login

Author Topic: Submissions for LoC #112  (Read 237 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2669
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Submissions for LoC #112
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »
Time to pass that torch! If you have a great idea for LoC #112 AND you want to host it, PM me by next Monday, September 17th. Poll will go up on the 18th!

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3887
Re: Submissions for LoC #112
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
Best Puppets?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2669
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »
PM it to me if you want to host!

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »

I am going to submit Top 50 Laurel & Hardy Films again.  Maybe if I keep submitting the topic for a vote I will finally badger you people into actually watching some of their films. 80% of them are shorts, so watching a few films won't take up much time.  Maybe you will actually like some of them.  They wouldn't still be selling their films 80 years later if they were not very good. A while back I posted a list of their films with links to watch almost all of them for free on YouTube.

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=5210.msg991915#msg991915

You got about a week before the new television season begins, so this is probably the final week you will have a lot of idle television watching time. May as well use it to catch up on the L&H

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 268
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
I don't think I'd ever have the time to host one of these (especially now that I'm heading into my busy Sketchfest planning time), but I remember Westerns kicking around for a while and I'd definitely vote for that. Or Sports movies...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4435
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm down for both.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 153
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:22 AM »
Sports Movies I could get behind but never westerns.  I hate that whole genre.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
I doubt I could do a Sports LoC because I  haven't even seen ten Sports films in my lifetime, and that includes if you toss in the Rocky films. ( I have only seen the first three in that series. ) Maybe I could go beyond ten if the rules were bent and something like the pod race in Star Wars Phantom Menace made the rest of the film count as a sports film, but even then I don't think I could come close to 20, and my list would have Phantom Menace.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4435
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
I doubt I could do a Sports LoC because I  haven't even seen ten Sports films in my lifetime, and that includes if you toss in the Rocky films. ( I have only seen the first three in that series. ) Maybe I could go beyond ten if the rules were bent and something like the pod race in Star Wars Phantom Menace made the rest of the film count as a sports film, but even then I don't think I could come close to 20, and my list would have Phantom Menace.

I know you like Kingpin, since it almost made it on your Comedy Films list.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
I know you like Kingpin, since it almost made it on your Comedy Films list.

Still wouldn't reach 25.  I have seen three Rocky films, Kingpin,  a 30s comedy with Football, two silent comedies, the #11 film on my favorite films list that has bike racing, a baseball comedy, and maybe the comedy about the golf course counts as a sports film. After that I have seen the second half of a lot of baseball films on television, most with the same midwestern actor, part of a very popular hockey comedy, and about two thirds of an academy award best picture winning Olympic film with a theme song that was a top ten hit, but still managed to fall asleep and completely miss the ending.  And about half of another critically acclaimed boxing film from the 80s during a free HBO weekend, and the free trial cut off about an hour into the film. Nice going HBO.

I have seen lots of martial arts films that end in tournaments,  but they are not exactly sports films. I have seen a few sci-fi films with fictitious sports games. And a lot of films like Meatballs that have sporting events within the body of the film. I can't say those grey area movies would qualify because it is up to the host to decide what qualifies as a sports film.  I have seen very few pure sports films from start to finish. 

EDIT:
Just remembered a guilty pleasure film about girl surfers, which probably falls into a grey area as the competition is tagged onto the ending of the movie. So maybe I have seen ten or more sports films completely through.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2339
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
Sports Movies I could get behind but never westerns.  I hate that whole genre.

This but reversed.
FINE

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3887
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
My would be really short.  I only have one favorite and vague memories of others.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 153
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:38:29 PM »
I usually can't come up with 25 items for any list.  So I come up with some from memory, but then pad out the list with items that I remember or have heard of and don't hate.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 220
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »
I wish I could submit something but we all know I could never handle all the things involved with compiling an LoC. For me there's just too much math involved and I would let everybody down because I can imagine having a panic attack over not posting the entries when I'm supposed to or getting entries wrong and... you get the idea.