login

Author Topic: List of Crap #110: Top 50 Comedy Films Countdown 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold  (Read 18334 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3821
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Ok I have never seen this but I love Mel Brooks SpaceBalls so might have to check this one out :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Airplane 2 I just, didn't like at all (sorry fans)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ddsZTFSfXaw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ddsZTFSfXaw</a>

Boo me? Why, I didn't make the movie. If you wanna boo someone, boo them.  ;D
That's the first thing that popped in my head when I read your post so I had to boo you ;D

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 130
  • We are the road crew!
Men in tights is good stuff, classic.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Yes, I think Robin Hood: Men in tights aged rather well to tell the truth, while I think Spaceballs... I just can't stand watching Spaceballs anymore. Sure, it's got a few great jokes here and there but the overall product just kind of annoys me these days.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 725
  • 5000 deaths and counting
 Sweet :) I was the other person with Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

"Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with a British accent."

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 243

That's the first thing that popped in my head when I read your post so I had to boo you ;D

I probably need to be booed every once in a while, just to keep me humble (actually my soul crushing job does that...  ;D)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:11:07 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 725
  • 5000 deaths and counting

I probably need to be booed every once in a while, just to keep me humble (actually my soul crushing job does that...  ;D)

To soul crushing jobs  :cheers:

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5115
  • Mr. Robot
If I shouldn't come back, I forgive you what happened between you and Sobinski. But if I come back, it's a different matter.

To Be or Not to Be

29 Points, 3 of 16 Lists, Top vote: #1 Edward J Grugg III

Poland, 1939.  A troupe of actors is preparing to perform "Gestapo", a satire of Nazi Germany.  They are also giving performances of Hamlet.  Actor Josef Tura is playing the title role and tends to make a real meal of the classic "To be or not to be" speech.  However, he's greatly distressed to see an audience member conspicuously stand up and leave the room just as he begins his speech.  He might be even more distressed if he were to realize that he was actually going off to see his wife in private.  And if that wasn't enough, there's this whole Nazi invasion thing going on.  Soon, the troupe finds themselves involved in a daring escape along with those in need.

The film is considered a classic now, but at the time, many audiences seemed to think that making fun of a real threat like the Nazis and of the invasion of Polandwas in poor taste.  History has been very kind to the film and it really is a film that shows how (to paraphrase Stephen Colbert paraphrasing Thomas More) the Devil crumbles in the face of mockery.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7NnognNifY0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7NnognNifY0</a>

If you liked this, check out... The Great Dictator

Another great satire of the Nazis, with a very powerful and stirring speech to cap it all off.  Though banned in nations with Nazi sympathies, this one actually became a critical and commercial success with Charlie Chaplin playing both the protagonist "The Jewish Barber" and the villain "Adenoid Hynkil"

Trivia According to Jack Benny's unfinished memoir, published in 1991, his own father walked out of the theater early in the film, disgusted that his son was in a Nazi uniform, and vowed not to set foot in the theater again. Benny convinced him otherwise and his father ended up loving the film, and saw it forty-six times.

The following is based on actual events. Only the names, locations and events have been changed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:33:46 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Oops! Typo! You accidentally listed the best comedy of all time as #43!

Anyway, thread locked.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
The following is based on actual events. Only the names, locations and events have been changed.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

31 Points, 2 of 16 Lists, Top vote: #5 Psycho Goatee

Ron Burgundy is the most trusted name in San Diego local news.  He and his entourage are kings of the world, but soon they find their unwavering faith in their masculine superiority threatened by up and coming journalist Veronica Corningstone.  The situation is worse when Ron and Veronica fall in love, then fall out of it when Veronica fills in for Ron one day and he handles it poorly.  Soon, Veronica becomes co-anchor and a private war brews between the two with unexpected consequences for Ron.

It's interesting that Anchorman inspired a lot of films that try to rely on improvisation and crash.  Anchorman is essentially a series of vignettes that loosely form a story but where Anchorman triumphs where many of those other films fail is probably in the editing room and knowing what scenes to keep going with and which ones to keep short.  Many of those other films feel a little sloppy but while Anchorman feels pretty loose, it's pacing is great and the scenes work really well.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ipsPgNEmAXI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ipsPgNEmAXI</a>

If you liked this, check out... Step Brothers

It feels like the success of Anchorman and Talledega Nights gave Adam McKay and Will Ferrell license to be really weird.  And this is definitely their oddest film with John C. Reilly proving that he's got fantastic comedic chops.  Will and John play two men in their 40's who act and live like children and must learn to live together when their divorced parents start co-habitating.  That's as close to a plot that we get here and it's delightful.

Trivia Many of the actors and actresses were good at improvisation, and would sometimes do up to twenty different versions of reaction lines, trying out the first thing that popped into their heads.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:33:36 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
I don't think too many of my selections are going to make the list. None, so far. I like trash and (predictably) stoner comedy. But we have a long way to go, yet...
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 372
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

31 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #5 Psycho Goatee

Johnny I just noticed this.  There are 16 lists, not 15.  I don't know if I gave you the wrong number or if you've been typing it in wrong.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
More that I didn't count them all.  Will fix.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Have not seen Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy..
Are the other 2 any good ???

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Have not seen Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy..
Are the other 2 any good ???

There's only two Anchorman movies total (though the first film had so many deleted scenes that it was edited into a sort of mini-movie.  I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it's funny but the term "movie" is probably generous).  But Anchorman is definitely a good movie and I think it is very much your sense of humour.  Anchorman 2, I haven't seen.  I hear it's competent and not bad, but pretty unessential and forgettable.  Instead of watching Anchorman 2, maybe watch Anchorman, Talladega Nights and Step Brothers, which are all in similar ramshackle but hilarious styles.