login

Author Topic: A whole box of unopened N64 games just waiting to be played.  (Read 120 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 46
The recent LoC had me digging through my boxes of games to remind myself exactly what games I owned. And I found a box of still factory sealed N64 games.

Here's the back story.  I bought my N64 around 1999 as part of the Donkey Kong 64 Bundle. I got it from Software Etc in a pre-order deal that included a limited edition banana controller. Nice. Almost immediately after I got my N64 Nintendo was announcing the GameCube. Within three years the N64 was discontinued.  This reminded me of what happened with the SNES. The cartridges disappeared from retail stores before I had bought all the ones I wanted. I should have realized when the SNES was discontinued, the games would be discontinued as well. And the stock would sell out fast.

So now the same thing was about to happen with the N64. So like a madman I spent the next couple of years searching the city for stores still selling N64 cartridges buying up as many games as I could find. From what I remember, I only missed one fighting game I was interested in. But otherwise was able to get every game I was even slightly interested in, plus a lot of other stuff. The good news was a lot of stores were unloading their N64 games for $5 - $15.

I suddenly had a hoard of games, each which took days to complete. Many of them I did complete. A lot of them I opened, played the first level, then put back on the shelf with plans to play the rest of the game at a later date. There are a couple I was in the middle of playing, including a disappointing version of Mega Man, and Earthworm Jim 64, both which I left off stuck on an unbeatable end boss. For a while there during the economic crisis I was unemployed and had all the time in the world to play video games. Then I found a job ( still my current job ) that unfortunately had a long commute, the networks began programming too many good shows, ( remember when it was lucky if there was more than one live action superhero series during a season? ), and I had a backlog of DVDs to get to, so for the longest time I simply had no time for video games. And by that I mean I somehow found a lot of time to waste on those cheap online flash games, but never the time for a proper vide game.

Anyway, it turns out I have an entire shoe box of unopened games I never tried out. Here is what I found.

Ready 2 Rumble
Ready 2 Rumble 2
Xena: Warrior Princess ( oops. I think this was supposed to be a gift I got for someone I forget about. I'm hoping it is an RPG, but it looks like a bad fighting game. )
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ( I didn't open this? )
Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage ( RPG? )
Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8 2nd Defense
Perfect Dark
Doom 64
Duke Nukem 64
Duke Nukem Zero Hour

I have no idea if any of these games are any good, or if I will ever find the time to play them.