Author Topic: House of Leaves pilot script  (Read 216 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1342
House of Leaves pilot script
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:09:35 AM »
I don’t anticipate this will get many responses, if any at all, but I was so excited by it that I wanted to post it here. Mark Z. Danielewski is the author of House of Leaves , a cult novel that is very trippy, convoluted, beautiful, and down right creepy. It’s one of my favorite books. Mark has been very active on the HOL book club on Facebook, hosting readings of the book and posting questions for fans as they read through it.

Yesterday he posted a screenplay draft of the pilot for an adaptation of HOL and invited the community to give feedback. The book is a book about a book about a book about a movie, and since it is about a movie, at least partially, a lot of it is very visual. But a lot of it is impossible to capture on screen, because it plays with the very order and method of reading to convey different mental states. So an adaptation by anyone other than Mark himself would most likely sacrifice something. But this pilot screenplay has captured all the strangeness and depth that the book holds. If you’re familiar at all with the book you should give it a read. And if you’re not familiar with the book and you have some spare time I’d be curious to hear what you thought. It’s entierly possible that I enjoy this screenplay so much because I’m intimately familiar with the source material.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8ju058vnudefwz/HouseOfLeavesPilot_ByMarkZDanielewski.pdf?dl=0

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: House of Leaves pilot script
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
I have never read the book, but I'm well aware of it, mostly thanks to Poe's Haunted album.  What I know makes me want to read it, but I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and read much of any books lately.  To know there's an effort to make an adaptation is intriguing.

What I do know about it is that a lot of the story deals with a house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and the fact that there is a really long hallway in it that can't possibly exist is the LEAST weird thing about it.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1342
Re: House of Leaves pilot script
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
That's the basic plot, but it's not what makes it creepy, or beautiful.  Here's an example of a page later in the book. 

It gets very abstract.