Author Topic: Space Mutiny Live! Thread  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
Space Mutiny Live! Thread
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
What did you guys think? I'll start off. I'm in the minority who didn't like the original Space Mutiny riff. However, I thought this riff was better. Not by much, though. Still, there were many times when I was laughing. I dozed off in the middle of the movie, though.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 51
Re: Space Mutiny Live! Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
The first is indeed a classic for me and I still remember some of the lines. This was a worthy inheritor. Original was probably still better, but there is so much material in this you could probably do 4 versions if you were so inclined.

Dear god I forgot how scenery chewing Law was. Even Shatner would have told him to dial it down several notches. As one of the people i went with said, he might have been more evil than evil faced than Jon Voight in Anaconda. I could have seen him giving an evil laugh while relieving himself in the bathroom.

Can't believe I forgot the dancing women with the electric orbs. Who could have been written out entirely since they serve no actual purpose in the movie.

And Kevin looked cooler in the mu mu than Cameron.

Oh yes, and that short was something else. HG Wells none the less.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:17:47 PM by dbsommer »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5674
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
I thought this riffs was funny in spots, but the original is IMHO them at their absolute best. The original MST3K episode had many many memorable lines, and excellent riff density and pacing. I only laughed out loud a few times at this one, and the riff density was off. There seemed to be parts of the movie where they could have put a riff but didn't.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »
The theater didn't bother to turn the air on so it was like watching this in Calgon's basement sauna.

And on the drive home it started to hail.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
I think I laughed more at the MST3K version, but this one was quite funny.   It had to be hard to come up with new material that didn't copy the original riffs.

It may have been a better show to have used an edited version and then added an extra short to make up the time, there's only so much you can do with people walking around.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
The theater didn't bother to turn the air on so it was like watching this in Calgon's basement sauna.

And on the drive home it started to hail.

I assure you, somewhere, Calgon was laughing when everything was happening to you. Because he's evil, and that's what he does.

I think I laughed more at the MST3K version, but this one was quite funny.   It had to be hard to come up with new material that didn't copy the original riffs.

It may have been a better show to have used an edited version and then added an extra short to make up the time, there's only so much you can do with people walking around.

But they had an animated gorilla gram this time. You had to have the additional scenes for that. :) And I thought the same thing Mike did about it before he mentioned it. That opening mouth thing. They made something supposedly cute unintentionally disturbing.

And I forgot Calgon threatening Cameron with the daughter, then forcing her down off screen in such a way that, yeah, it probably would look exactly like that if that was what he had been actually doing.

They couldn't top the first one, though. There's a reason it's near the top of most people's lists. Everything came together near perfectly. Sort of like Outlaw (of Gor) was for me. Space Mutiny had exploding floor cleaners and sinister laughter in every scene, that had lots of buffalo shots, mostly of midgets, and the toobular boobular. But they were both  flawless, and you can't do better than that even if you revisit it. LIVE was still fun on it's own. The people that went with us that never saw the first loved it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:38:26 AM by dbsommer »

Offline Hawk196

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »
I liked the Live riff of Space Mutiny.
This version was a lot longer than the original MST one.
The opening space battle was longer, some of the chase scenes with Ryder running around were much longer too.
I'll have to watch that episode again to compare.

Another solid effort from the Rifftrax guys.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »
Yes, there were a lot of extra scenes, many extra transition shots, like we see the dead girl twice because of an extra walking away transition.  And lots of recycled footage that the MST3K version cut out.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
I wonder why they didn't send some of the kickstarter money out to Mary Jo and use the song from her album "songs in the key of B movies"

"Now! (You're In Love) Space Mutiny" is a pretty funny song, the end credits were certainly long enough to have it after the Rifftones song.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
I assure you, somewhere, Calgon was laughing when everything was happening to you. Because he's evil, and that's what he does.

Curse you, Dark Side Ryan Stiles!
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Hawk196

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
Yes, I am glad they finally acknowledged the Battlestar Galactica footage.
Actually I'm surprised there weren't more BG jokes..

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 08:02:03 PM »
I really, really hate to say it... but I didn't enjoy this live riff nearly as much as the original MST3K episode. However, there may be other reasons my enjoyment was hampered. For the duration of the whole damn movie, two loud mouths five seats away kept talking at full volume. I wanted to have management throw them out but I also didn't want to get up from my seat.

Offline Prince of Space

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 3
  • Your weapons have no effect on me!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
I go to Nashville a lot for work and luckily I was able to work it out to see them perform it live. The only other live show I have been to so far was the MST3K reunion in Minneapolis. There were several people in the audience dressed up as characters from the movie and Mike and Bill came out before they let us in the theater and gave everyone a crisp high five which was great (Kevin was most likely not wanting to ruin the reveal of his warrior muumuu). We all got David Ryder coasters too.

I enjoyed the riff, but since there were so many classic lines from the original I found myself missing them (I'M INSANNNNNE! She's presenting like a mandrill. Mrs. Kringle and I have an understanding, it's basically over between us. Sting, Debbie Reynolds, and God. Various mentions of Sherri's birthday card, etc). I was disappointed there was no riffing of the credits since the original is so good (I wouldn't want to slam a stack of that guy). It was cool to see the extended version of the movie and thanks as always to everyone who helped put on the show!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3141
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
Just got back from the encore. My stomach muscles are tight from all the laughter, and that means it was a good show. I loved the new nicknames. Especially during the love scene.

Offline moviesign

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
Like most “repeats,” I thought it was just okay. Amusing, but I know the original so well that a constant running comparison is inevitable. It’s like listening to a remix or cover of a favorite song: it might be absolutely fine but you can never not-hear the original in your head. That said, I did feel the riff density was a little light but when the jokes hit, they hit well.
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.