login

Author Topic: Now Available - Ready Player One  (Read 701 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2939
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Now Available - Ready Player One
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »

https://www.rifftrax.com/ready-player-one

Hey gamers, strap into your X1 boot suit with microfiber crotch inlay and get ready to gunt. And remember, “a fanboy knows a hater!”

NOTE: Everything in the preceding two sentences is straight from Ready Player One, we didn’t have to exaggerate anything, it’s really that gross.

This alleged movie is an epic feat of fan service, assuming as a “fan” you feel “served” simply by seeing things you recognize flash by on screen. Watching it feels like being stuck in an unplayable cut scene from a video game, a video game you never get to play, and quite frankly wouldn’t really want to play if you could. But hey, gotta cut some slack for the novice director, probably their first time doing a big movie like this, let’s just check and that name, looks like it’s someone called -- STEVEN SPIELBERG?!?!?

It’s a big messy sandbox, but it’s the perfect kind of mess for a RiffTrax, and this one is not to be missed. Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill and howl into the void of empty nostalgia that is Ready Player One!

Written by: Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Sean Thomason, Conor Lastowka

Contributing writers: Jason Miller, Zachary Shatzer

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4195
Re: Now Available - Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
Looks like we already have someone griping in the youtube comments about the riff.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:07:04 PM by The Lurker »

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »
This looks funny. I hope the movie comes to Canadian Netflix sometime cause I don't wanna buy it. Nope nope nope.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 239
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »
-I’ve thought the riffing in a lot of releases lately has been rather lackluster (Mary Jo and Bridgette have been on fire, but Mike, Bill, and Kevin have been more miss than hit over the last 6 months plus). Loved this riff and thought it was the best they’ve done in a long, long time.
-While I’ve complained about Rifftrax cutting movies, this is one that if it was a VOD instead of a “just the jokes” release, I would totally have supported them cutting an hour and a half out of it- great job of riffing throughout and the riffing kept it from dragging, but this was just a total shit show of a movie- would be on my list of top 10 worst blockbusters of all time- Transformers level of bad.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:00:22 PM by wihogfan »

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:26 PM »
the one this I must ask how the guys react to the MechaGodzilla sequence?

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:36:24 AM »
They barely acknowledge him at all, despite the minutes of screentime; there's definitely no MST3K Godzilla callback/nod, if that's what you were expecting.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 05:42:30 AM »
They barely acknowledge him at all, despite the minutes of screentime; there's definitely no MST3K Godzilla callback/nod, if that's what you were expecting.

sounds like they are getting lazy.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4195
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 06:12:00 AM »

Nah.  Missed opportunity, maybe, but I don’t think it was a lack of effort thing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5500
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »

Or not going for the obvious joke.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2525
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »

Or not going for the obvious joke.

Exactly - surely a callback is lazier than a new joke?
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4815
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »
Well, as we all know, comedy is about meeting expectations and never, ever defying them.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 05:35:09 AM »
Lack of Godzilla callbacks aside, are you guys finding this one funny, worth the pain? Because I hate this kind of movie, I really do. But if they made it funny I'll do it. God help me.

P.S. Just read the rank this thread. Pretty good reviews so far.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:36:55 AM by losingmydignity »

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Well, as we all know, comedy is about meeting expectations and never, ever defying them.

Oh, I'd say most of the movies they riff defy expectations, since most people went in expecting a good movie and the directors defied them.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2525
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 05:07:23 PM »
Lack of Godzilla callbacks aside, are you guys finding this one funny, worth the pain? Because I hate this kind of movie, I really do. But if they made it funny I'll do it. God help me.

I kind of hate the majority of movies riffed. In fact, the more I enjoy the movie, generally, the less I enjoy the riff.
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »

I kind of hate the majority of movies riffed. In fact, the more I enjoy the movie, generally, the less I enjoy the riff.

Not necessarily the case for me. Sometimes I love the movie (Manos) and its hilarious. Sometimes I hate the movie (High School Musical) and it's hilarious. But this is the kind of CGI crap I find it hard to sit through. Nonetheless I'm going to watch it later this week, I think.