Author Topic: Now Available - Spiker  (Read 1922 times)

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 8
Re: Now Available - Spiker
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Was there anything cut with the Polish girl, or the "main character" who dropped out partway through and then randomly showed up near the end? I think there were more unresolved subplots, but those were the real head scratchers.

I also just realized they missed out on a "Look Polish everyone!" callback and now I'm sad.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »
Was there anything cut with the Polish girl...
No

Was there anything cut with...the "main character" who dropped out partway through and then randomly showed up near the end?
Nothing cut regarding that main character after he quit the team. A lot cut before that part. Mostly a few "character development" scenes of him womanizing, but nothing nude or too terribly risque outside of the very brief butt shot of him and a female right before he's introduced on the beach at the beginning. Most of the other cuts were some scenes between the "other" main character and his ex that he hooks back up with at Souplantation and is with the rest of the movie (these scenes explain/confuse his motivations behind planning to quit late in the movie) and some more scenes of the older player fighting with his wife, a scene of some guy trying to pick the wife up in a bar, and several training montages.   

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
Do you mean the uncut version has MORE cul de sacs? Or that it resolves cul de sacs?
A couple of more as the "other" main character and his girlfriend talk about their backgrounds a bit more leading you to believe that those things will come into play at some point, but they don't. Nothing resolved any better in the uncut vs cut. 

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »
Do you mean the uncut version has MORE cul de sacs? Or that it resolves cul de sacs?
A couple of more as the "other" main character and his girlfriend talk about their backgrounds a bit more leading you to believe that those things will come into play at some point, but they don't. Nothing resolved any better in the uncut vs cut.

Kind of reminds of me of people proclaiming the 'uncut' version of Batman v. Superman is 'better' because it explains some things. Except it's not because explaining crap in detail does not make it less crappy. It just draws out the crap.

I accidentily got Amazon Prime (Do not ask) and might watch the uncut after the riff version at some point if I think I can endure it to see what was cut. It sounds like it probably just kept a mind-numbing film from being more mind numbing and dragging, which kind of happened with Starship Invasions. OTOH, the amount of stuff they cut from Kill and Kill Again definitely made that one worse than it was, difficult as that is to believe. The stuff they cut from Jack Frost was fine, since the world does not need to be subjected to carrot rape snowman snuff scenes.

I still can't believe I put those words together in a sentence.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »

Kind of reminds of me of people proclaiming the 'uncut' version of Batman v. Superman is 'better' because it explains some things. Except it's not because explaining crap in detail does not make it less crappy. It just draws out the crap.

My feelings on why the additional scenes in the Beauty & the Beast live-action remake just don't work. "More story" doesn't mean "better story."

The stuff they cut from Jack Frost was fine, since the world does not need to be subjected to carrot rape snowman snuff scenes.
Of course my brain first went to the MST3k ep. It's my favorite ep of theirs. I own the original unriffed movie, so I thought you were going to talk about the songs they cut. Then I got whiplash from reading the rest of your sentence.

Offline John Bradley

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »
I for one would prefer if they left the movies completely unedited, as the RiffTrax version of these crapfests is the only one I'm ever going to see. I'm certainly not going to spend more money to get an unriffed copy of A Talking Cat?!? or any of those godawful South African productions. It seems safe to say that the snowman rape scene was an important part of the director's artistic vision, such as it was. Mocking a film for its incomprehensibility after re-editing it to cut offensive and/or boring scenes... that's just cheating!

Arguably that's helped make many of the riffs over the past two years largely forgettable, as the movies have -- especially when they've been heavy-handed with the deletions -- been turned into "a collection of scenes with funny words dubbed on top of them".

What would The Room be if they cut out the many sex scenes, aside from about 10 minutes shorter? Those scenes are necessary for the full The Room experience, and the riffing during those bits (especially the original version with Disembaudio) was excellent.

Finding something clever to say over the boring or cringeworthy parts is no doubt hard as hell, but it can be some of the best stuff. The guys are suffering along with us. Imagine early MST3K without Rock Climbing, or Deep Hurting, or even Hypno-Helio-Static-Stasis...

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 06:24:34 PM »
I for one would prefer if they left the movies completely unedited, as the RiffTrax version of these crapfests is the only one I'm ever going to see. I'm certainly not going to spend more money to get an unriffed copy of A Talking Cat?!? or any of those godawful South African productions. It seems safe to say that the snowman rape scene was an important part of the director's artistic vision, such as it was. Mocking a film for its incomprehensibility after re-editing it to cut offensive and/or boring scenes... that's just cheating!

