Author Topic: Now Available - Gammera the Invincible  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Now Available - Gammera the Invincible
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »

https://www.rifftrax.com/gammera-the-invincible

Do you take your Gammera with one M or two? It’s two for Gammera the Invincible, the (sort of) first movie featuring everyone’s favorite big spinny turtle!
Gam(m)era’s first appearance was in Gamera, the Giant Monster, released in Japan in 1965. A year later, American filmmakers added a few unnecessary scenes with Americans, an M to the name, and Gammera the Invincible was born!

With a large audience of “people who probably thought they were going to a Godzilla movie” the series went on for years, as anyone reading this probably knows. And all the hallmarks of the series are right here in the original: A weird child with a powerful affection for an irradiated turtle. A turtle who was born to spin and fart fire. And of course, everybody’s favorite, long scenes of rational argument among government officials concerning how to deal with the crisis!

Will Tokyo survive? Will a boy be forced to part with his pet turtle? Will Mothra ever get around to helping out? Take a flame-farting spin with Mike, Kevin, and Bill aboard Gammera the Invincible!

Written by:
Michael J Nelson, Bill Corbett, Conor Lastowka, Sean Thomason

Contributing Writers:
Molly Hodgdon, Jason Miller, Brian Boone, Zachary Schatzer

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Now Available - Gammera the Invincible
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »
Man, they are killing it with the new promotional posters lately.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »
I requested this film ages ago. Only the second of my requests to be riffed, after ATTACK FROM SPACE (1965).

American actor Alan Oppenheimer made his film debut in this version of the film. He's gone on to do a lot of acting and voice acting work, including Skeletor on the original HE-MAN cartoon.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5649
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:01:59 PM »
I'm invincible!
You're a loony.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 294
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12:13 PM »
Notice the change in the writing credits.

Did Kevin sit this one out so he could shop for his Cameron Mitchell suit?

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 279
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
That film print looks really good. I may actually get the HD version

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:56:45 AM »
That's good to hear. The Sandy Frank versions had such muddled and muddy prints. They aren't the versions I saw on tv as a kid so always felt like different movies. Looking forward to some fresh Americanized turtle.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »
That's good to hear. The Sandy Frank versions had such muddled and muddy prints. They aren't the versions I saw on tv as a kid so always felt like different movies. Looking forward to some fresh Americanized turtle.

I own five Gamera films on DVD, and they're all the early English dubs with alternate titles like DESTROY ALL PLANETS and WAR OF THE MONSTERS. Probably dubbed in Hong Kong. Since they were included in a collection set, I have often wondered if these dubbed versions are public domain, which is why I requested GAMMERA, THE INVINCIBLE. Hopefully GAMERA VS. MONSTER X will follow.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that too. House on Sorority Row didn't credit Kevin or Bill for writing. And I hate to say it, but that was one of the best written episodes in a while, so I don't know what's going on with that.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
Ported from the general Rifftrax board:

They all still write and contribute to the process just as much as ever; more so because of the volume. I believe they're not listed on the contributor credits for redundancy/repetition.

Which raises new questions about why Bill IS listed this time.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
Ported from the general Rifftrax board:

They all still write and contribute to the process just as much as ever; more so because of the volume. I believe they're not listed on the contributor credits for redundancy/repetition.

Which raises new questions about why Bill IS listed this time.

Jesse Ventura says, 'It's all a conspiracy'. Jesse also wants to know when Abraxas II will ever see the light of day.

And a mere 'Gammera' change is nothing compared to the never shown in the US second Godzilla movie since they refused to actually call him Godzilla.

Yes, marketing thought 'Gigantus the Fire Monster' would be way cooler and no one would realize it was Godzilla.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »

I own five Gamera films on DVD, and they're all the early English dubs with alternate titles like DESTROY ALL PLANETS and WAR OF THE MONSTERS. Probably dubbed in Hong Kong. Since they were included in a collection set, I have often wondered if these dubbed versions are public domain, which is why I requested GAMMERA, THE INVINCIBLE. Hopefully GAMERA VS. MONSTER X will follow.

I'd love if they riffed the one they never did for MST where the little boys go into Gamera's body in a submarine (although there is a lot of stock footage in that one, isn't there, as in Godzilla's Revenge?) Do you happen to remember the title of that one?

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 07:02:34 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that too. House on Sorority Row didn't credit Kevin or Bill for writing. And I hate to say it, but that was one of the best written episodes in a while, so I don't know what's going on with that.

Wrong thread for this but I disagree. I thought it was the weakest riff in quite a while. I thought they could have done better than all the gee-an-old-lady-isn't-sexy jokes that took up so much of the first 20 minutes.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »
Do you happen to remember the title of that one?

Gamera vs Viras?
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »
Sounds right.