Author Topic: the state of cartoons today  (Read 938 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
the state of cartoons today
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »
i do not see it in a very good place right now.

ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4512
Re: the state of cartoons today
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
Thundercats Roar doesn’t even have a full trailer of actual show footage, just a teaser intro.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
So the state of Cartoons today is actually WAY better than the state of cartoons back in my day.

It's easy to look at Thundercats Roar or the new Ninja Turtles, and say, "Well those don't look like my Thundercats and Ninja Turtles, so they suck." But that's not entirely fair. It's certainly fair to say, "I don't care for that art style."  (I don't on both counts.)

But these are just the teasers. I've found that (generally speaking) the writing in cartoons is almost always of a higher standard than the writing back in the '80s. I was raised on cleverly disguised commercials. And I loved them, and STILL love them. But I can't deny that writing in cartoons is WAAAY better than it used to be. We didn't have anything on the scope of Steven Universe or Adventure Time when I was growing up, and even "reinvented" shows like Teen Titans Go can be hilarious if you let go of the disappointment that it's not more of the early '00s Teen Titans.

Is it disappointing that they actually MADE the Thundercats show everyone wants this one to be 7 years ago and nobody watched it? Yes. But that doesn't mean modern animation is doomed. Just means that The Thundercats we knew and loved are a hard sell.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
Granted a few of those shows didn't have the best animation, with blatant, noticeable errors like the GI Joe gif with the dinosaurs that's circulating around the net.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
So the state of Cartoons today is actually WAY better than the state of cartoons back in my day.

It's easy to look at Thundercats Roar or the new Ninja Turtles, and say, "Well those don't look like my Thundercats and Ninja Turtles, so they suck." But that's not entirely fair. It's certainly fair to say, "I don't care for that art style."  (I don't on both counts.)

But these are just the teasers. I've found that (generally speaking) the writing in cartoons is almost always of a higher standard than the writing back in the '80s. I was raised on cleverly disguised commercials. And I loved them, and STILL love them. But I can't deny that writing in cartoons is WAAAY better than it used to be. We didn't have anything on the scope of Steven Universe or Adventure Time when I was growing up, and even "reinvented" shows like Teen Titans Go can be hilarious if you let go of the disappointment that it's not more of the early '00s Teen Titans.

Is it disappointing that they actually MADE the Thundercats show everyone wants this one to be 7 years ago and nobody watched it? Yes. But that doesn't mean modern animation is doomed. Just means that The Thundercats we knew and loved are a hard sell.
My only beef so far with Thundercats' design is that they don't look cat-like enough.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 07:09:27 PM »
I LOVE the new Thundercats look.

Haven't seen anything for the new turtles yet.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
I LOVE the new Thundercats look.

It seems like the kind of art style that will grow on me if I end up liking the show. I felt that way about Erica Henderson's run on Squirrel Girl at first. Now I'm sad to see her go.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5181
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
Yeah, I find overall the overall quality of modern day cartoons generally better than in times past.  More imaginative animation, better storytelling, more insightful.  There have been great cartoons in the past and there will be crummy cartoons in the present (breaks my heart to say this but most seem to be from Canada.  WHY CAN'T WE GET IT RIGHT?!).  But it seems silly to post despairing about the "state of modern cartoons" based solely on two cartoons that haven't aired yet.  Wouldn't it make more sense to be critical of what IS airing?  I probably won't agree with you (since I already stated my feelings) but I would be able to take it more seriously.

I'm not particularly excited about the new Thundercats cartoon, but the teaser intro looks really neat to me.  I also checked the trailer for the Ninja Turtles and thought "the designs are a little busier than I'd like but it seems perfectly alright to me."

And that's not even talking about animation aimed at teenagers and adults.  Bob's Burgers, Archer and Bojack Horseman are examples of what I feel represent a resurgence in that area, too.  I love the fact that Bojack doesn't feel the need to always be a comedy and can easily be a dark examination of depression as much as it can be very, VERY silly.  Looking forward to Disenchantment (the first images came out today.  I'm super down for this!)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »

I don't know what the quality will be like, but I feel like it was greenlit based on the creators telling some producer "Yeah, sure this will be the next My Little Pony.  See, we even have magic in the title."  That said, I wouldn't mind a cute show based around love and empathy.  That's why Steven Universe is so great (that and bad-ass fights.  But Care Bears is allowed to have those, too.)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »

I don't know what the quality will be like, but I feel like it was greenlit based on the creators telling some producer "Yeah, sure this will be the next My Little Pony.  See, we even have magic in the title."  That said, I wouldn't mind a cute show based around love and empathy.  That's why Steven Universe is so great (that and bad-ass fights.  But Care Bears is allowed to have those, too.)
I was debating whether to put this in the TV News thread or here which is becoming the tv reboot discussion thread.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
2 thoughts, now that I've looked at it more:
1. Is the blue one looking for a fistfight?
2. Is orange doing "finger guns"?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:25:12 AM by The Lurker »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
Possibly yes to both.  The blue one is Grumpy Bear, the only bear I found to have a personality despite a lot of them having names that imply a personality.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »
I enjoyed this tweet:

100% of the guys hating on cute versions of their old cartoons also buy funko pops yeah?
FINE