Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 688 times)

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
What have we learned?
« on: September 02, 2018, 04:26:36 PM »
I learned that you can never have too many training montages, and they can never come too early.

I learned that with some movies, if you fall asleep in the middle it can be difficult to find where you left off because the movie has no discernible sequence of events.

I learned that a great volleyball training technique is to just throw an infinite number of volleyballs at someone.

I learned what it sounds like when a song wants to be Playing with the Boys, but can't quite make it.

I learned that people who watch volleyball on TV don't understand the rules and need a thorough explanation from the hosts.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
I learned that you can become fabulously wealthy by playing.... Professional Volleyball?

That your movie can just have random events and plot threads without them really meaning anything. (Seriously the little side-story with the girl, the papers and the inspection at the airport led to NOTHING.)

Souplantation.

I learned Souplantaion.

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
I learned that people in the 80s were obsessed with volleyball and salad buffets. And I lived through the 80s, so that's a weird thing to learn. Almost like  it isn't actually true... 🤔

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »
I learned that people in the 80s were obsessed with volleyball and salad buffets. And I lived through the 80s, so that's a weird thing to learn. Almost like  it isn't actually true... 🤔

Actually, I do remember salad bars being all the rage in the 80s. Remember Wendy's Super Saladbar? God, I wish that was still a thing.

I learned your wife will serve you divorce papers for leaving home for a couple weeks to follow his dream of PLAYING IN THE OLYMPICS! Here's a thought: if you're so lonely, Go with him.

I speculate that she was kicking herself when she learned that pro V-Ball players can quickly become millionaires.

I learned women can major in "being a wife".

[rant]Although, apropos of that, every time I had a professor ask me something like "what's the volume of a cone", "what European monarch (who all share about 5 names) did so-and-so" or "What (the fuck) are the Lorentz Transformations", I felt like telling him "I'll answer each question per answer you give to my questions: "How do you do your own taxes", "How do I repair my own car" and "How do I prepare my own meals that aren't microwavable and/or pre-packaged.". Teach me stuff that's generally applicable to modern life.[/rant]

I learned Poland flat out cheats at Volleyball.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
I learned you can call your restaurant "Souplantation" and not really have that much selection of soups.

Looking up their website and looking at their menu, their selection of soups is fairly sparse.  It's on par with what'd you'd likely see in almost any other restaurant with an extensive soup/salad section in their menu.

There's 8 soups, half of which seem to be there as part of some "monthly" or other rotational menu, the other half being available all of the time.

Currently, as of looking at the specific menu for a location in La Mesa, CA

The "everyday" soups are: Chicken Noodle, Chili, Clam Chowder, Cream of Mushroom.  The September soups are: Chicken-Jalapeno Tortilla, Creamy Tomato, Veggie Harvest and Bean and Barley Stew.

That just strikes me as.... A pretty sparse selection for a place called "Souplanation"  I would expect their focus would be soups and they'd have a large variety of them, and just all in single-serving, heat-to-serve bags they put in a commercial steamer oven or something that are all mass-produced.     But of those selections, really, I don't see anything that'd draw me there.

No Minestrone, Baked Potato, Italian Wedding? 

Along with the soups they also have a handful of tossed and dinner salads.      Really kind of disappointed.

I mean, I guess I don't know what I was *really* expecting but it seems like just an "ordinary" cheap restaurant that probably does well with elderly people.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »
I learned you can call your restaurant "Souplantation" and not really have that much selection of soups.

Looking up their website and looking at their menu, their selection of soups is fairly sparse.  It's on par with what'd you'd likely see in almost any other restaurant with an extensive soup/salad section in their menu.

There's 8 soups, half of which seem to be there as part of some "monthly" or other rotational menu, the other half being available all of the time.

Currently, as of looking at the specific menu for a location in La Mesa, CA

The "everyday" soups are: Chicken Noodle, Chili, Clam Chowder, Cream of Mushroom.  The September soups are: Chicken-Jalapeno Tortilla, Creamy Tomato, Veggie Harvest and Bean and Barley Stew.

That just strikes me as.... A pretty sparse selection for a place called "Souplanation"  I would expect their focus would be soups and they'd have a large variety of them, and just all in single-serving, heat-to-serve bags they put in a commercial steamer oven or something that are all mass-produced.     But of those selections, really, I don't see anything that'd draw me there.

No Minestrone, Baked Potato, Italian Wedding? 

Along with the soups they also have a handful of tossed and dinner salads.      Really kind of disappointed.

I mean, I guess I don't know what I was *really* expecting but it seems like just an "ordinary" cheap restaurant that probably does well with elderly people.
Well I just learned that Souplantation is an actual place. i had assumed it was made up or out of business.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4477
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
I wonder if it's one of those cases where they've scaled back their buffet selection in recent years.  I'm fairly sure that happened with Ponderosa.

Offline John Bradley

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »
Remember Wendy's Super Saladbar? God, I wish that was still a thing.

+1 for truth!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »
I learned that Olympic volleyball coaches using training techniques and rules similar to every coach I ever played for in any sport and have been used by just about every coach in every movie ever is considered unduly harsh by Olympic volleyball players.   

Offline limbchop

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
This movie was PAINFULLY 80s. Ouch.