Arguably that's helped make many of the riffs over the past two years largely forgettable, as the movies have -- especially when they've been heavy-handed with the deletions -- been turned into "a collection of scenes with funny words dubbed on top of them".

What would The Room be if they cut out the many sex scenes, aside from about 10 minutes shorter? Those scenes are necessary for the full The Room experience, and the riffing during those bits (especially the original version with Disembaudio) was excellent.

Finding something clever to say over the boring or cringeworthy parts is no doubt hard as hell, but it can be some of the best stuff. The guys are suffering along with us. Imagine early MST3K without Rock Climbing, or Deep Hurting, or even Hypno-Helio-Static-Stasis...

MST3K movies were edited too.

And Rifftrax knows if they sell a movie with a rape scene, they are losing sales. It doesn't fit with their target audience.

Also, why in the world would we care what a directors artistic vision is? They artistic vision didn't include have their movie watched with people mocking it.
FINE

Offline John Bradley

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »

Of course. They had to conform to a network timeslot, regularly scheduled commercial breaks, and whatnot. RT has no such constraints.

And Rifftrax knows if they sell a movie with a rape scene, they are losing sales. It doesn't fit with their target audience.

Then that should be an indication they're choosing movies that don't fit with their target audience. Don't do movies with rape scenes, if that's such a huge concern. Or do them anyway, and count on the pro-rape contingent to pick up the slack. Or accept that they're not going to sell every single VOD to every single potential customer and don't worry about it. As one does with cancer.

Also, why in the world would we care what a directors artistic vision is?

To properly mock it, obviously. The "why would the director even do this?" question is often the most interesting aspect of a Good-Bad film.

If you're going to mock a terrible film, at least have the common decency to mock the actual terrible film the director made, not some even more incomprehensible "collection of scenes" spliced together in the RT editing room.

Suppose they decided that "endless shots of shirtless hunky guys walking around" was going to cause them to lose sales. Would they then choose to do another David DeCoteau masterpiece, Bigfoot vs D.B. Cooper, and edit the film down to the remaining 30 minutes? While I'm sure that whatever was left would also be terrible and deserving of mockery, it's not 'the film' -- and in this particular case would be missing the most mockable aspect of the original.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
... Not sure if you're a troll, but you literally just asked Rifftrax to market to a 'pro-rape' crowd.
FINE

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
Said it before and I'll say it again...fine with cutting scenes of rape or excessive violence or sex to try and keep it PG13-ish. But not OK with a lot of the cuts we've seen in releases lately though as many of them just seem lazy. And the MST3K comparisons don't fly because Rifftax has no network standards to adhere to and no time constraints and if MST3k had cut a 1 hour and 40 minute movie to an hour and 15 minutes but left in 10 minutes of credits ( which has been been done on some Rifftrax releases), they would have riffed the credits (not that original credit riffs would be easy at this point). After seeing this one riffed and unriffed, this would actually be one where I'd argue the cuts were unnecessary but weren't as agreegeous as some others (Kill and Kill Again being the one that stands out the most as being hurt by the cuts).

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
Said it before and I'll say it again...fine with cutting scenes of rape or excessive violence or sex to try and keep it PG13-ish. But not OK with a lot of the cuts we've seen in releases lately though as many of them just seem lazy. And the MST3K comparisons don't fly because Rifftax has no network standards to adhere to and no time constraints and if MST3k had cut a 1 hour and 40 minute movie to an hour and 15 minutes but left in 10 minutes of credits ( which has been been done on some Rifftrax releases), they would have riffed the credits (not that original credit riffs would be easy at this point). After seeing this one riffed and unriffed, this would actually be one where I'd argue the cuts were unnecessary but weren't as agreegeous as some others (Kill and Kill Again being the one that stands out the most as being hurt by the cuts).

Just because they don't have a network to be beholden to, doesn't mean they can't have their own standards.

If they a) want to keep the riffs mostly to a certain tone, that's perfectly reasonable, and b) if they cut things to make the whole experience better commercially, that seems not only reasonable, but the best practice. I want a funnier riff, not a longer one.
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »

Of course. They had to conform to a network timeslot, regularly scheduled commercial breaks, and whatnot. RT has no such constraints.

Late reply but they kinda do. Rifftrax films eventually show up in various places besides this site- Pluto, Amazon's Video section, Shout, Twitch. And, for example, on Twitch some of the stuff that works in a VOD doesn't fly with Twitch's standards. Twitch has issues with gratuitous nudity, for example, so things like the strip club in Stone Cold cause issues there. Heck, the statues in Devil's Hand get edited  "just in case." If they edit the film before the VOD stage, they won't have to do it again later and deal with the issues presented by these other outlets as well as the complaints that it was edited down from the VOD.