login

Author Topic: IRiff question  (Read 476 times)

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
IRiff question
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:11:34 AM »
I noticed that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is one of the movies being riffed on the new MST3K season, which means it could be public domain. So I'm curious. Is the same movie in the IRiffs Catalog a VOD or something?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: IRiff question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:38:49 AM »
No, none of the iRiffers would be able to get the rights to a licenced movie to sell their riff on it as a VOD. The only iRiffs that are VOD are on public domain movies and shorts.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
Yeah that one and none of the ones featured in Season 11 or in the upcoming Season 12 are public domain flicks.
While there are many exceptions, it's rarer for public domain films to exist in HD quality and the current MST3K only riffs flicks that are available in widescreen HD. (I suspect, but don't know for sure, that some of the Rifftrax HD VODs have been unconverted to HD and aren't true HD.)

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
Given that HD didn't exist when most of these films were made they would have to be converted.  That's why I don't bother shelling out the extra money for HD riffs.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »
Given that HD didn't exist when most of these films were made they would have to be converted.  That's why I don't bother shelling out the extra money for HD riffs.
Did SD digital media exist when some of these films were made? *If* films are re-digitized from a clean copy of the original film, they *should* look better than SD digitizations. I can't speak for everyone, but I find film grain a lot more interesting than digital artifacting. No idea how many people if any are actually going back to the source for HD re-releases, but they ought'a.