Author Topic: What did we learn!?!  (Read 1492 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 232
What did we learn!?!
« on: October 19, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
The major stakes in a movie where loot boxes and product placement counted as plot were whether or not the evil corporation would triumph and add more product placement and loot boxes to video games,

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 32
Re: What did we learn!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 07:21:41 PM »
I learned what really bad fanfiction looks like.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
I learned that how to find common well known Easter eggs in old Atari 2600 games will either be wiped from the internet in the future or else people in the future just can't practice and perfect finding those Easter eggs in old Atari 2600 games offline before trying to find them online in life or death situations.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
I learned this movie has its flaws, but it supplies one hell of a counterpoint to the type of movie that unaccountably goes out of its way to demonize geeks and insult its fans (e.g. Ghostbusters2016).  It was worth the rewatch.

I learned that the standard christmas tree green light is meaningless to start the first key race, and you must wait for the counter-intuitive slow firework from the statue of liberty instead.  There must have been a LOT of disqualifications until everyone figured that out.

I learned that the ultimate evil avatar is a man-in-black from the original Deus Ex.

I learned that you should wear a disguise when visiting the archives, presumably only to avoid being obstructed by a mob (it can't be to keep your visit secret; everyone already knows Wade (and everyone else) goes there).  However, you should NOT wear a disguise on your date at the club, even though you presumably still don't want to be recognized and mobbed, and the "date" is just a cover story for continuing the key search, so getting recognized at club is actually giving away strategic info.  Samantha going on the date as herself (and allowing Wade to) was at least as dumb as Wade revealing his real name, and far more out of character.

I learned that you shouldn't wear a disguise, even when visiting the archives. AFAIK this is exactly how IOI follows the crew into The Shining.  Disguises never come up again until Wade use his IRL self to fool Sorento . . . that one twist must be the only reason they were introduced at all.

I learned that despite the paranoia, none of the friendly gamers they meet in the oasis turn out to be secretly evil and betray them.  Except the furry.

I learned that it's a "long story" how Wade survived the cataclysm bomb, and he can't explain it to Samantha even though she was with him for literally the whole story.  "The quarter you made me accept from the Curator was an extra life."  Fill in that one gap and she's good.

The major stakes in a movie where loot boxes and product placement counted as plot were whether or not the evil corporation would triumph and add more product placement and loot boxes to video games,

pay2win did exist, but AFAIK the only gamers shown using it were IOI employees and the step-uncle.  Wade addressed it (or tried to) by saying there was deliberately enough "random" loot around for anyone to succeed based on skill alone.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 612
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 12:57:27 AM »
I was born in 1975, so I was definitely a child of the 80s and 90s. But apparently less so than these kids born after 2000. Am I supposed to believe that no new pop culture was worth remembering after the 90s?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 09:11:32 AM »
I was born in 1975, so I was definitely a child of the 80s and 90s. But apparently less so than these kids born after 2000. Am I supposed to believe that no new pop culture was worth remembering after the 90s?
My teen years were all in the 80s. And I was definitely a bit of a geek. What I'm learning is that what we considered popular culture and the antithesis of geek culture in the 80s is now considered geek culture by the kids born later.

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4132
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
I learned that it’s one of the few where the self-insert is the author’s own car.  The author does in fact own a Ghostbusters styled DeLorean.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
I learned that it’s one of the few where the self-insert is the author’s own car.  The author does in fact own a Ghostbusters styled DeLorean.

With the "Cylon eye" from Knight Rider? Gotta admit, that is pretty cool.

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
The guys are still pizza snobs.  Okay, I agree on Chuck E. Cheese, but Pizza Hut isn't the worst pizza on the planet.  That would be Little Caesar's.

They also don't like Doritos.  We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:56:22 AM »
So Daito could choose any giant robot for 2 minutes. And he didn't choose Gunbuster. Hell, he didn't even choose the most powerful model of Gundam.

Which reminds me, where are all the Dragonball characters?

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
So Saito could choose any giant robot for 2 minutes. And he didn't choose Gunbuster. Hell, he didn't even choose the most powerful model of Gundam.

Remember, you have to be a young girl with jiggly breasts to pilot those things.

I'm still amused the only redeeming thing about Gunbuster II was the very final scene, which tied into the final scene of the first series. Which does still move me a bit. 12 thousand years and they still remembered.

I'm assuming they're still making Gundam series. I'm pretty sure they're legally obligated to make at least one a year until the end of eternity.

Which reminds me, where are all the Dragonball characters?

They did a live action Dragonball. I don't mean Evolution. I mean before that. It... doesn't translate into live action well. At all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:21:14 AM by dbsommer »

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4132
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
Shouldn’t the Oasis be absolutely crawling with furries?

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »
I learned that my life is actually worse now than it was before I watched this movie.

I learned that a minor birthmark can make a hot woman not look any less hot.

I learned that watching action scenes with no life or death stakes is meaningless and boring.

I learned that ineffectual villains are bad villains.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
I learned that a "Zemeckis Cube" is apparently a thing. You already have the Delorean. Why do you need a Rubik's Cube to go back in time? And how does that even work? Is every other player just twiddling their thumbs while their avatars are locked into doing whatever they did for the previous 30 seconds?

I learned they couldn't get the rights to use Jack Nicholson's likeness from the Shining. So they gave the axe to the naked woman.

Speaking of which, is "H" supposed to be a lesbian? She seems really into the naked chick. I know that at that point in the movie we're not supposed to know she's actually female, but once you do know that, that scene makes no sense.

Against all odds, there are no female avatars who are actually dudes. Even though the movie specifically mentions this as a distinct possibility.

I learned that a minor birthmark can make a hot woman not look any less hot.

If anything, it makes her look like a superhero.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 108
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
I learned that Steven Spielberg can make movies that are almost as bad as or worse than Indiana Jones II & IV.

I learned that in the future people will want to be able to feel pain in video games.

I learned that Spielberg still hasn't learned anything beyond using stock stereotypes for non-white races and ethnicities since Goonies.

I learned that there is no other video game than the Oasis, and that nobody would want to play any other type of game (such as an offline game) on any other platform.

I learned that all of Wade Watson's friends are in Columbus and not spread out throughout the Globe.

I learned that the pop culture reference riffing done by MST3K and Rifftrax was no accident, and done relative to something on screen, and intended to make you laugh, because this movie is Exhibit A in what happens when you do pop culture references wrong.