Author Topic: What did we learn?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
What did we learn?
« on: November 03, 2018, 02:08:14 AM »
Well, that was a ride!

I learned that you can be the same age as your father, seemingly in your 40s, and be attending college.

I learned that you can have the "hero" of your movie commit stalking, sexual assault, unlawful entry and vehicular larceny crimes.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 57
Re: What did we learn?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
Well, that was a ride!

I learned that you can be the same age as your father, seemingly in your 40s, and be attending college.

Well, of the cast of Beverly Hills 90210 were in their late 20's going to high school, so using that math it sounds about right.

I learned that you can have the "hero" of your movie commit stalking, sexual assault, unlawful entry and vehicular larceny crimes.

So basically he was Vanilla Ice from 'Cool As Ice'.

Offline MrBNatural by Conn

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
I learned Pizza

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
I learned that a place called The Flaming Pit Restaurant is surprisingly upscale.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
Holy crap, the actor who plays the mechanic is Larry Drake! As in, Robert Durant from Darkman and Benny on L.A. Law.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
I learned that truckers aren't taught how to use their transmission to brake in the event of a brake failure.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
I learned that truckers aren't taught how to use their transmission to brake in the event of a brake failure.

Yes, thank you. As someone who's driven stick shifts since age 15, this really bugged me. Any real trucker would attempt to downshift.

Also, at least in Virginia in the Appalachian Mountains, we have runaway truck ramps that are made specifically for this situation. They're usually sharp inclines cut into the mountainside.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »
Holy crap, the actor who plays the mechanic is Larry Drake! As in, Robert Durant from Darkman and Benny on L.A. Law.

And how could you forget him as Dr. Giggles? Surely an iconic role, like the snowman in Jack Frost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJZQRvYHac

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »

And how could you forget him as Dr. Giggles? Surely an iconic role, like the snowman in Jack Frost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJZQRvYHac
Yeah, I wondered about that. They actually say in the riff that he looks like the actor who played Dr. Giggles. That IS the actor who played Dr. Giggles. A quick search of IMDB would have answered that when they were writing it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »
When watching it I learned that this print looks like shit! I was very glad that I only payed for the regular version instead of extra for the HD version. Seriously, for a lot of it there are red dots or something throughout the picture. I don't even know how film gets that kind of damage.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 08:31:24 AM »
I learned that compared to this, Breaker Breaker was directed by Ingmar Bergman and Chuck Norris is Max Von Sydow. I never thought I would ever say 'Breaker Breaker was done better and Chuck Norris was a much better actor. '

I learned the makers of this film were too lazy to decent subliminal advertising. I saw the pizza image as well.

I learned Dr. Giggles is Larry Drake's iconic character for the guys as well.

I learned I want to see a Guy From Harlem Trucker's Woman crossover just to see if the lameness is compatable.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »

Yes, thank you. As someone who's driven stick shifts since age 15, this really bugged me. Any real trucker would attempt to downshift.

Also, at least in Virginia in the Appalachian Mountains, we have runaway truck ramps that are made specifically for this situation. They're usually sharp inclines cut into the mountainside.

I've not driven a manual transmission, really, at all beyond once or twice as a teen just to get the experience in.  But, yeah, even I know that if your brakes fail (in a truck, car, manual or automatic) your only choice isn't to just give up and die.  There's a number of ways to get the vehicle to slow or stop.  Shift into Neutral and then ride the shoulder/edge of the road and let momentum and friction/brushing with the off-road landscape slow you down.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
I learned you should never go outside in just a towel.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 07:26:13 PM »
I learned that from Innerspace.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:06:40 PM »
I learned that from Innerspace.
I'm glad to hear you say that because I was thinking of the exact same scene.  :o