Author Topic: Is it worth getting a PS3 just to buy 2 games??  (Read 841 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 56
Is it worth getting a PS3 just to buy 2 games??
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »
I would be taking about buying the latest PlayStation, but apparently you can't play old games in new systems, so if I wanted to buy Grand Theft Auto Liberty City and Stranglehold, I would either have to download Windows XP on a new computer and erase the latest Windows it was installed with,  buy the unreasonably expensive Xbox 360, or get a cheaper PS3. I am pretty sure the PS3 had a few other good games, so I probably wouldn't be stuck on just two games.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2975
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Is it worth getting a PS3 just to buy 2 games??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
Honestly my PS3 spends most of its time as a Blu-ray player that occasionally plays video games. Media Molecule's stuff is pretty cool, and it has an exclusive Katamari game that's probably the best of the Katamari games. Your tastes may vary, of course.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2550
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »
Surely only you can decide if it's worth it?
FINE

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
Of the choices you presented, I think PS3 is your best bet. Cheapest in the short term, and chances are you'll find a few more good games.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 429
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
It really depends. 99% of the time I use my PS3 for streaming stuff from Youtube/Google Play store or movies/TV shows from Amazon.com. Even on Wi-Fi it's still fast, and there's little to no lagging. I think of the PS3 as a very dependable Blu-Ray player, if you're thinking about getting it for watching movies on Blu-ray or the aforementioned reason I highly recommend it. I also recommend getting a ps3 remote(it's not necessary but more convenient than using the dual shock controller IMHO)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2975
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
I also recommend getting a ps3 remote(it's not necessary but more convenient than using the dual shock controller IMHO)

Just don't brush up against it or breathe on it or your PS3's turning on!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Just don't brush up against it or breathe on it or your PS3's turning on!
Well... yes, there's that too. That's why when I go to sleep I face the controller with all the buttons facing down so I don't accidentally hit it during the night and power on the system.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
I would not use the PS3 other than for playing games. I already own a Blu-ray player, and from what I remember about the internet on the PS3, it didn't work too well. ( Or am I remembered the Dreamcast? ) I already have PCs that get the internet, not to mention every phone is internet ready. And the 3DS gets the internet, if waiting five minutes for a page to load up is your thing.  As for using it to play Blu-rays that would be a mistake. Every time you use a machine you wear down the parts. It's unavoidable. Playing movies on a PS3 would wear the system down faster. Blu-ray player wears down, get a new Blu-ray player. PS3 wears down then the only way to play those games again is to buy another PS3. I don't know about you, but if I am still around 100 years from now, I am going to want to be able to play my old video games, and not have to go to a museum to do it. That's the only reason why I still have my old games in boxes. Because I remembered how much fun most of them were, and plan on spending most of my time playing them when I finally retire.

If I got a PS3 it would only be to play the two games mentioned. Of course, any other PS3 games worth playing I could end up buying. But the whole point is remembering how much fun GTA was when I would play it at a friend's house. I had intended to buy it and Stranglehold   for my PC, but just found out the Windows XP games will not work on any other OS. Not entirely a problem as I still have my Windows XP setup discs, but it would mean writing over Windows 10 or whatever the hell my new PC came installed with, and making it internet useless.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »
Now that I think about it Stethacantus there's another complex angle to your question. That's whether or not the game is available through the Playstation store or whether you're going to get the actual disc of the game. If you've bought them through the PSN store, it's essentially yours indefinitely... with a catch. I'm not sure what the future holds for the PSN store and whether or not it'll still be around in 10 years time or so. Typically though, if you're buying a physical copy of the game used you can usually get most PS3 games pretty cheap when you buy used from places like Gamestop. My experience with the PS3 ever since they were first released is that they are a really good system that lasts quite a while, especially if you take care of it.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 130
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Now that I think about it Stethacantus there's another complex angle to your question. That's whether or not the game is available through the Playstation store or whether you're going to get the actual disc of the game. If you've bought them through the PSN store, it's essentially yours indefinitely... with a catch. I'm not sure what the future holds for the PSN store and whether or not it'll still be around in 10 years time or so. Typically though, if you're buying a physical copy of the game used you can usually get most PS3 games pretty cheap when you buy used from places like Gamestop. My experience with the PS3 ever since they were first released is that they are a really good system that lasts quite a while, especially if you take care of it.

