login

Author Topic: Rifftrax live of the five doctors  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Hellbanker

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Rifftrax live of the five doctors
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
Does anyone know why Rifftrax live of The Five Doctors has not been released on any media? Space Mutiny just came out, and this from this summer!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5114
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Rifftrax live of the five doctors
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
The rights to the Five Doctors special is a bit more expensive than Space Mutiny for a VOD, so it probably won't happen.  At least not anytime soon.  Feel free to prove me wrong, Rifftrax.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
Pretty sure they already said there wasn't going to be a VOD release of the 5 Doctors. We are supposed to get a Just the Jokes at some point.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
"Soon", according to this tweet.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 272
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
Thanks for the info! I hope that I bought the right DVD version...

Offline JTown0510

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
Any news on a "Just the jokes" version of the five doctors?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
I hope its not a stretch goal. 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline SIRHAMHAT

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 03:45:53 AM »
This is such a bizarre anomaly (and void) in the RIFFTRAX catalog... We KNOW that this was not going to be released as a complete VOD, because of obvious legal hurdles & because they clearly stated this before & after the LIVE show was in theaters. None of the LIVE shows that were given the "JUST THE RIFFs mp3 treatment" took this long to release. I mean, it couldn't be a legal thing, because the whole point of the "JUST THE RIFFs" was how RIFFTRAX began--riffing HUGE blockbusters without legal ramifications (and The Five Doctors is CERTAINLY not a HUGE blockbuster). They DID, in fact, state that the mp3 release was coming soon, but clearly that's not the case, as it is not--well, HERE.

I'm not sure how well, financially, that this LIVE show did... and I'm not sure if that would affect their desire or the speediness of if/when they'd release it. I mean, if the LIVE show didn't do well & "JUST THE RIFFs" mp3's don't sell as well as the VODs, I guess that also MIGHT affect their desire/quickness to release it.

If the actual DVD of The Five Doctors was a difficult release to acquire, that MIGHT affect their choice to release it, but I know that's not the issue, cause I bought my copy nearly 2 years ago JUST FOR THE ANTICIPATED & PROMISED release of the mp3. Plus, to be sure, I just checked it's availability on Amazon & no issues there--it's ripe, ready & in stock at this very moment. Not sure about it's streaming availability. I know they are pushing the mp3 usage with the app & if it's not streaming on a popular service, that could be an issue.

It just seems like NOT recording an already finished script for mp3 release seems like a bit of a waste... I know they work long & hard, slogging through one bad movie after another, so it seems like they'd take a break, record this one and release it. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather they keep pumping out the fresh, new riffs--but, I'd also like to see this one make it to some format, since I already bought the DVD just for that very reason.

Even after the LIVE short release of "Play Safe" (the short from The Five Doctors LIVE show), they didn't utter a peep about it. So, that British short may be as close as we'll get to The Five Doctors release...

So, I've thought through every possible reason why this isn't available yet & there's not really a viable one that I can think of. Maybe they simply didn't enjoy this one & they don't want to see another single Doctor ever again. And, hell, this one has FIVE!!!

Generally, RIFFTRAX is pretty good at responding to fairly sensible questions, and GREAT at responding to entitled, self righteous jackasses that deserve a punch in the throat before they deserve a measured response (stop looking at me & thinking that RIGHT now). That's why I think the oddest thing about all of this is their complete silence regarding The Five Doctors release. I've seen tons of posts on social media (Twitter, Instagram, facebook, Drip) asking: "hey you, jerks--when are you gonna release The Five Doctors mp3 or LIVE show?"... and, YES, I was responsible for about 80% of them, but STILL... I even got a LIKE (or heart or whatever the hell it's called) on Twitter from brilliant humorist/cartoonist, Michael Kupperman, on one of my "hey, where's The Five Doctors riff". So, even brilliantly funny, semi-famous people want to know where the heck it is.

Anyhow, I just wanted to vent about this... I'm not angry at you, RIFFTRAX... I'm just disappointed...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:52:23 AM by SIRHAMHAT »

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 272
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
Around last Christmas they said that an mp3 was close to release. I wonder what happened.

If they don't release an mp3, I will also be very disappointed because we weren't able to attend the show.

Offline SIRHAMHAT

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
Around last Christmas they said that an mp3 was close to release. I wonder what happened.

If they don't release an mp3, I will also be very disappointed because we weren't able to attend the show.

Yeah, it's strange--as I stated in my long, overblown post... Again, the two oddest things that I find about it is that NONE of the other LIVE releases that had to become "Just the RIFFs" mp3s have taken this long to release & that RIFFTRAX hasn't really addressed it or responded to the multitude of questions about it. Clearly a government conspiracy... without question. I won't be swayed on this, you hear me RIFFTRAX?!?!? Ya' HEAR ME?!?!

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
Rifftrax own Torgo's Pizza posted this on Reddit:

"Sorry for the delay, I didn't know the answer myself, so I had to ask. Unfortunately due to our agreement with BBC, we actually won't be able to release even an MP3 commentary version of this riff, which is a real shame. But we might be able to do another encore broadcast in theaters. I realize that still might not help everyone, though, and we'll continue to work on BBC and hopefully, someday, we'll be able to update our agreement to release the show (or its MP3 counterpart).

"Basically, at the moment, both a VOD of the show and an MP3 version of the commentary are off the table. Bummer, I know - but that's kind of what we agreed to. It's unusual for us, but so was our deal with BBC in general!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rifftrax/comments/96eqeo/the_five_doctors/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:05:09 PM by majorjoe23 »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:52:42 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5114
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
That's a darn shame but it's nice to have an answer and a bit of closure at least.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5674
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »
Yeah, that is too bad. I really enjoyed the Five Doctors riff, and was looking forward to having it to rewatch. If they do rebroadcast the Fathom event to theaters I will definitely go.

Offline J Garth Wilcox

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 12:30:59 PM »
Since the live shows no longer play in Canada, I was really looking forward to the MP3. Surprised that the BBC wouldn't let them do one. I wonder if any other studio blocked a MP3 release?