, Chakotay orders Torres to fire a full spread of photon torpedoes at the conduit threshold, collapsing it just as the shuttle bursts through. The Borg ship is destroyed, and Seven is home again. Voyager uses the coil and gets 15 years closer to home before it burns out and is rendered useless.

Personal Thoughts

One of my favorites.  I loved Borg episodes of Voyager.  I thought they missed a lot of potential when they skipped right past Borg space in an instant.  It was always a treat to watch Borg centric episodes though.  I especially loved the footage of the Borg Unicomplex, as well as their assimilation of a new race from the Borg's perspective.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »
Just for morbid curiosity, I'd check out Voyager to see what you personally think of it..
Yeah I agree that many of the DS9 episodes with Garak are really good!
I used to watch Voyager ALL the time back in the late 90's and early 2000's, while completely turning my back on DS9. It wasn't until sometime in 2004 where I realized how goddamn awesome DS9 is.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 08:14:28 PM »
DS9 is probably the darkest most brutal of the series. The tone reminds me of M*A*S*H; there's humorous stuff, there's dark stuff, and the spectre of war hovering over it all. It's perfect.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 08:20:51 PM »
Specter of the Gun... awesome. Great episode.

Joining in the conversation about fave series: I only really loved the original. I tried the others, stuck with Voyager the longest (despite Kate Mulgrew's 'Katherine Hepburn as Conehead' voice giving me a rash) but I slowly came to the conclusion that maybe it isn't Star Trek I liked, maybe it was the characters and actors and look (as bright, mod, 60s and probably dated for some, as it was) of TOS. Kirk, Spock, Bones... Sulu (Captain Sulu should have had a spin-off series) and the rest. It was they who I loved, specifically. Not the sci-fi or the mythology. Just that one, particular era and those characters.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:27:43 PM by George-2.0 »