Basically this. Also, Ni no Kuni is an awesome RPG in the Ghibli art style with an orchestral OST.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
I am assuming the PlayStation store is downloading a program of the game into the PS3. If so, I don't trust it. The way those programs usually work is that you need the PS3 to be connected to the internet every time you play the game, so that PlayStation can send you an authorization code. I known that's how DivX movies and most of the music stores work. The problem with that is PlayStation could revoke the game at any time, for example if they were to get into a legal dispute with Rockstar, or if they were to decide to crack down on violence in their games.  Even if it is permanent without need for an authorization code, there's still the possibility of the system crashing and the index for the game being erased. I know that happens all the time with PCs, erasing every media and text file I neglected to back up.

With a physical copy, I know it is there and ready to be reinstall every time I want to play. There are new copies available at Amazon ( I insist on new. Used could mean level killing micro scratches. ) Reasonable priced. However, If my friend still has his PS3, or if I can find any other friends or family with a PS3, then I wouldn't mind buying the online version that allows multiple players in the same game.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4231
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »
I am assuming the PlayStation store is downloading a program of the game into the PS3. If so, I don't trust it. The way those programs usually work is that you need the PS3 to be connected to the internet every time you play the game, so that PlayStation can send you an authorization code. I known that's how DivX movies and most of the music stores work. The problem with that is PlayStation could revoke the game at any time, for example if they were to get into a legal dispute with Rockstar, or if they were to decide to crack down on violence in their games.  Even if it is permanent without need for an authorization code, there's still the possibility of the system crashing and the index for the game being erased. I know that happens all the time with PCs, erasing every media and text file I neglected to back up.

With a physical copy, I know it is there and ready to be reinstall every time I want to play. There are new copies available at Amazon ( I insist on new. Used could mean level killing micro scratches. ) Reasonable priced. However, If my friend still has his PS3, or if I can find any other friends or family with a PS3, then I wouldn't mind buying the online version that allows multiple players in the same game.
Except in the case of the Turtles in Time remake, where you could still redownload it if you had already bought the game, even after it was pulled.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
I am assuming the PlayStation store is downloading a program of the game into the PS3. If so, I don't trust it. The way those programs usually work is that you need the PS3 to be connected to the internet every time you play the game
Okay, stop me if things have changed but AFAIK I can't recall any instance where I had to be online in order to play any Playstation game on my PS3... the only obvious exception being online multiplayer components of games. I don't think Sony has changed their policy since then. It's kind of like when you play a game on a PSP or PS Vita. Both of them don't have to be in range of an access point in order to play your games. In all the years I've used a PS3, I can't recall one single instance where that ever, ever happened. The only relevant example I can think of when a game is removed from the store off-hand is "Silent Hills: P.T.", but 1) That was a demo, and 2) no gamers lost any money on it since it didn't cost anything. It was as I recall one of the very few(if only) games to ever be removed from the store.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:40:04 PM by Russoguru »

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
Okay, stop me if things have changed but AFAIK I can't recall any instance where I had to be online in order to play any Playstation game on my PS3... the only obvious exception being online multiplayer components of games. I don't think Sony has changed their policy since then. It's kind of like when you play a game on a PSP or PS Vita. Both of them don't have to be in range of an access point in order to play your games. In all the years I've used a PS3, I can't recall one single instance where that ever, ever happened. The only relevant example I can think of when a game is removed from the store off-hand is "Silent Hills: P.T.", but 1) That was a demo, and 2) no gamers lost any money on it since it didn't cost anything. It was as I recall one of the very few(if only) games to ever be removed from the store.

Like I said, I don't know how PlayStation sells it's  downloadable content, but going back to the failed DViX system the technology existed where content could only be decoded  via obtaining the code over the internet. With DIVX it was to force you to pay a rental fee for the movie you already had on your DVD, which is why no one bought the cheaper DVIX players. But then the practice moved to downloadable content, which is almost always on a device with permanent internet access ( depending on WiFi availability. ) The usual reason this is done is to prevent the content from being copied onto an unauthorized device. You paid to see the X-Men movie on your laptop, the company selling you that movie has the laptops address and will only send that laptop the codex. The problem with this system is if the store closes, or loses the right to a third party game, or has something like Bill Cosby in Adventureland and decides to remove it, then the game is no longer playable. But that all depends if PlayStation is encoding games to prevent them from being copied and given away for free to friends.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »
Like I said, I don't know how PlayStation sells it's  downloadable content, but going back to the failed DViX system the technology existed where content could only be decoded  via obtaining the code over the internet. With DIVX it was to force you to pay a rental fee for the movie you already had on your DVD, which is why no one bought the cheaper DVIX players. But then the practice moved to downloadable content, which is almost always on a device with permanent internet access ( depending on WiFi availability. ) The usual reason this is done is to prevent the content from being copied onto an unauthorized device. You paid to see the X-Men movie on your laptop, the company selling you that movie has the laptops address and will only send that laptop the codex. The problem with this system is if the store closes, or loses the right to a third party game, or has something like Bill Cosby in Adventureland and decides to remove it, then the game is no longer playable. But that all depends if PlayStation is encoding games to prevent them from being copied and given away for free to friends.

This is the reason why GOG is so popular.  I actually ended up with a few games that got pulled from GOG that are still attached to my account, but all of GOG's releases are DRM-free, so as long as I downloaded a copy as a backup, if they decided to "P.T." that game, you can still have a copy of it as long as you're careful with it.  But then again, that kind of goes along with EVERY video game.

Playstation's store is attached to whatever account you use to login, so whatever games are attached to your account can be downloaded and accessed whenever.  For the most part, even games that have been removed from sale generally are still accessible to you, with very rare exceptions, and those are generally demos or 'free-to-play' titles.  Zen Pinball, for instance, is supposed to be available for download if you got it already (and bought DLC tables), but the company itself pulled the ability to get new copies of it because they themselves thought their new product, Zen Pinball 2, was a way better product and didn't want people downloading Zen Pinball 1 by accident.  However, this led to the problem where I bought almost every table except two, and those tables can no longer be bought, so I have a game sitting on my PS3 that I can only complete 90% of.  Which is very user-friendly of the company... ::)

You do not, however, have to have an 'always-on' connection.  I know this because I've bought games, downloaded them, and then had times where I've disconnected the wifi and can enjoy them just fine.  The only time this really becomes an issue is if you got a freebie game through the Plus service; once the period of your membership expires (even if renewed), and you haven't played the game in awhile, you'll have to be connected for a brief period in order to renew the license on that game; however, items you've purchased never require you to be online at all times.

What's funny is there is a 'kinda sorta' way to lend games to friends...if a friend or family member has a separate gaming account and puts it on your system, they can install games they've purchased which are then accessible to everyone on that system.  Granted, if you ever remove the account, the games no longer work, but unless you have 30 friends all with separate accounts, it's usually not a problem.  I'm not sure how this works if you both decide to play the game together online while logged in to different systems, since I've never tried it.

That all being said, I do agree that I am always hesitant of the digital-only system, because I think one day something like that COULD happen where a company could go out of business and suddenly your entire library (and however much money you've poured into it) is gone, or that they pull a power trip and erase half your games, or ban you without cause and you lose all your stuff.  I'm sure people will find ways to make this a safer bet going forward, but I'm still very much a proponent of having a copy, in some shape or form, that you can always consider 'your' copy, and nobody can remove it from you.  This is why I still buy physical movies, because I hate my favorites being at the monthly whims of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

(One final note: You DO have to register a system when you buy a PS3 to your account.  This may be the closest thing you would have to worry about in terms of an 'authorized' system, and I think it's less about you having games and more about they don't want you downloading things to your "Plodstution Tree" you bought from a flea market in a shady part of town.  However, if it breaks or you want to sell it, you can deactivate it and put it on a new system with little to no fuss; nothing is ever permanently tied to the system should it crap out.)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.